Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Political Correctness- Good or bad?
I am kind of a south park conservative so I am completely opposed to any form of PC. I feel like it restricts dialogue.

VERY bad. You can see what imbeciles it has created over the years, and its just getting worse.

Current trend:

Paula Deen. The woman is being tortured alive and sued for a word that other people use on a daily basis...and THEY dont get sued, threatened and fired from their jobs!!

"Political correctness" has given way to the worthless, useless, brain dead dregs of society to cry "wolf" every day of their lives, in order to get that BIG lawsuit that will make them rich and famous.

PC has absolutely NO place in any culture, simply because its violently destructive.

I think some people just take it too far. Just be polite enough so you aren't a completely bigoted douchebag and you don't have to worry about being PC. It only gets annoying when you have to stumble over your words to avoid saying the wrong thing. If people take what you say the wrong way, just slap them.

i hate peple calling peple bad names. be kind and not hurt peple.its impotent.

I think it depends on the situation. I'm definitely against censorship and PC values in most cases, but I do think there are times & situations where a little bit of political correctness is a good thing. I mean, there's a difference between freedom of speech, and the abuse thereof. It's good to be able to speak your mind and say what you want, but when people use their freedom to discriminate/ridicule/mock particular people -in a non-satirical way- just to be cruel, I do think they should be punished for it.

But that obviously raises issues of "what crosses the line", and "what's offensive to who", etc, etc. I don't personally think restriction is something that should be encouraged, but I do think things like acceptance, politeness, etc, should be. Instead of censoring things, and saying what you "can't say", we should be trying to reclaim the offending terms ("queer", the n-word, etc) and trying to turn them into a positive light, so that people can't just throw them around willy-nilly to offend people any more.

now on gayspeak lot of pepole like saying bad names and words about peple. iits a shame.

I think it's best to be polite to people. However, sometimes PC crosses the line and inadvertently discriminates against majority groups, I believe.

Arkansota Wrote:I think it's best to be polite to people. However, sometimes PC crosses the line and inadvertently discriminates against majority groups, I believe.

I agree. I think the problem with PC is its complete over-saturation. When it's used to protect people, it's a good thing. But when it's used to stifle them (like it is a lot of the time nowadays), it's really not. The problem I think, is that so many people have such rigid rules for these sorts of things that they are completely inflexible. They don't understand how humor (for instance) can seem to be offensive, but is merely mocking the offenders. So because it goes over their heads, they judge it just as negatively as a genuine infraction.

People can be silly :3

It's good in the sense that people aren't allowed to use abusive terms, and let's face it, most of us on this board have suffered from that.

But it has been used very badly too. For example, in the UK, no one could talk about immigration because it was deemed to be racist, so there was never a debate about who and how many people we wanted to come into our country. That's just wrong, and a denial of democracy. It amounts to self-censorship.

i thnk peple just wont to be alowed to say nasty words.they think its ok but its not. i had peple say nasty words to me its very hhorrible.