Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should religious belief be above the law?
As an aethiest, my personal opinion can be taken for granted but I would be interested to learn of the views of those of you who are religious. I don't read the Daily Mail but picked this up via Google News. What are your opinions on this?:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...paign=1490
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Nope definitely, but I'm Italian, we have the Vatican, so in the habit of reading these things.

- Recently two men opened a bar in a town, and they were discriminated for their sexuality. A big problem, a crazy problem, cause these two men weren't a couple, they're straight. But people told """bad""" things about their sexuality.

- A CRAZY thing: I don't know in UK or the rest of Europe (or US, but there every state has his rules, so...) In Italy, if you're a catholic Obstetric you can refuse to do an abort. In my opinion this is totally crazy, cause first If you don't wanna make your job you had to choose something different. If I don't do my job, I will be fired.
Second, equally important: Is a prestigious job, not something easy and blahblah. So you must have responsibilities, and if you refuse to do what you're supposed to do...
Third: You're working with the life of the people. If you refuse to do an abort and something goes bad, you're nothing less than a killer. And this thing happened more than once.

- Ect, etc, etc.

Sorry for the long, and maybe a little out-topic post.

The Bull's who own the B&B said "their policy of only allowing married couples to sleep in a double bed, in accordance with their religious beliefs"

I would ask the Bull's if they checked the marriage license of every couple staying at their B&B before allowing couples to sleep together. I'm sure they don't check marriage licenses, and I'm also sure that some of the heterosexual couples staying at their B&B are not married. Therefore, their requirement that only married couples sleep together 'is moot',,,,, and they are only using this as an excuse to discriminate against the gay couple who they wouldn't allow to sleep together in one of their rooms.

What these B&B owners are really doing, is using their religion as a tool to discriminate against LGBT people. The courts ruled against the owners of this B&B, and I agree with the courts.
We Have Elvis !!

No, that wouldnt be a democracy... and any crackpot could justify his actions by citing this or that passage and twisting it, or in most cases they would,nt need to...

I don't see this so much as religious right but right of a business owner to run their business as they see fit.

Used to be a right that any business owner could refuse to do business with anyone. And had signs posted to that effect:

https://www.google.com/search?q=right+to...33&bih=709

I'm sorry if the Old People don't want homosexuals in their business. That is THEIR business and they can refuse under any grounds they want.

And yes they were nice about it and said 'We are refusing because we only serve married couples' instead of saying 'We don't want to try to get spunk soaked shit out of the sheets'.

I side (in this case) with the business owners who should have the right to refuse service to anyone on any grounds that suits their ideas. I'm certain its not the only B&B in England surely there must be at least one other - most likely ran by a gay couple and far, far more tolerant to gays - Go where you are wanted, not where you are unwanted.

jimcrackcorn Wrote:The Bull's who own the B&B said "their policy of only allowing married couples to sleep in a double bed, in accordance with their religious beliefs"

I would ask the Bull's if they checked the marriage license of every couple staying at their B&B before allowing couples to sleep together. I'm sure they don't check marriage licenses, and I'm also sure that some of the heterosexual couples staying at their B&B are not married. Therefore, their requirement that only married couples sleep together 'is moot',,,,, and they are only using this as an excuse to discriminate against the gay couple who they wouldn't allow to sleep together in one of their rooms.

What these B&B owners are really doing, is using their religion as a tool to discriminate against LGBT people. The courts ruled against the owners of this B&B, and I agree with the courts.

I can agree with this to a point.

I dont care how small or how large a business is....they are created to CATER to a specific clientele. No matter if that clientele is "the general public", or is "for married couples" (straight or gay), or for blacks/whites/Asians/etc....

People who have their own private businesses have the right to cater to anyone they want. Just because someone HAS a business, does NOT mean that business is for ALL customers!

*********************************************************************************

ALL businesses still retain the right of personal service ethics. If the owner of that business says they turn certain people away, then thats their prerogative. I wouldnt turn into some spoiled 3 year old brat, throwing a "tantrum" about it in public or the media! What the hell do you think a rating system is for? Rate them "one star" and post/file a comment, then move on.

I am personally sick and tired of EVERYBODY thinking they have the RIGHT to be catered too EVERY DAMN PLACE THEY GO!!!! You DONT......so get over it!!

I don't think ones prejudices should be held above serving the public, nor do I think they should be free to do so.
Otherwise I think some minorities would find it especially hard to get the service they need in some areas.

Religion shouldn't be used as an excuse for prejudice. Denying people a service based on issues against a particular minority they belong to - whether for religious reasons or not - is ridiculous.

It's strange, a few years ago I was driving with a friend, through France, a Catholic country, and we stopped one night to look for an hotel. The middle aged female Recepcionist, without batting an eylid asked: "One bed or two"?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I'm not in the mood to read the Daily Mail today as I consider it bunk anyway. I never believe anything they said happened as it did (or even happened at all) unless I can find it in another source that's more reputable and I'm not up to that right now. So I can't comment on the specifics of that (and I couldn't even if I read it because again the Daily Mail is not credible).

That aside, should religious belief be above the law? No. When it is you get things like this:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1...cd.01.html

Quote:As you can see the people in charge don't particularly want to answer my questions. We're not alone. They don't really answer government either.

In Indiana group homes operated by churches and religious ministries are exempt from licensure. So nobody in the government even knows what's going on behind the closed doors. The women say their parents also had no idea what was going on there.

(on camera): In the 15 months that you were in this house, how many times did you leave the grounds to go somewhere else?

DOWLING: Never.

TUCHMAN: Zero?

DOWLING: Zero.

TUCHMAN: The Indiana governor's office says there's nothing it can do. The attorney general's office says it doesn't have jurisdiction and the same thing with the Indiana Department of Education.

(on camera): Notably though the Indiana Department of Child Services said it could investigate providing there was a current complaint and not from someone who already walked out of door.

We talked to a dozen women who say they were victimized at Hephzibah House, and they said they could never make any private phone calls or send uncensored letters while on the inside.

(voice-over): Hephzibah House is not the only facility of its kind. Across the country, victim advocates say there are an unknown, but large number of similar programs.

DOWLING: I have nightmares of it all the time. Like very vivid dreams like I'm trapped inside this house again and can't get out. That's like the only thing I want is to run out a door, and for some reason I can't.

If desired you can see this portion of the transcript here:

But as for business owners of like a bed & breakfast? I'm of two minds. On one hand it's their business and thus they can run it how they like as long as it doesn't endanger the public. OTOH, it was once legal to bar people by race and it became common in part because no one wanted to be seen as "lower class" (and thus lose profit) and in a Christian society no one would want to seem to be "less Christian" than the others. I read of a study before that showed in at least one state in the US business went up if they took the effort to show they were Christian (and business also dropped if they somehow identified themselves as another religion such as Jewish). Therefore I'm hesitant to say "their business." Of course in a better world we could say it's their business and those who decide to be jerks go out of business but we don't live in that kind of world.