Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Students in England told to "act less gay".
Hi guys,

I was reading a story in the newspaper yesterday, The Mirror and some advice by teachers to bullied students actually shocked me, they were told to act less gay. As a gay man hoping to be a science teacher I was quite shocked and disgusted. Here's the story. What are your thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-15552623

Well there you are, you've read the Daily Mirror, say no more..! My father reads that Newspaper for the horse racing and not much more, don't get me wrong I agree with the Daily Mirror politics, but you've got to take it with a pinch of salt...! And on the BBC website it refers to "anecdotal evidence" It must be a slow day for news...!

It was on the main news last night too. I think its ridiculous.

I watched the news last night and did not hear it mentioned??? :confused::confused:

You have sky? It was on sky.

I have sky news on free-view but only watch BBC news, I must think about looking at other news channels in future... Thanks mrk2010

No problem, :-)

I've heard one of the psych nurses say the same thing to their patients at a job i worked at in college. It's rather disturbing, really. She said the world wasn't going to change for him, so he might as well change how he acts to fit the world.

I think comments like this tend to be taken out of context on slow news days. Gay isn't an act, but flaming is and you would have to agree that there is a small minority that do make themselves a target by 'over acting'...Chris 'Leave Brittany Alone' Croker as an example makes me cringe.

Some people are naturally camp, but there are other that are in your face with campness and sexuality, but you can't make generalised comments like this at a whole community while trying to comment on a very very small section of a community.

I found the whole camp thing difficult to deal with when I was a kid. I wasn't like that, and it always came across to me as an act. I'm probably wrong, and it doesn't actually worry me anymore.