Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New in NY, young and have no idea how to find someone :(
Hi!

I'm very new to New York and the USA at the same time. I have no idea how to find gay friends/date around my age (19) here. Well, going to the club would be reasonable, but for some crazy reason I'm afriad to go there, esp alone. And English is not my first language so I would feel kind of weird.
any advice ?

Thanks

hi ff00! I happen to live in New York. I've been living in New York my whole entire life!

Ah I see I'm not in your preferred age range. Ah well! Sorry, I have no advice ya at this time. I know someone else will give ya advice.

I hope to see ya around the forums!

Online? If you are careful. Don't worry about going to clubs yet if you are still afraid to. Make yourself comfortable with the city first. :]

Yea, online would be a good way to find some people. But where? I have tried a few website, I;ve even tried a4a but it's full of weird people seeking for sex

Hey first off welcome to the forum!!!
There are all sorts of ways of meting people like going out clubbing, through friends, the internet and many other ways! I like to met people not on the computer best. Like most of my friends were friends of a friend.

hey ff00 u are totally right to come here Smile
there are many interesting ppl here

about online relationship ummm i have no idea how ppl think about this
but for me it can work sometimes if u are careful about it like SlipknotRlZZ said
I once was in love with a guy on internet and believe me it worked so badly!
hehehe

I totally understand u ff00 cuz I am like u
I am afraid to go out to be in club or something like this
so I usually spend my time on internet Smile

if u wanna talk more about it
talk to me aite?

ff00 Wrote:Yea, online would be a good way to find some people. But where? I have tried a few website, I;ve even tried a4a but it's full of weird people seeking for sex

Well, it doesn't have to be a website that is exclusively for gay people, does it? I mean, one option is GaySpeak, but then social networks like Facebook, MySpace and Twitter can do a great job too, right? Scottymorg is right that online relationships might not be the best option, but I am not talking about such things. You can find people from New York on such websites and most of the times you can actually tell if the person is not who he pretends to be on sites like Facebook for example. It is easy to guess. The Internet is not such a dangerous place.
Make a YouTube account, subscribe to users and meet people who like the same things as you. For example, if you try out Davey Wavey and like his videos, subscribe to his channel and from the people who comment on his vids you can find friends. I mean, just join communities online. Don't go on looking straightly for a relationship, make friends first. :]

Friends first. Yes indeed, good advice.

I'm not sure about the advice to get used to New York first. Having been there earlier this year I'm not sure I would ever be able to (or indeed want to) get used to it :redface:

What has taken you there? Have you just started a new job, or college? How about trying to make friends at work or school and ask one of them if they would be kind enough to go with you to a club, since you are a bit nervous about going by yourself? In a city like NY I am sure there must be all kinds of gay activity groups. You could try Googling "gay table tennis in New York", or whatever happens to be your activity of choice.

For what it's worth I agree that the hook-up sites may not provide the best answers!

Good luck

Yeah one thing about NY and I've been living here my whole entire life... you gotta be careful. Virtually almost all walks of life are found in NY. You gotta be super mega careful. You don't want to run into any creeps, they are definitely out there in NY.