Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LGBT Friendly Books
Emiliano Wrote:Have you read any of James Baldwin's books? He's one of my favorite writers and homosexuality is often a theme in his books.

Also, I haven't read it yet, but A Little Life is supposed to be an excellent novel, just not a pleasant one.

I absolutely hated Giovanni's Room. It's such an unhealthy self-loathing piece of crap that I can't imagine why any gay guy would like it. The writing itself was beautiful, but writing style by itself doesn't go far (at least not for me).

(I have a free copy of the book for anybody who wants it. I bought it, and I hated it, and I want it out of my library).

I haven't read any other works of his, but if they are as bad as Giovanni's Room, I won't ever bother.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

meridannight Wrote:I absolutely hated Giovanni's Room. It's such an unhealthy self-loathing piece of crap that I can't imagine why any gay guy would like it. The writing itself was beautiful, but writing style by itself doesn't go far (at least not for me).

(I have a free copy of the book for anybody who wants it. I bought it, and I hated it, and I want it out of my library).

I haven't read any other works of his, but if they are as bad as Giovanni's Room, I won't ever bother.

I wasn't a fan of Giovanni's Room either, I was pretty disappointed when I read it after having it hyped up to me by a friend beforehand. I'd read Go Tell it on the Mountain in school and I thought it was beautifully written, so I was excited to read something focused on a gay relationship. But yeah, that's not the book I'd suggest. He was clearly working through something when he wrote that.

I personally prefer Baldwin's non fiction writing to his novels, because I think he was an excellent writer and brilliant and insightful man with a lot of opinions on society. I know that Giovanni's Room is considered his "gay novel", but again, homosexuality is often a theme in his other ones too.

I just think when it comes to this topic, Baldwin deserves a mention.

Emiliano Wrote:I wasn't a fan of Giovanni's Room either, I was pretty disappointed when I read it after having it hyped up to me by a friend beforehand.

Yeah, same here. Somebody hyped it up, although I can't remember who (it was either in some book I was reading, or somewhere on the internet).

Quote:I just think when it comes to this topic, Baldwin deserves a mention.

I won't argue against that. But Giovanni's Room should be forgotten by history.

meridannight Wrote:there are plenty:

[Image: 418NXgCbb8L.jpg]

I'm gonna have to go back and clarify what I think about this book. I put it in here before I had read it (not something I usually do, but I knew it was a modern gay novel, as asked for, so I mentioned it).

But I did not like this book. I just finished it tonight and it's just as bad as Giovanni's Room, although for different reasons. A lot of longing and yearning and no balls to do something about what you want. That is not how I grew up to be and that is not what life is like. It's a miracle the two even get it on at all. I loathe these authors who elevate accident and half-measures as a way of getting on with it. What a piece of crap.

If you want someone you have to go after him! These two find love, and they give it up, go the other way. They betray themselves and what they're feeling. It is a fundamentally flawed approach to life. It is a crime where I'm coming from. I do not swallow such crap down and call it art! It's bullshit, plain and simple.

Style over substance, is this book. It's an empty shell with nothing inside but second-hand leftovers. (There are some beautiful moments, but they don't make up for the overall failure). The author also obviously has a too high opinion of himself if he thinks to call some of the unnecessary plot developments that are clearly there just to fill up the pages and a few unconventional moments unique or belonging to Art. They don't surprise any more than the human nature he never bothered to touch.

Anyone of any good books about say a guy going out with transgender or non binary gender person?

Would the Danish Girl be any good?

Any ideas people?