Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The first place I lived
You have received an infraction at GaySpeak Gay Forums | Online Community | Chat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear gilhooly,

You have received an infraction at GaySpeak Gay Forums | Online Community | Chat.

Reason: Making Incomprehensible/Nonsensical Posts
-------

-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

gilhooly Wrote:Tell everyone about the place you least liked to live

You know, it's a draw between Houston and San Francisco.

Houston was homophobic, though there was a gay friendly area (but plagued by gay bashers, though I'm glad to say I've heard it has gotten a lot less violent there now and Houston even elected a lesbian mayor). I found Houston violent and hateful, it's schools oppressive, I was locked up in a teen gulag there, and just so many bad memories, from living at home to being a runaway living on the streets. I'd once vowed to never set foot in Houston again, but I did (to visit Mom and Dad and ended up showing a friend from California around and seeing a movie there). But at least I never thought Houston was going to be a good place, I dreaded moving there from the very beginning (when I was 4).

I moved to San Francisco when I was 18 to get away from a bad situation and at the invite of a Russian American I know, and unlike Houston I really expected it to be a liberal (in the good way), open minded, gay-friendly area with plenty of neopagans (which I was one myself at the time).

Unfortunately, she and her other roomies were drug addicts and once they got me to making money they'd take it to blow on drugs and then expect me to work harder to cover the rent. I even took to hiding my money (I didn't have a bank account) and when they tore through my stuff looking for it (sometimes they found it, sometimes not) they wouldn't even have the decency to put my stuff back. I loathed them.

And I had bad experiences with people I met at random as well (which has never happened so much outside of Frisco so I know it wasn't "just me"). Like I barely braked in time to avoid hitting a pedestrian who jumped right out in front of me and at first I was relieved until he brought his fist down on the hood of my car (I bet he'd been too terrified to have done that if he thought I had a gun, but gave no thought that my car was a potential murder weapon, too...). Another incident I won't forget was how an old lady tried to cross into GGP only to not make it because the walk sign expected you to move fast and all the cars (which were legally obliged to give pedestrians the right of way, IIRC) wouldn't let her go either way while the car in front of her in the lane she blocked just blared his horn at her as if that would do a damn bit of good. I hit the Walk sign (because the light almost never changed unless someone hit the button) and made sure she got across really hating Frisco right then. And there were other jerks as well (most of them looking like executives, though as I say I also knew some drug addicts, and I was even threatened with organized crime once).

Though I laugh about it now, it was also the place where I learned perky goths can be evil. Having a car (a really bad Dodge Omni from the 80s--and this was 2001) I was called in to give others rides and most people seemed to think I was obligated to give them rides without thanking me, chipping in for gas, etc. And one perky loved to play this song over and over again until one day I had enough, ejected the tape and threw it under the seat. The next time it happened again and after I ejected the tape again she pulled another tape from her purse and put it in. When I asked her how many copies she had she said "a lot."

I met some neopagans but I found them humor-deprived (either that or their humor was mean) and decided I didn't want anything to do with them.

Like Houston, it wasn't all bad. I was amused by a dope dealer who tried selling me pot in Golden Gate Park while leaning against a "drug free zone" sign (and I got the impression he did it for the irony which made me inclined to like him, and he also remained friendly when I turned him down). An especially ironic exception was a self-proclaimed Satanist whom I trusted and respected as a decent human being, unlike most others I'd encountered, and she agreed with me that San Francisco was uncivilized (and I loved it that a SATANIST was telling me how bad a place was Roflmao).

But even Oakland (where I stayed at a flophouse desperate to get out of Frisco until I had enough money to move) was better to me (though I experienced jerks there, too, including the landlord or whatever who let himself into my room while I was sleeping, after I ignored his knocking as I was so tired from working hard to earn the money to leave).

I recall reading of a gun ban voted in San Francisco years later and at the time I thought they voted for the ban because they wanted to be jerks without having to worry about someone shooting them (that is, they didn't vote to ban guns because guns are bad, but because they are bad people).

After I left I swore I would never enter the city again and I kept that vow for many years, even more strictly than my vow to never return to Houston. But then a couple of years ago my partner was driving, she insisted on going through there as it was the most convenient way, and I agreed to it on the condition we got to see the musical Wicked which I wanted to see so bad. That time was much better. Despite the disappointment in missing Wicked (as we found out too late that one had to buy tickets weeks in advance, and the musical was leaving the city), I got to show the kids Golden Gate Park and the people were decent and everything was fine and we had fun. I feel less resistance to visiting Frisco again after that.

And I'm sure I just had bad luck the first time I was there (especially moving in with drug addicts), and jerks are always more visible than the better people. But my first experience of the city really sucked and it was all the worse for my high expectations when I moved there thinking how wonderful it was going to be.

The worst place to live for me was Kurri Kurri in the Hunter Vally, all six months of it.
My goodness that place backward.
I swear the people there had two heads or a bump where one used to be.

They did not take kindly to city folk .
Coming from Sydney meant that you were dangerous, and did not belong , nor could you understand their ways.

Please , I understood them alright,I watched Deliverance.Wink

The local pub was on a corner , the thing was divided into two sections , The Nomads ( local MC Drug dealers.) and the piss pots that were standing inline outside at 9.00am .

Please the place was an early opener , it opened at 10.00am, surely the alcohol has not worn off from the night before.

The scariest part , there were no young people there, you never seen them, unless you walked past one of the schools.

Another thing that was freaky , was the women's hairstyle , it was identical the same hair style on all of them ,it was like the senior version of the Stepford wives, only none of them smiled.

The heat of the place was unbelievable ,there was no winter , fall, spring ,only one season all year around, summer and a damn hot and humid it one it was.

Boy was I glad to get out of there.

You have received an infraction at GaySpeak Gay Forums | Online Community | Chat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear gilhooly,

You have received an infraction at GaySpeak Gay Forums | Online Community | Chat.

Reason: Making Incomprehensible/Nonsensical Posts
-------

-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

I Have lived In Engadine, south of Sydney, my birth place and hometown for over 25 years.

I lived in Esaka and then Higashi-Mikuni in Osaka Japan's north.

I lived in Cronulla in the south of Sydney with a unit over looking the ocean.

I know live in Palm Beach, south of Brisbane and on the Gold Coast and in the next few weeks am moving to the neighbouring suburb Elanora.

I cannot fault any of the places I have lived in as each had a differing experience and taught me life's lessons...BUT I wouldn't give up living on the Gold Coast for anything else.

It wasn't the first place I ever lived but it was the worst. I hope I don't insult anyone's home here and if I do please don't take it personally....

....I felt like I was stuck in hell...the smelly armpit of the USA...when I had the misfortune of being stationed in Meridian Mississippi in 1974-75. I made the mistake of driving to the place and I found out quickly after leaving California that if you had California License Plates people hated you...up to that point in my life I had no clue...I can't even count how many times I got stopped...especially entering Mississippi....they don't even pretend that there is anything wrong when they stop you....

"Whatcha doin round these parts son? I hear thar aint nuthin but steers and queers in Caleeforna...and you dont' look like no steer to me"....Oh F*ck.

I could elaborate further but I dont' want to think about it anymore...It was a hellish experience.....

Conversely...I love San Francisco...it is a true love for me. I spend little time there nowadays...it is usually painful for me...too many ghosts...I avoid alot of places....but I love her nonetheless...maybe even more because of it.

I hated living in Yamanashi in Japan.
I lived there because my parents decided to start a business there after moving back from Australia, so I had zero experience living in Japan, nor did I have any friends there.
I was told that because Yamanashi is a prefecture surrounded in mountains, they are very closenit and hostile to strangers.
I later moved to Sasebo in Nagasaki which is a port city with U.S. Navy bases etc, and sure felt a huuuuge difference between the two cities.
Sasebo was open, friendly and very international, whereas Yamanashi was hostile and ignorant towards anything that was not mainstream Japanese.

For me, Tokyo is where I belong despite the many cities i have lived in or visited, but Sasebo is always going to be a close second Smile

Gizzie Wrote:For me, Tokyo is where I belong despite the many cities i have lived in or visited, but Sasebo is always going to be a close second Smile

I LOVED Sasebo...I was there for maybe six months...and I also loved Tokyo. It is a magical city.

East Wrote:I LOVED Sasebo...I was there for maybe six months...and I also loved Tokyo. It is a magical city.

Ah...fellow Sasebo lover.
That town is like high school all over again, with a male to female ratio that is so uneven that anything wearing a skirt under 35 is rare! Biglaugh
Such a lovely town where you just say "meet you in starbucks" since there is only one in town. Big Grin

In Shibuya youre like, "starbucks? I am in starbucks! No not that one, the one on the other side of the station. Nooooo, not that starbucks but the one close to the....NO, not that one! the one on the second floor!!!!"

I must also recommend Perth too though!

gilhooly Wrote:T

To Rainbowmum:

You disappoint me. I thought Australia was gay friendly. My knowledge of Australia is limited to Melbourne. I never visited but my cousins raved about Melbourne. Please tell me that it is OK to be gay in Australia. There are always places like depicted in Deliverance. I might visit a place like that for a few giggles to see the locals. You stayed over 5 months longer than you should have in Kurri Kurri. Cute name. I want to remember it. If I see it ona map, I will scratch that place off the map. Good idea????

Great posts guys. I appreciate it.

Australia is gay friendly , my friends and I during our teens to early twenty's fought for it to be a friendlier and freer place .

It's the hick towns like Kurri that are still living in the dark ages.

I only stayed there for work , at the time I was working for AGB McNair.
A political and market research company.

The company landed an Attorney-General case about First home owners grant.

It was a huge job , since I was covering from Kurri Kurri to the back of Bellbird it took a very long time.

[Image: Kurri-Kurri.10.jpg]

I would not recommend ever going there.

The name of the town comes from the local Awabakal language (Aborigine)
No one knows if it means beginning , start or man.

It was officially established in 1902 , it was part of the mining rush.

Nowadays they do not even have trains anymore.