Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving On? (advice please)
I've only been in one real relationship. It started when I was 17 and ended when I was 19 (I'm 22 now, will be 23 in January). He cheated on me, and I don't think I'd ever recovered from it.

I've always been a loner, and somewhat of a recluse, but since I broke up with him, my emotional health kind of spiraled out of control. I had a nervous breakdown 6 months post break-up, and currently, I'd say I'm practically agoraphobic.

The few times I've tried to initiate relationships, fear had always gotten the best of me, and they'd end up not going anywhere on my behalf.

The last time I got bitten by some actual potential was November of last year. I went to his house for Thanksgiving, and his family was awesome and inviting. It was great! We had so much in common, even though he was 19 (I usually never date younger than me). He was easy to talk to, and we had amazing chemistry. He even understood my humor to the T, and would fed off each other, and would laugh constantly. It's like our minds were in sync. I'd say we were even too much alike in many respects.

Anyways, he had a problem with blues. Drug-addiction is always a deal breaker for me, but I didn't find out until I'd already liked him. He said he was in recovery, so I took a chance. At that time in my life I was in need of someone to be there for me, to be "the man" perse'. It turned me off because he was dealing with his addiction, and that was too much drama for me to deal with.

Long story short, after he kept berating me to accept his pursuit to be my boyfriend, I finally turned him down after beating around the bush for so long, and told him I just wanted to be friends, but he wouldn't accept anything less than a relationship. That lead to this big ole fight, and some hurtful words were thrown below the belt my way, so I retaliated and hung up the phone.

I guess that gave him an excuse to relapse... About a week later I to called him back, and we mended the verbal damage done, although, it bothered me that he was using again. The next day or so, I called him again (He was high). I told him that if he wanted anything to do with me that he'd have to recommit to sobriety, and he agreed, as long as he could finish the remainder of his stash, and I reluctantly said ok. We literally spoke that entire night, as we rekindled what was lost, and he even accepted my friendship.

That was the last time I spoke to him. His mother called me 5 hours later to ask what had happened, and I didn't know what she was talking about. So happened to be that I was the last person on his caller ID, so she'd figured to find out what might had conspired up until his OD. He'd drowned on his vomit and was on life support, in a coma, for over the next two weeks, until 5 days before my birthday (that last night we spoke he made plans to celebrate with me). He died... and I was the last person to speak to him. Essentially, I heard his last words.

I didn't go to his funeral (never been to one), although I did write something on the commentary section of his funeral notice online.

Not a great start to my year, and it traumatized me greatly. I barely leave my home, and I've been struggling with alcohol.

Even though it's gotten easier, I don't know how to move on, and stick with a pursued new relationship without fear getting in the way... Help?

Wow.

My heart really goes out to you.

I'm sure you truly loved him, but I think FIRST you really need to follow your own advice about addiction being a deal breaker.

Promise yourself FIRST you'll never get involved with another addict.

You're so young to be burdened with such problems. Try to date for fun for a little while. Don't take on such burdens. You have the rest of your life to be tied down and obligated to other people's baggage.

Just enjoy your life and cherish each moment in sobriety. Find sober friends. Find sober activities.

Best wishes.

Have you considered counseling? Not a psychiatrist but, a psychologist or therapist?

It sounds like you have some fairly deep rooted trust issues, and counseling could help you.

There is some reason you aren't letting go of being cheated on or of your friend committing suicide. Yes both are hard to deal with, especially loosing someone to suicide.

I don't know why you are struggling to move on, or why you have such a hard time trusting but, I do think some counseling would help you.

Quote:Have you considered counseling? Not a psychiatrist but, a psychologist or therapist?

It sounds like you have some fairly deep rooted trust issues, and counseling could help you.

There is some reason you aren't letting go of being cheated on or of your friend committing suicide. Yes both are hard to deal with, especially loosing someone to suicide.

I don't know why you are struggling to move on, or why you have such a hard time trusting but, I do think some counseling would help you.

Thanks Blue.

I'm actually in therapy, but it seems to only get me so far. I've even tried medication, but I don't like the side-effects, and risks involved, so I'm not on that route.

It would seem he'd committed suicide, but it was merely a miscalculation on his part. He was in high spirits, and had a job interview that following morning, and promised to call me back to let me know how it went. Regardless, the end result was fucked up.

My trust issues do run deep I suppose, it's just every time I actually make an effort, when I don't back away, there's always a thorn behind the rose. It's like I attract only people with hardcore issues, or straight up assholes (If I listen to the red-flags or not).

I'm going to continue therapy, but would like some insight, besides the obvious, you know?

I can't be the only one with such issues right?

I tend to do that too but the thing is, if you educate yourself, even the hardest issues are okay, if the right person is behind them.

We all have issues, it's just a matter of knowing what you can be a secondary or supporter on and, knowing what the issues are and, knowing the right ways to be there makes all the difference.

The funny thing is, in being there for someone you care about, you help yourself too - good coping skills never hurt anyone.

Blue Wrote:I tend to do that too but the thing is, if you educate yourself, even the hardest issues are okay, if the right person is behind them.

So how do you decipher if the right person is behind their issues? Like people who have a chance, and aren't volatile to erode in their own fuckery (with or without your support)?

I know everyone has issues, but I'd like to not have a repeat from last year when seeking out a mate.

Dreamer my heart literally broke when I read what happened! I don't even have the words to begin to help ease that pain! But know this, there are people here who truly care and will listen and give the best advice. You need to take care of number one! YOU!! Because you can't even begin to give yourself to someone until you are at 100%! Trust me my friend, I know. Please continue to seek help with both your mental and emotional issues and your addiction to alcohol. Find some friends to surround yourself with that will support and encourage you. Get involved in an LGBT support group if there is one nearby, and whatever you do, get yourself back to being the best person you can be! As I've said before, we only have one life in which to be happy and you are the only one that can make you happy! Take care my friend and know that I am always here to listen! Bighug

Dreamer Wrote:So how do you decipher if the right person is behind their issues? Like people who have a chance, and aren't volatile to erode in their own fuckery (with or without your support)?

I know everyone has issues, but I'd like to not have a repeat from last year when seeking out a mate.

Get to know them long enough to see what they are dealing with and how they are managing whatever issues and know that with any issue, a few stalls and crashes are probably going to happen.

Decide if you can deal with what you see that crash as being - again education and communication are key here.

Never, but especially with someone that has some hard issues, go into a relationship expecting all roses - those roses always have thorns and, sooner or later one of them is going to get you - just be ready to deal with the thorns to get back to enjoying the roses.

I feel bad you had to go through that. I'm sure that it's been very hard. I too spend time a lot of time alone. Was pretty shy and not much confidence growing up. Making and keeping friends was hard for me. I have met people and gotten my hopes up and they turned out not to be who I thought they were or I find out they are involved in things that are not safe. It's frustrating and discouraging when you know who you are and what you stand for and there doesn't seem to be anybody out there for you. Totally understand. I've recently realized that I can't do this by myself. I really need others and their advice, opinions, etc. You need to concentrate on making friends. Slow things down. Then you can get to know who people are or even having friends to ask things like "what do you think about him?" My suggestion is find some quality friends to not only keep you company but for some counsel. That's what I've been doing lately. I'm pretty quiet and boring around people I don't know and that makes it hard for people to want to have anything to do with you. You a support system around you.

I agree with what LateBloomer said.......
Take care and all the best.......one step at a time.....