Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is "homosexual" too clinical?
I agree, Virge, that it is not good to be grouped with guys who wear ties. Damned things are probably a throwback to some sort of bondage ritual practiced in the dark ages!

As for the use of the word "homosexual" in the review linked to in the OP, whaddabunchohooey!

The writer should go back to high school English class and spend a while learning to communicate. The show sounds bad and the review seems to be an even worse effort than the show.

Calling me homosexual is not inaccurate, though I admit that some feel that it is merely descriptive and some pejorative. People are welcome to call me whatever they prefer. I don't pay attention to most of them anyway.
I bid NO Trump!

An interesting discussion. Thanks.

Sorry to have not noticed the same two months ago.

I have absolutely no doubt that gay is the preferred term among college students, but they are hardly representative of the generations older than them.

That said, I think the majority of homosexuals are more comfortable with gay for no other reason than that is the preference in mass media. We are creatures of what we hear whether it is incorrect grammar, slang, or other.

I think the main gripe against homosexual isn't that it is condescending, contemptuous or anything like that. At its core, it's more intellectual, and most people don't like that. It's not much different than the prevalence of the adjective "cool."

People who use the term "cool" would undoubtedly never assess themselves as judgmental, but the term is little else. Whereas more specific terms like "accepting" or "contemporary" or "progressive" or "casual" would be far more accurate in most applications, the term "cool" is preferred, expressing little more than approval. The same is largely true of the common use of gay today. It only sounds neutral because it has been used to be so.

And I wouldn't argue the ease of using homosexual in any casual conversation, but then again, despite the much-ballyhooed sexual revolution, I'm not often in circles that discuss sex in any regard, so it doesn't come up naturally in conversation. I wouldn't likewise contend that heterosexuals refer to themselves that way with any grace, but it also isn't something I hear them discussing either.

homosexual or gay are fine for me, I most often use 'gay'.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

This is a really interesting discussion to me, as in my native language there are only two ways of talking about someone that is gay, which is either 'homo' or something that'd be translated as 'faggot'. Needless to say, everyone just says homo. Never thought of the idea that in English it makes a difference whether you call someone gay or homosexual.

Darius Wrote:I have 3 brothers, all straight, the only difference between them and me is that I am not straight.
We share the same lifestyle, culture, religion, politics, etc. We're more alike than different.
I never understood why this one difference should put me into another class of people.

I relate darius. I have way more in common with my straight friends than my gay ones... It's just the way I was raised I guess. I like working on cars and trucks, and doing all sorts of things most of gay friends around here think is weird... we like the same music, sports, blah blah and the only real difference is what we do with our weenies when we aren't around each other.... so why is that so much more important than all the other things?

Virge Wrote:. . . the only real difference is what we do with our weenies . . .

*snickers*

You said "weenies."

*titters*

They're all fine by me, call me everything. I'll be Everything

Hardheaded1 Wrote:*snickers*

You said "weenies."

*titters*

Right. What were we talking about again?

ShiftyNJ Wrote:Right. What were we talking about again?

Titters n weenies, weeners n titties

Weenies?

Would that be with ketchup or mustard?

Of course, good buns make all the difference.
I bid NO Trump!