Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kansas brings back the Jim Crow era... With a new target
http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/...ation.html

How sad is that?!

If there's anything Americans are good at, it's forgetting (or rather conveniently ignoring or re-framing) the evils of the past so we can doing the same wretched shit.

Gov. Slam Bareback and his congressional goons need to get a nice colon scrub so they can see what they're missing.

I'm just so horrified and upset by this. It hurts me, even though I don't live in Kansas. I can't imagine how devastating it would be to gay Kansans.

ugh...

it's like for every step in the right direction a step back follows..

makes me sad about Americans wanting to have only the freedom to be themselves..

but give it time, things will change..

in the meantime know your enemies, go vote for the ones that won't do this.

I know for example that here voting for any right winger is a bad idea overall..more so for LGBT people so I never vote for any of those even though I have a fairly conservative mindset myself.

Imagine how sad it is when you live in this state? It's a real huge ducking step backwards and it makes me fucking sick

[SIZE="3"]This is very hearbreaking and i feel for all in that state.

I knew dorothy left kansas for a reason[/SIZE]

This proposed law was created to protect religious people who wish to discriminate against LGBT folks.. I know that sounds terrible, but that is what it is about.

Unfortunately, the law leaves so many loopholes open,,, that it literally gives anyone the right to discriminate against LGBT folks. All you have to do (to discriminate) is say it's against your religious beliefs.

The good part,,, is this proposed law (as it is presently written) won't pass constitutional muster and will be overturned "eventually". I say "eventually" because it will take time for it to be challenged in the court system.

The proposed law is blatantly discriminatory and something I'd expect in places like Uganda, Russia, or Iran,,, but not from a State within the United States.
We Have Elvis !!

Well, I wouldn't call it a Jim Crow era. I've seen a lot of homophobes twist quotes like that and try to make it imply you think you suffer just as much as the African Americans did under Jim Crow.

As for the new bill:
Quote: If a gay couple calls the police, an officer may refuse to help them if interacting with a gay couple violates his religious principles. State hospitals can turn away gay couples at the door and deny them treatment with impunity. Gay couples can be banned from public parks, public pools, anything that operates under the aegis of the Kansas state government.

This only reconfirms my suspicions of the homophobic agenda - yes, the homophobic agenda.
Face it - the half of the country that hates us really really HATES us. Just because some of them say "hate the sin love the sinner" like some sort of mantra doesn't change the fact that those same people once had being gay illegal.
In Kansas, hospitals can legally deny treatment of lgbt, as can police officers deny helping lgbt - if we're sick, they want us to die. If we're being robbed, they want us to be ransacked. If we're being attack by a murderer - by their new law they're allowed to allow us to be murdered.
There is nothing you can do to put a stop that. If you could reason with idiots, there wouldn't be any idiots.

'Murica

It's like we have completely forgotten how terrible it was to segregate people just like this in our own history.

At the very least, I have confidence that this will go away once it reaches national attention enough. Like sbc said, time fixes bullshit like this eventually.