Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think I am ready
Well I think I am finally ready to come out to my parents. My brothers know and so do all my friends. So pretty much just my parents are the only ones. Any advice?

I think I would make it casual - not at a family dinner table Smile Like not please sit down I have to tell you something... But maybe - I met this guy and I really like him. Maybe tell one of them then the other one.

Good luck and congrats! Smile

If your brothers can be there for support, great. Otherwise just go for it when it feels right.

Your parents have their own complicated lives, so be ready for anything! Good luck with it.

I give you my love and support bennet! Don't let anyone bring you down!

I had a very stern and humorless history professor who, when handing out the final exam, decided to try to put everyone at ease by pulling out a big red clown nose and putting it on his face. It helped.

So that's something to think about.

To be a bit more serious, just try not to make it a bigger deal than it is. You got to treat parents like pets. When your dog sees that you are anxious and tense he'll pick up on it and follow suit. You have to be the dominant one, so to speak. Parents, like animals, just want to be led.

All you're doing is telling the truth, no more no less. You're doing the best possible thing you can for your parents: being honest with them. Whatever their reaction is in the moment, it will all work out fine in the end. Keep the long term perspective. Good luck.

Sure Krupt. What are you doing tomorrow?

Thanks everyone for your advice! Smile I really apperciate it!

Krupt Wrote:Seaside wedding with you Wink

Done.

Yeah very interesting. I don't know about my parents but it would be interesting to apply that to myself. I mean would I feel more at ease if I was more dominant and the leader of my own life? Hmm, not bad, Wade. Smile
The irony is I was thinking a couple of hours ago that I was a dog by nature...lol

Nick9 Wrote:Yeah very interesting. I don't know about my parents but it would be interesting to apply that to myself. I mean would I feel more at ease if I was more dominant and the leader of my own life? Hmm, not bad, Wade. Smile
The irony is I was thinking a couple of hours ago that I was a dog by nature...lol

I think that when parents react with anger towards a child when they come out it is because they are confused. Their idea of who their child is/was is shattered in their minds (after all, what are other people in our lives if not a mixture of their true selves and what we add to that with our own hopes and expectations? Do we truly "know" anyone?).

They need to be led through the dark with a hand holding. They'll think their child is confused. The worst mistake a child can make when coming out is appearing unsure. This only prolongs the amount of time it takes for the parent to reach acceptance.

In the end, all any of us want is to be led. To be told it's all going to be alright, whether that's for our children, our afterlife, or anything in between.