Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Political Correctness- Good or bad?
For me, the main issue that I encounter with PC is when I try to talk about homophobia in Islam. People think I'm being Islamophobic but really I am trying to address a very, very serious issue.

joseph Wrote:i thnk peple just wont to be alowed to say nasty words.they think its ok but its not. i had peple say nasty words to me its very hhorrible.

From a legal standpoint, at least in America, people are allowed to say nasty words all they want. This is how I think it should be. Those words should be discouraged, but people who use them shouldn't be locked up.

Not just in islam, but in every religion in the world.

Spellbound Wrote:Not just in islam, but in every religion in the world.

However, homophobia in Islam is particularly severe, because all of the countries that carry the death penalty for homosexuality are Muslim theocracies and homosexuality is illegal in the vast majority of Islamic countries.

I do not have a problem with Islam. I do, however, have a problem with Islamic homophobia.

somepeopole here love nasty words they think its cool

Arkansota Wrote:From a legal standpoint, at least in America, people are allowed to say nasty words all they want. This is how I think it should be. Those words should be discouraged, but people who use them shouldn't be locked up.

I posted for a while on an American forum and there were several people there who were overtly racist; I mean starting threads that were abusive towards coloured people. I think that's unacceptable and I called them out on it, and the racist posts were banned. There is a limit to free speech imho and racist abuse is outside that limit.

Spellbound Wrote:I posted for a while on an American forum and there were several people there who were overtly racist; I mean starting threads that were abusive towards coloured people. I think that's unacceptable and I called them out on it, and the racist posts were banned. There is a limit to free speech imho and racist abuse is outside that limit.

The reason why the racist posts were banned is because this is a private company. They have the right to censor speech. The government does not.

There are limits to free speech, at least in most countries. You are not allowed to threaten people with violence, or rape, or intimidate them, or promote violence etc etc. There are remedies for libel which are quite severe. It is naive to say that people can use all the nasty words they like: they can't.

To my mind, racism comes into the banned category, along with homophobia. Not everyone would agree with me though.

Spellbound Wrote:There are limits to free speech, at least in most countries. You are not allowed to threaten people with violence, or rape, or intimidate them, or promote violence etc etc. There are remedies for libel which are quite severe. It is naive to say that people can use all the nasty words they like: they can't.

To my mind, racism comes into the banned category, along with homophobia. Not everyone would agree with me though.

In America, there are exceptions to freedom of speech (including all those you mentioned except for bigoted comments). IMO, people have the right to be bigots (although it should be discouraged) and arresting them for it will only make them much more bigoted.

Disagree. Not being offended isn't a right.