Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H.O.P.E (homosexuals opposed to pride extremism)
trialbyerror Wrote:Hi dreamer
We have been down this road before on GS. Non the less, I will re-itterate what I said then.

There is nothing, and I mean absolutley nothing to be proud about those events.
The event itself is not the reason behind "gay pride", but the act of coming together as one, showing pride (whatever that means for the individual at the event) for being gay, loving and supporting one another, and not giving a shit what others think... that is the meaning behind "gay pride". If that means, for some people, dancing around half-naked shaking their ass, so be it! I wouldn't do that personally, but I support fully their right, whomever chooses to express their gay pride in that way, to do so!

I am, what according to southbiochem, would be considered "regular, average acting gay dude", and unlike him, I don't feel the need to be embarrassed, personally, for what others within the gay community act like or do at gay pride events, or elsewhere. Why should I feel shame, as a gay man? And who am I to condemn others for celebrating the way in which they desire?

Of course, as I mentioned before, that's not the only means of showing "gay pride", besides the silliness that evokes such embarrassment and shame from those on this thread, there are deeper ways that "gay pride" is shown at those events. Community, support, family, and love are also represented and promoted in gay pride events, maybe less or more in different parades, but nonetheless the core message still remains, no matter how much the wild side may over power our sensitive, conservative brothers and sisters.

trialbyerror Wrote:They are demeaning, and an embarrasment and an affront me, and everybody else, whether they realise it or not
I am within the realm of "everybody else", and I do realize what you're saying; I understand your sheltered perspective, but I don't share it. It's not that I don't realize that I am somehow "subconsciously" embarrassed or outraged by the half-naked man dirty dancing at a gay pride parade, or that I should be, it's just that I'm not! I don't feel that I'm being degraded by what others do, and I have no reason to. I guess, I'm just a "live and let live" kind of guy. I appreciate and accept that sexuality exists, so I don't feel shame by the way others choose to express their own.

If some simpleton decides to use a few wild moments of a celebratory parade against an entire community of people, [B]that's their problem, and their ignorance will never evoke shame or guilt on my part, thus, I don't find such things degrading whatsoever! For those who do, I pity you, but I won't share your pain. Life is far too short to waste my time in doing so.[/B]

trialbyerror Wrote:I personally have suffered greatly as a consequence of one such event which almost cost me the opportunity of fostering my son.
Your isolated personal experience, while unfortunate, shouldn't be reason to ban all gay pride parades around the world, in their entirety, including both the tiny "embarrassing" parts, and the majority of good achieved by them as a whole.

trialbyerror Wrote:Thankfully here in SA it has died the death it deserves.

The moment you have to create a public specticle of yourself to achieve recognition you have lost your argument and become the laughing stock of the rest of society.

No matter what happens in gay pride events, regardless of them altogether, gay people will always be the laughing stocks for the majority to gawk at for many other reasons. If it's not for a little fun at a gay pride parade, it's for something else.

To think, that those who can't decipher a little fun from a whole community of people could influence such strong feelings of shame and embarrassment, or entice further homophobia, onto everybody else is sad and pathetic in itself.... THAT'S THE REAL PROBLEM, NOT some half-naked faggot prancing on a float at a parade! It may always be an issue that needs resolve, and the non-conservative moments of a few gay pride events, with or without them, won't change that.

partis Wrote:No ive got no problem with feminine men, im not exactly masculine myself, ive got no problem with gay clubs or crossdressers, i look amazing in a dress Wavey

I even like the idea of gay holiday resorts.

you can make that association on your own!

I believe in the freedom to express yourself so whether it be a feminine man or a gay pride event...rock on.

I don't go to pride events but I fully support them.

I believe pride parades, at least the typical ones, become excessive once a country has reached a certain degree of acceptance. I understand that the LGBT community in very oppressive nations feel the need to show their government they exist by getting together in unity, but I'm a little sceptical in more tolerant countries.

Sweden, for example, where I come from, is generally very accepting. There's not a single political party with influence that opposes equality for LGBT people and most people feel either positively or neutrally about homosexuality. As far as I'm concerned, the "LGBT community" here ought to go from "We need to show people we exist" to "We need to show people that our sexuality does not define us".

Then again, I believe they have the right to keep parading if they want to. It bothers me when people go "But the most flamboyant homosexuals give all of us a bad reputation". So fucking what, if society demands normalization from a group of individuals before they can become accepting it would be a very sad and disappointing thing for the group to actually give in. We strive for acceptance, not acceptance under some bizarre, normative conditions.

Please, get face-to-face with some of the survivors of the Stonewall riots (the event that kicked off the gay rights movement) and tell THEM to stay indoors and HIDE!

You sound like all those bigots who say, "I don't care if you're gay, just don't throw it in my face." You know, don't make me face my hatred and bigotry.

I've attended our local Pride Parade (and events) on and off now for 10 years. Each here it's garnered more attendees and vendors. Each year more mainstream companies, organizations and elected officials take part in Pride.

I've marched in the parade 5 times and it's amazing and great to see so many families with children (gay and str8 families). Here in our area, Pride has become a well-respected and attended event.

So, i guess the question is, why seeing gay folks express themselves ONE DAY A YEAR - cause you such embarassment? Yes, most Pride parades have hot muscle guys wearing speedos, drag queens, and leather guys marching. But gee, I can see those folks at any gay bar. So, why is doing what these folks do INSIDE A GAY BAR such an issue when they do it OUTSIDE?

Could it be you have some other issues going on?

You sound like so many other bitter queens who's self-esteem is so low that they have to paint our community with glittering stereotypes: All gay men are pigs, gay bars are only for guys who want to hook up, etc.

Oh, and if you've NEVER gone to a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans, LA in the USA, you might be surprised to see thousands of str8 folks dressed up in drag, adorned in feathers, various forms of undress and millions of parade attendees showing their breasts and cocks for plastic beads. Where's your righteous indignation there?

Bitter, Party of one? Your table is ready!

i think part of the issue is that it makes people think that all gays are like the crazy in-your-face flamboyant pvc clad crazy people who dominate pride , which leads to homophobia from people in all kinds of ways.

Not even going to bother replying m8

movements have a beginning and end… just waiting for someone to mention stonewall. Actually the article i mentioned addressed that and what humbletangerine said in his first paragraph.

And yes if they challenged me i would say it to there face

Thanks bye.

megumidesu Wrote:i think part of the issue is that it makes people think that all gays are like the crazy in-your-face flamboyant pvc clad crazy people who dominate pride , which leads to homophobia from people in all kinds of ways.

Should we silence members of our community we deem "unfit" in order to appease homophobes?

I grew up in Sydney, home to one of the largest Gay and Lesbian Mardis Gras. I never went to one because I personally don't feel the need to celebrate my sexuality, just like I don't feel the need to celebrate my Hazel Eyes.

I find it offensive that gay men are presented as scantily clad faggots and lesbians are presented as leather clad bikies because that is the stereotype that sticks with people, so when someone like me comes out the response is 'No way, you don't act gay' and personally that is the most offensive thing I have heard pass the lips of any human being.

Mardis Gras was originally a protest starting back in 1979 to protest the arrest, bashing and murder of gay men and recognition of our relationship rights, the protests has served it's purpose, but now the mardis Gras parades are now becoming counter productive to what they were originally intended. They have come full circle and are now just fuelling the fears of the bigots.

If I was older in the 1970's and 80's I would get involved as it was a 'movement' back then. Today as it stands it is nothing more than a dick swinging, tit flaunting glitterazzi in your face fuck off we are gay parade that pisses more people of than it makes happy.

That's my 2 cents.

East Wrote:Should we silence members of our community we deem "unfit" in order to appease homophobes?

no , that's not what i'm saying.
i'm not for or against pride. i never go , except to get the cheap booze in the evening , so i can't really say anything about it. what i was trying to point out was why people might be against it , or , at the very least , pissed off with what certain aspects of it are doing to lgbt attitudes ~~

The sad thing is...oppressed groups of people will oppress each other and a lot of people in this thread have proven that sociological phenomenon is true.

I would suggest trying to rise above it because the next fingers that are pointed could be pointed at you.