Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just love Opera... what about you? What's you're aria
LONDONER Wrote:Thanks Alex, what a lovely memory to keep and cherish. And why shouldn't a black guy not have as good a voice as a white guy?

Well black guys have wonderful voice, I went with jake so many time when he was singing Negro spirituals, but rarely a black dude would ever go through Opera. That's why I was so surprised. And don't get me wrong I am so fucking proud of him. His voice resonate in me right now just remembering our wedding. My god what a day it was.

It doesn't surprise me that there are venues all over the UK. I know just occasionally there are broadcasts in at least one cinema where I live in the South of Spain but this is a bit of a cultural desert down here and culture has to be paid for and if there is little demand, cinemas won't take it up.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Even though I'm a full blown faggot, I'm not a huge fan of opera. Too sentimental for my taste.

I did, however, enjoy the soundtrack of Woody Allen's Match Point, composed entirely of opera themes. Allen's film is a modern adaptation of a greek tragedy and the opera music was a brilliant touch.

LONDONER Wrote:It doesn't surprise me that there are venues all over the UK. I know just occasionally there are broadcasts in at least one cinema where I live in the South of Spain but this is a bit of a cultural desert down here and culture has to be paid for and if there is little demand, cinemas won't take it up.

I thought you lived in London. There are participating cinemas in Malaga, Barcelona and Madrid provinces.

And you get to hear live zarzuelas. I remember Los cadetes de la reina from my adolescence.

palbert Wrote:I thought you lived in London. There are participating cinemas in Malaga, Barcelona and Madrid provinces.

And you get to hear live zarzuelas. I remember Los cadetes de la reina from my adolescence.

Yes, I knew about the participating cinema in Málaga but as I said, the occasions are few. Do you know the MET website that shows what will be shown in Málaga?

Sorry, zarzuelas just aren't to my taste, all a bit too light.

MisterLove Wrote:Even though I'm a full blown faggot, I'm not a huge fan of opera. Too sentimental for my taste.

You could hardly call "Tosca" sentimental. Everyone dies in the end. What about "Rigaletto"? where the father, without realising it, kills his own daughter. "La Traviata" where the heroine dies of consumption as does Mimi in "La Boheme". I've just touched on the popular ones but there are plenty more. Try Alban Berg's "Lulu".

LONDONER Wrote:Yes, I knew about the participating cinema in Málaga but as I said, the occasions are few. Do you know the MET website that shows what will be shown in Málaga?

Unfortunately I don't know; but you can find Spain listed at http://www.metopera.org/metopera/broadca...nates.aspx

and go directly to the various countries (which will take you to cinemas) to find out. It looks like Yelmocines is doing all briadcasts: http://www.yelmocines.es/opera-cine-en-directo

palbert Wrote:It looks like Yelmocines is doing all broadcasts: http://www.yelmocines.es/opera-cine-en-directo

Mil gracias palbert. I have subscribed to their bulletin so I will know exactly what is on and when.

^^ Hope you're able to go. For info on the productions see http://www.metopera.org.

I'll probably catch several of them here. I'm really interested in The Merry Widow. And maybe Cav/Pag for the schmaltz for the year.

palbert Wrote:I'm really interested in The Merry Widow. And maybe Cav/Pag for the schmaltz for the year.

Definitely will try to catch "The Marriage of Figaro" and "Bluebeard's Castle" - wow! conducted by Valery Gergiev.