Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some perspective
I have never posted to a forum like this before, but I am in need of some perspective. If anyone replies, please don’t pass judgment on me or anyone involved. All I am asking is for some help with thinking things through and reading the signs that are in front of me.

I am a gay male in my early 30s. For the past nine years and change I have had the same partner. There have been a few rough patches, but we’ve managed to make it through. We are both educated professionals and work in stable jobs which have afforded us opportunities to travel, network and provide the things that we want and need. Generally our friends are either women or straight men. A lot of our hobbies and interests differ, but we have a couple of bigger ones that align.

Several weeks ago I changed companies to take a new opportunity. The job has been great so far. I am learning a lot of new things, it’s close by and the pay is better. Well, as it happened I met a new friend at my new company who happened to also be gay and have a partner. This friend and I started talking and have realized how much we have in common, which has made us grow pretty close. Our interests from childhood to now have been pretty similar, we like a lot of the same music and watch the same type of TV shows, etc. We are comfortable talking about everything from pop culture opinions to goals to family to our sex lives… or lack thereof.

Honestly, this is where things started to change. We discussed how both of our partners tend to be uninterested in sexual activity. If and when anything does actually happen, it’s not something that we enjoy and it feels more like a chore than an act of emotion. Well, my friend and I, who have become pretty close and open, decided to share ourselves physically as well… Honestly it has been a good match.

I have never done this before, and now I am overwhelmed with feelings that I don’t know how to interpret and understand let alone sort out. Both of us have talked with our respective partners about sex before, but it has not gone anywhere. There are other things that are bothering us as well, but things on the boyfriends’ sides are not changing. It feels like empty promises and lack of any action whatsoever.

To make things worse (I think?), my friend and I have talked about what would happen if we were both single right now. We’ve both flat out expressed interest and said we would get together if we were both single, and both agreed that friendship is all we can have at the moment since neither of us are available… yet we keep indulging in physical activity where we have found we are very compatible.

I’m am confused and lost. We have both flat-out said to each other that we are not happy with our partners the way things are. We also know that in the long-term to save our relationships we would have to confess what we have done to our boyfriends, and most likely sacrifice our friendship to fix our relationships. We have also both said to each other that the friendship we have built is important and that we don’t want to lose it.

We could both go on for a long time with the way things are, having this physical-and-emotional affair. But at the same time we have both stumbled upon another who is compatible physically, emotionally and in terms of interests, goals and drive. We know that what we have done is very, very wrong. We also know that even if we wanted to keep our relationships, confessions of our actions could lead to a break-up anyway.

So here is what I need some perspective on…

I am getting some clear signals of interest. I know that he would ideally not want to start a relationship in this fashion, but I also know that sometimes a healthy and honest relationship can come out of situations like this. What should I do? Should I talk to my friend and tell him that I really want to pursue something more and try to convince him that we can… Or should I walk away from this thing, and potentially our friendship?

Feeling lost,

Justin

[SIZE="3"]To be honest, sounds like you two were meant to be together. Talk to him , find out for sure he wants to take this relationship further.

If both of your partners tend to be uninterested in sexual activity, maybe its time to move on.[/SIZE]

Justin,

Monogamy for life is not what humans are designed for. Heck its very questionable if short term monogamy is what humans are designed for. Monogamy is not about love, its about insuring the survival of the next generation. Its not about the couple, its about the offspring.

And the needs of modern human infants is fairly new in evolutionary terms. Not too long ago (earlier ancestor) human infants were more capable, able to climb and cling to mother like chimpanzee infants do. Now they are so underdeveloped at birth they can't walk, talk, feed themselves, or cling to the mother and demand to be carried. That requires to adults to take care of it, and this total dependency has created a need for longish periods of monogamy - around 6-7 years...

You have biological imperatives, ones that don't know that where you deposit your seed isn't going to bear fruit... but deposit the seed you must, you are obliged the DNA insist.

The complex parts of relationships, the stages of love, how we want our partner in us or be in our partner, to become a unit, a single being... Its all driven by the needs of our biology to insure the survival of our species.

And after a short time we grow bored with the partner have, the binds that tie weaken and we find ourselves seeking a new partner, a new chance to insure our DNA survives... Again its biological to want to mix with several to many potential mates as possible, because diversity of those mixes improves the survival rate of our own personal DNA.

I assure you, if you leave your current partner for this guy, nine years down the road you will be experiencing pretty much the same boredom and lack of interest as you now have for your current partner.

LTR is an unnatural state of affairs for humans. We have a rational part of our brain that kicks in and we try to apply it to love. We also have the ability to dream, fantasize and do all sorts of things. Since we all like the good feelings of 'being in love' especially new love, we all hope that it lasts forever, and from that hope springs the myths that that hot passionate love is a life time experience.

50 year marriages happen out of necessity, not out of love. While there is a form of love, its a mere shadow to that hot passionate, all feely good love you had when you meet your partner, what you are having with this new guy.

All of these conflicts you have are because your animal brain (the part that answers to the drive to procreate) and your rational brain, that newly developed center of reasoning and hopes and dreams want two very different things.

Solution? Pick which brain you will answer and follow.

Yes there are consequences either direction you go. Again, 9 years from now you will be where you are now in the 'I love him but.....' department.

The issue is the next few years of bliss and happiness with New Guy more valuable to you than what you have with Old Guy?

This is not judgmental, it is simply truth. You and new guy are being extremely selfish in denying your current partners the option to go and seek for themselves the experience you two share together.

Because, exactly like you, they most likely question this whole 'Is this relationship worth it?' and find that their partners are boring in bed, disinterested, bland - and this relationship they keep up because like you they are deluded by thousands of years of myth that humans have developed out of that happy hopey thing that hot passionate love gives us.

If you feel you and new guy deserve happiness, than that deserving of happiness things should include to all four involved her.

The problem you might both face is that you met while each other was in a relationship so if you do get together your foundation will have a crack in it because you both know you can't trust each other in a relationship...and trust is important. If it does happen...you will have to put that on the table and discuss it openly before it becomes a resident in your subconscious.

As for your current relationships..."Is it worth it?"....that is something only you can answer. There are too many variables that only you understand that factor into the equation.

Good Luck!

If you come to a place where you find yourself cheating on your current BF, I think it's time to sit down and evaluate the relationship. Clearly it's not doing it for you.

My best bet is for you to talk to the BF ASAP. I'm afraid keeping this in the hide will not pay out.

Have you discussed the lack of sex with the BF? Does he know that's an issue for you? He deserves to know.

Ask yourself, do you want to work on your current relationship?

If so, cut it off. If not, talk to the BF and tell the other guy you should give it a chance.

Neither one of us can predict what will happen, or if this new thing will work, but one thing is certain. Either way you go, your BF is going to get hurt.

The only thing to evaluate is how worth it is for you to try and salvage the relationship or to leave it all together

Your included question asks whether to pursue the relationship or not.

I think that this is skipping a step. You need to talk to your current boyfriend first about solutions or lack thereof before getting into a new relationship. It sounds like you aren't happy, and it's time to have that conversation. Just know you've been together for a long time, and the same problems from this relationship may carry over into new ones --- infatuation doesn't last forever.

Oh, and make sure if you break up with the idea of going out with this guy, that he's honest with his boyfriend too. You don't want to be in an awkward side relationship, as these kinds of relationships are not especially healthy and it probably won't last.

There's no real right or wrong here; be honest, and do what you want. Just be sure to consider the consequences of your actions.

It looks like you don't really love your boyfriend because you think more about yourself, trying to create a convenient situation and be sure that you won't end up alone. Bearing in mind all these years of your relationship, say him the truth and if he still wants to be with you, you can discuss further details... and be prepared that you can end up without your current nor prospective boyfriend but at least with the rest of dignity.

You broke the cardinal rule for maintaining a long term relationship,,, you became friends with someone who your physically and emotionally attracted too. That usually leads to cheating and an eventual break-up.

You should walk away before this situation gets completely out of control. Drop the friends-with-benefits relationship you have with your friend and explain to him that it was a mistake. Then avoid any other contact with him. Sounds like it's about time for you and your partner to take a vacation together and find a way to spice up the sex part of your relationship.

Good luck,
Jim
We Have Elvis !!

Aside from the MANY "judgments" I have on this....I will just say:

1. You have already ruined your relationship with the guy you are with, so just end it. It is unjust and unfair to HIM to have to live with your lies and secrets.

2. You have already made your choice.......why you are acting all "confused" is beyond me.

3. Once a player, always a player. Now that you and this new guy have both become liars and cheats (aka "players"), what makes you think it won't happen again? What makes you think this new guy won't get bored with YOU and then do to you, what both of you have done to your current partners? You will always have to be "watching" him and be living with this knowledge.

4. You really fucked up.

5. If sex is the ONLY thing you are interested in, then you shouldn't BE in ANY kind of relationship, ever.

Welcome to the forum Justin.

There are two issues that need to be dealt with here:

1. You need to evaluate your relationship with your partner, and make a decision about what the right thing to do is for YOU. Whatever you decide, whether positive or negative, communication with your partner is absolutely critical in order to move forward. Indeed after your 9 and change years together you own him that much. You didn't mention how communication is between both of you, its it relatively easy, or difficult? This will be key to how you manage things going forward.

2. You have embarked upon a relationship in the workplace. This is always a very risky thing to start, since it can be highly stressful for a number of reasons - Your work colleagues find out and a difficult situation may become intolerable with the office gossips working overtime. Or, for whatever reason you end the relationship, but continue to have to interact and see him everyday. You work with him so this is inevitable, and can lead to emotional challenges, and the inevitable temptation to continue despite best intentions of both parties. Of course you can prevent all this by resigning and walking away from your new job.

You have a difficult road ahead, and to some extent you are dammed if you do, dammed if you don't face up to whats going on.

Its a fact of human nature, that love can find you in the most unexpected places and when your least expecting it. Is this developing workplace relationship love, or just plain lust? Thats the $50,000 question that only you know the answer to.

And are you willing to risk all to find out?

Good Luck.

ObW
X