Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it really Gays vs. Religion?
nullnaught Wrote:The bible says horrible things about gays, rewrite the bible please.

It does, and was also used to condone slavery. It also says that no woman shall have any authority over any man, or teach, and that they must remain silent. However a lot of gay hatin' er oops, loving fundies will say that the passage about women is to be taken in the context of those times. At which point I grin and say yes, then homosexuality too. It can be vastly amusing to watch the expressions that run across their faces.

I am a pagan...we don't have that problem. It is funny though how many Christians think pagans are a product of Satan too...I think it is funny.

I have no problem with any person who believes in anything as long as they understand that what they believe in is a BELIEF...that includes atheists.

I hate it when someone who believes something insists on shoving it down other people's throats...a lot of religious people AND atheists do this.

When religious people try to legislate their beliefs....I have a problem. It is where my problem begins. The bigots use God and that "book" as an excuse for their bigotry.

The person who makes the positive claim should have the burden of proof.

All bullying is wrong and that cuts both ways.

I'm not a religious person, but leave some doubt to my conviction that there is no god.

I love Christian values, by which I mean 6 of the 10 commandments (except those about god himself, he has such low self esteem that he needs at least 4 mentions in 10 commandments?) I also love the reverence of all living things, forgiveness of sins (again, not from god but to/from other people) and other great stuff. Everyone who argues that those values are universal and appear in other religions as well, is right, but nevertheless should thank Christianity and to a smaller extent Judaism and Islam on his knees for spreading those values, which make human life civilized today, across the globe.

As for the Religious Wrong, as I call them, they can all go to hell. Others in this thread have blasted their bible-a-la-carte interpretations more eloquently than I ever could. The other Christians get a raw deal from us gays. Unfortunately their efforts do not find their way into today's news cycle, that only showcases the loudest and most extreme elements.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

Being able to marry my bf in my home state now has made my life complete. Smile

Go gay marriage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually it is simply as it goes with this.

[Image: 10449904_10152260489543198_1477970487699118325_n.jpg]

*but sadly not every Christian stereotypes as in this case gets it Wink

Horrendous things have been done to untold numbers of people in the name of religion.

That being said, I think that sometimes a distinction needs to be made between people who are religious and organized religion.

I know a number of who practice a religion that condemns homosexuality. However, they do not bring that into their day-to-day lives. They support me and my causes, and generally see no reason to hold back the gay community in any way.

Last week my Aunt passed away. The wake was yesterday (Sunday) and the funeral today. It took place in a VERY rural small town in conservative Pennsylvania, the people attending would all be church-going people. I went as a favor to my dad (it was his sister) and prepared myself for a weekend in the closet, or dealing with some bigotry.

Much to my surprise, these church-going people were not only accepting, but willing to share their own stories with me. One person had long time friends who were getting legally married, and they asked for her two daughters to be in the wedding.

Another supported the overturn on the ban of gay marriage in their state.

Lastly, a woman had recently started her own photography business, being hired for weddings. She's already photographed two gay weddings. Next week she is scheduled to photograph a male/female wedding, but the female is transgendered, and MTF.

I believe that for some people, religion serves a great purpose in their lives. I would never put them down for that. However, I am also always on guard for those who would take religion and twist it to suit their own needs, and to persecute others unfairly.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!