Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE snow storm
@Anoxcu, Florida is OK but snow like this is fun, especially since I don't have to go anywhere.

Balls will be OK. I keep antifreeze in a spray bottle for use as needed.

Happy sunburn!
I bid NO Trump!

[Image: 6e4a9ddc7150c0b1a966bbb982606ecc.jpg]

^^^^
It's rainy here..

This may be a stupid question.....but when they say two feet...it sounds like nothing...but clearly it must be something because of the warning.....

So..my question..can you walk or drive in it? Does it melt fast?

I don't live in snow country. Years ago when we had black ice..I had to go on the internet to ask for advice on how to drive in it...and the answer was "DON'T"...just wondering if that is the same with snow?

Good question, East. Look at it this way. I have a Honda CR-V. It has ground clearance of about eight inches. If I have to, I can plough through an inch or so more snow than that but it is not like there is much control, even with the four-wheel drive. We don't get much snow around here and people are advised to stay off the roads if they can. It is just tricky stuff--a little like driving in loose sand. Since folks are not used to it lots of things happen and some of them are far less than fun.

What will happen here this weekend is a mixture of snow and sleet and some rain in places. Let that freeze and your typical commuter car with no snow tires and two-wheel drive is like something out of a carnival ride.

Now the ski places will be freaking out happy, happy, happy, though I pity the poor suckers who get up there and realize that they will be paying a king's ransom for lodging and food, if they can get it. The kids will be out in it and people will get out their sleds and have a ball. That is probably the best time to be had, especially if you have nice warm cocoa waiting for you.

As for we poor mortals trying to walk around in it, just get out the yardstick and measure 8-24 inches up your leg and the resistance you would feel. Then fall flat on your face and laugh if you have not broken anything or found a stump in your face. Of course, some will go out and get too cold. You just have to have common sense. [Ha!] Oddly, a lot of people who have never seen snow are surprised, on first encounter, to find that it is COLD. It is also beautiful and quiet and can make a kid or a philosopher out of most.

As for creaky old me, I will stay in for the most part. I have the trash cans close to the back porch for easy access and the corned beef stewing in the crock pot. Easy weekend and I will most likely not even need to think about going to work on Sunday. I even have a good book nearby, plenty of excellent tea and bourbon and a wonderful tub to soak in while I let my thoughts wander.

When it melts it will take a while because nighttime temps will be in the 20's and only up to about 42 early next week. That is when the traffic conditions get completely crazy because people will have to go to work and slush, ice and idiots do not mix. Retirement has its benefits. We will probably have remnants of this around for at least a week.
I bid NO Trump!

Thanks [MENTION=20933]LJay[/MENTION]! Very imformative..I have wondered about it for years.....

I did live in NY before..but I was young and I don't remember much....

I hope you stay safe and dry and comfy!

Just got a lovely robo-call saying that I do not have to go to work on Sunday!

Oh fraptious joy! Calloo callay! or however it is spelled. I am in love with the new automatic notification system.

East, one thing I forgot. Snow soundproofs the whole world! Things get quiet both because there are fewer folks and critters moving about and also because sounds are absorbed by tons of white fluff. Then, when the sun goes down, there is a magic glow because of all the reflective white. There is no doubt that it can be cold and dangerous but it is also beautiful. When the morning sun comes it can be breathtakingly amazing.

Thanks for your good wishes. Roomie and I are snug as can be. Right now the only thing better would be to be a hobbit!
I bid NO Trump!

Finally started snowing...big fat flakes too...it's 35 F right now...they're calling between 3-6 inches and if it actually does that I'm pretty sure the gym will be closed Sad
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I just heard that NYC may get up to 20 inches and up to 50mph winds... Yet my boss told me to expect to go in tomorrow... I just cant imagine many people trying to go out to a museum tomorrow. But officially if the subway is open, so is the museum and it seems de Blasio is still too embarrassed about last year's blizzard that never was to close those down this time around even though DC and Philly apparently are closing theirs... :/

I love snow days, laying beside the fireplace now watching tv.. after playing games for a few hours. And no work, wohoooo! I might go out tomorrow and look at all the cars stuck in the ditch (so nice to have a 4 wheel drive truck ; ) )
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

axle2152 Wrote:I'm pretty sure the gym will be closed Sad

Again, work out at home, dude.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]