Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In Gay Marriage, Who Should Change Their Last Name?
So, let's say 2 guys or 2 girls get married. Which one should change their name, or should they both keep their original last name?

up to who ever, I might change my name for the right person!!

Why should someone change their name? :confused:
I think I would hyphenate both last names for kids.

I don't see why either person should change their last name. There are many cultures that don't have either person change their name due to marriage.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

A) No one changes there last name.

B) One wants to change there last name.

C) who ever has the coolest last name.

D) The last name which sounds cool alongside the rest of the name.

E) Hyphanate.

Can't think of anything else.

Rawr Wrote:A) No one changes there last name.

B) One wants to change there last name.

C) who ever has the coolest last name.

D) The last name which sounds cool alongside the rest of the name.

E) Hyphanate.

Can't think of anything else.

I agreee, like I said its up to the person who wants to change their name.

If you dont want to change your name dont, enough said really lol!!

I would be inclined to hyphenate my last name if I ever get married.

Marvinteck Wrote:I would be inclined to hyphenate my last name if I ever get married.

Depends on the name, hmmmm not a fan of my surname lol!!

It isnt an issue really this, just some people like to think it underminds them which it doesnt......you dont have to do anything you dont want too and if your partner demends you to change your name you shoulnt really be with them..

If I WOULD marriage then only in pagan-ritual ... and then I would allow my man to take my name... Cool

Essentially this question is suggesting that the stereotypical heterosexual roles should also apply to homosexual relationships. And I don't think this is really where we want to be heading... Clearly the heterosexual community has destroyed the 'institution' of marriage with a divorce rate of approximately 40-50% for first time marriages and 60-67% for second time marriages, where 25% of women have experienced domestic abuse, 3/4 of all Americans know someone personally who has been a victim of domestic violence, and not even to mention the unfair marital roles where one person (typically the female in heterosexual relationships) is responsible for not only pulling in their share of the income, but also taking care of the children (possibly parents as well) and the household.

With new laws allowing the marriage of homosexual couples, I think we should see this as an opportunity to change these imbalanced, unfair, traditional roles. Each individual in the relationship should have an equal stake in the relationship!

So to answer your question, as most everyone else has said, if one of the individuals desires to change their name, they may, but neither should be forced (and clearly no one is being forced) to give up a part of their identity in exchange for their partner's. Personally, though I have a love-hate relationship with my name (as I'd imagine most people do to some extent), I can't possibly see myself, in any situation, giving up something as closely tied to my identity as my name is for someone else.

(Maybe I did blow this question a bit out of proportion, but I'm young, and everything's still a cause for me. Smile)