Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this what living together means?
I am confused.

I have been with my partner for seven years, we dated for 6 months and then we moved in together. Things were going well for the first two years or so. Then the relationship started to change. We were having less and less intimate moments, and once I caught him on a website looking for sex. In itself it wouldnt have been a major issue, I can understand that things like this can happen. Sex between us has never been that great, we both tend to be top and that sort of limited us a bit. However when I confronted him about the issue, not arguing, but in a calm manner, he admitted that he wasn't attracted to me any more because I put on some weight. Note that i am 173 cm and 75 kg, hardly obese!! But he said he's always been attracted to skinny men. I kind of accepted that but it hurt really deep and affected my self confidence a lot. After that we've hardly had any sex as i don't feel comfortable with it any longer. The thought that he doesnt find me attractive is always in the back of my mind, and I also started thinking we were doing it more because "we had to" as a couple rather than because we wanted to.
This wouldn't have been a major issue as such, I do love him and loved our life together. We talked about it and we agreed we could go and have sex with other men, just as long as we didn;t bring anybody home (as it is "our" special place), and also I said I didn't want to know about it.

For the past three years things have just changed so much I don't see what difference there is between us two and a couple of good friends, or two brothers. We both have been leading very busy lives, and we'd see each other just about at week ends and at bed time. We are always very affectionate with each other, lots of kisses and cuddles and we always go to sleep in each other's arms.
However, we don't seem to be doing anything together any more, we've been going to separate holidays, and although we seem to be getting along well, occasionally we argue over really stupid things. This generally happens when we spend more time together. In short, we seem to be happier when we don't see each other that much. I spoke to some of my straight friends who have been married for many years and they all said to me that even when the attraction goes there's still the joy of sharing and doing things together, which keeps the relationship going. I don't think we've got that left either.

I had hoped when we started living together that he'd be the one to spend the rest of my life with, however I am not sure about that any more. I have the feeling we are getting to the end of it all but i am confused as I don't know whether it is only a crisis and things can be mended, if all relationships are like this and people do stick together "cause it's convenient, comfortable and generally easier than splitting up", if i should put any more effort into it...

It's also hard because I feel I cannot talk to him about it, as he always seem to interpret my words in the worst possible way . I suspect if I were to mention all of this it would equal to killing the relationship for good. We've always had some communication issues, although minor, as we come from different countries (and ethnicity and religion), and perhaps also cause english is not our first language. This has caused some colossal misunderstandigs at times.

I am 33 and this is my one and only long term relationship, I dont know any other gay couple that have been together as long as we have and I feel I have no model to compare myself with.
I am not a quitter and don't want to give up unless I am sure there is no hope for it. However i find myself being more frequently unhappy and sometime think it'd be best for both of us if we found somebody else to share our lives with. and when it's particularly bad I just think i'd be better off on my own !

Any advice is welcome ;o)

Consider this:

Tell your partner that you are not happy with your current situation and would he go to relationship counseling with you. If he declines then you should really probably move on and take some time to enjoy being you.

I've said the same thing " I wish I was on my own" so many times that I've lost count..... But those thoughts were temporary and usually brought about by a disagreement (argument) with my mate. Keep in mind that no relationship is perfect, and requires considerable effort at times to get past some of the problems that arise in a relationship. Your mate telling you he is attracted to skinny men - is no doubt one of those defining moments in a relationship. About 15 years ago, my mate (in a moment of anger) told me I was a lazy slob.... OUCH!!!!! I was furious, so I immediately sold my mustang convertible for considerably less than it was worth and went on a vacation with the proceeds (smile). He was terrified that I had left him and was calling me a dozen times a day. Since then, he has never called me any derogatory names...

The strong romantic relationship you felt during the first couple of years can gradually develop into a feeling that it is "comfortable & convenient", this is not unusual or a sign that the relationship is coming to a close. It's just the natural progression that most relationships take. Having sex less frequently is also part of this progression.

My advice would be to stay together and continue to work things out, your relationship doesn't sound like a bad one. Be patient & let your partner know you love him. In my personal experience, we don't show or tell our mates that we love them as often as we should.

My best wishes to you and your mate.

Wait, So it's in all long term relationships that the romance disappears? :O

Hello Wink

Thanks for your replies... I am about to go home and we will talk...wish me good luck ;o)

SlipknotRlZZ, for some people it doesnt...for many that I know it does but it's replaced by equally valuable things like complete trust and a lifetime companionship Confusedmile:

For me it seems that you have to decide what is important for you..... staying in this situation or break up and change. For my experiences it is much better for your soul, your feelings to be a single for a time ..and start new, with a new partnership and a partner who cares for you, really loves you and so on.
It can be much better to end a partnership as to hold a partnership but being unhappy.... or maybe it only hurts you.

Hello there,
I was saddenned to hear that your partner was and is nothing more than a shallow sod... How dare he fall out of love with you just because you put on a few pounds... Not being funny but you are still you with or without the extra weight... My ex partner and me were in your situation a little while ago... After five years i ended it due to stress of being repossessed and we got a mortgage together... We find this can work better than when we lived as a couple... Maybe try this if his truely shallow with you... Simple facts though... Implement rules such as.... No shags to be bought home , no rubbing in each others faces as brownie points are for girls!.. My ex says he loves me still and a few nights ago i told him i was falling out of love with him as his done some things that have hurt me recently so hold in there because eventually you will find either the spark re ignite and he realise your still as beautiful to him to what you were before OR your find a more loving better partner and he will realise what his comments to you have cost

Big bloody hugs

zeon xx

Living together is a huge step, the person you move in with must not have any dirty or lazy tendencies, If he or she doesn't wash their hands after using restroom that is a sure sign they are lazy and not good to move in with

If my boyfriend had sex with other people he'd be out on the street. There's no point in being with someone if you're not committed to them. I've been with my boy for 4 years, and the past three months we've had more fights than the last 3+ years combined. I still love him, and we work through our arguments. I couldn't care less if he put on a few pounds, I love him for who he is and how he makes me feel when we wake up together every morning.

Sounds corny I know, but I'm a firm believer in the whole "finding the perfect person" idea, and I'm amazed it happened to me at such a young age.

Your relationship doesn't sound healthy just by the fact that he cares if you gain a few pounds and you both sleep with other people. What's the point in you two being "together"?

Here, I hope this can bring you some thoughts

Also, you are not fat with that weight and height lol.