Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inheritance Fears
My grandfather,
who lived in Finland,
on my mother's side,
passed away a little over three years ago.

We (my mother and I),
after jumping through numerous legal hoops,
are finally(after selling his home),
having some money coming our way very soon.

I'm inheriting a little piece of that pie....
about 15 grand...
maybe more
(depending on what's left in his bank accounts)...

Right now, my life consists of nothing.

I'm held down by a severe case of agoraphobia
which has had me by the neck since the 9th grade.

Thus, I'm not working (I'm very poor), or going to school,
and I live with my mother who is very dependent on my company
(She has her share of mental problems).

I'd like for this little income to help push me into saddle,
when it comes to setting up for the rest of my life,
but I want to do it right!

I know it's barely any money,
in the scope of things,
and I have to make some decisions fast,
before I'm back to being the financially challenged loser I am today.

My mom wants to move to Finland
(since we'll now have the money to fly there),
and start a new life.

Yes, I'll have tons of great opportunities there
(being a dual citizen),
aside from getting to know my enormous extended family.

I don't speak the language,
and I have fears of losing all I've ever known
(friends and such).

If I were to follow my mother's lead,
I've thought that maybe,
I'd take advantage of the free education there,
then come back to the states
(assuming I don't like it there)
to start an good life for myself,
while reintegrating with my old friends here.

[SIZE="5"]I would [COLOR="Purple"]love some insight,
on what you would do,
if in my situation,
please.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

thank you!
Confusedmile:

I think you should try and work on the agoraphobia first and foremost. If you can't overcome that, then it doesn't matter where you are living, it will still be with you.

Perhaps having some free cash will give you the opportunity to have some intensive therapy to help either cure the condition or give you the means to keep it under control. Get that sorted, and the world becomes your oyster.

Besides, Finland is a beautiful country, you don't want to be stuck inside unable to experience it!

Good Luck,
ObW
X

Most Finns, especially young ones, speak good English, so the language issue isn't a big deal. I'd probably go fo it, actually, but then I'm the type - I relocated to the States from England when I was young. I don't know if you're that type though.

You'd probably regret it if you didn't do it....

Research. LOTS AND LOTS of research.

If you plan to move to Finland from the USA, then that 15 grand will just about cover your costs, and you will end up with nothing again.

You also have to take into account that you MAY have to pay taxes on that inheritance, so that will be LESS money than what you expect to get.

If you want to do something with the money to help plan for your future, then I would suggest speaking with many different types of investment bankers, retirement plan agents, and other types of investment people. REAL investment people, not the ones that advertise all these money making gimmicks. Just get some advice, you DONT have to give them anything. Just listen and take notes.

If I were you, I would look at a retirement account or IRA, or something of that nature and put half of the money you get into that. Catch up on bills with the rest.

Unless your mother really, REALLY wants to move to Finland, then I would set it up with family members over there to have her live with a relative there. It would still take a chunk of money to move her, but it is cheaper for one person than two.

Those are my suggestions.

Be smart about it. This, as you well know, is a crucial period in your life. You've been given a gift, an opportunity. What you choose to do with this money will have have ramifications that will reverberate across your future.

What you need to do is this:

Build yourself an in-ground pool in the shape of a bowl. Fill the pool with milk (it must be replenished every day, don't want to be gross now, do we?) and your choice of breakfast cereal. Purchase a nice spoon costume (I've provided an example below) and then ... just go crazy.

[Image: 6124-Adult-Spoon-Costume-large.jpg]

At least... that's what I'd do. But it's your life man.

Hello Dreamer

Yep, I'm a Finn and I would be happy to answer to your questions, etc.

First of all, most of the Finns speak English, so you don't need to worry about the language problems in the beginning. Even those who can't are usually friendly and eager to help you if you need help. We are little shy and small talk is not our strongest skills, but say some compliments about our beautiful country (and mean it also) and you will get along quite nicely Wink

So, just contact me if you want to, like I said I would be happy to help you Smile

Ystävällisin terveisin (translation: sincerely),
SilverFrost

if your a US citizen you will to file income taxes but the inheritance is not taxed

There's an inheritance tax in wa, it's state-based.