Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to meet with gay people in NYC
I know this should be easy in NYC, but I just don't know how to. I really want to meet gay people and make friends with them. When I go to bars and clubs, everybody is hooking up, or has already known each other. I feel like an idiot standing there. I am usually very outgoing when meeting with new people. but at clubs or bars, I just feel really awkward talking to complete strangers..

I would really appreciate any advice!! Thank you guys!

I'm not that familiar with the gay scene in NYC, but ya clubs and bars tend to not be the best places to meet new faces. I would consider looking for community organizations and events. If you're at college you could look into the campus LGBT organization too.

Meeting people - straight or gay - in NYC, is like meeting people anywhere - if you're genuinely interested in them, they usually respond in kind, the city is just geography. The Piers on the West side highway on weekend days, in the West Village are teaming with all sorts of gay people hanging out and socializing; the East Village has some really - small and laid back gay Coffey Houses and bars that are very friendly.

Pick up a copy of Time Out and the Village Voice for alternative venues/ideas for meeting people. See if you can get an invite to the Soho House, from a friend or co-worker, who is a member, then hang out by the pool on the roof, or in the lounge (not a bar) on the 5th floor.

The Meat Packing district - always a good area to meet new people - as well as, union square and Washington Square - during the day. Just grab some food from a vendor and hang out on a bench or the grass for a while, not only will you meet people you should be quite entertained, as well.

If you want to avoid cliques don't hang out too much in Chelsea - Hell's Kitchen is fast going that way too.

Here a link that may be helpful http://www.meetup.com/non-scene-gay-20-somethings-NYC/.

Don't forget the volunteer venues in NYC that you could explore.

Hope this helps.....

behrens2001 Wrote:. I feel like an idiot standing there. I am usually very outgoing when meeting with new people. but at clubs or bars, I just feel really awkward talking to complete strangers..
LOL I'm in London, in the same situation. I'm n0t interested on meeting people in a dance club o something like this, I don't know what to say, I think I need to share an interest... I'm crazy...(?)
I need to start something like a school Frog