Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think I am ready
Way to go, MB. Coming out to your parents was a way of taking care of yourself. Moving out will be the same.

These are some big life changes. Hang in there!

An update after a couple of weeks. My parents basicly never mention it to me besides some comments here and there. I am happy that I am out and have no regrets about doing so. Big Grin

Sorry they cried, but glad you're happy it's over and done with. I came out in an unconventional way sort of; I basically told one family member and within a week my entire family (even some extended relatives) knew. My mom cried, although I wasn't present for that. My dad told me about it. He laughed at her when she started crying, and I kind of felt insulted that she was bawling her eyes out over something so ridiculous, but whatever. They'll get used to it, don't worry.

My dad was actually 10 times more accepting of it from the get-go than my mom was, which it's usually the reverse, or so I hear, for gay guys. The fathers are usually the ones who don't handle their sons being gay so well. I fortunately have a great dad. My mom is the tough cookie, although she's 100% accepting of it now. Still a tough cookie, though. Some things will never change.

As for your parents bringing it up to you— they should have no reason to, unless you're bringing a boy home or something. Otherwise, there's not a reason to discuss your sexuality with your parents as a topic. My parents NEVER bring it up. Not because they're repulsed by it or anything, but just because it's unimportant to them. It'd be like parents of straight kids bringing up to them the fact that they're straight. It's silly and nonsensical. My mom sometimes asks me if I've "met anyone at school" or am "seeing someone", but the answer is always no so she doesn't ask me too often about it. Hahaha.

Just read this and realized it was just weeks ago...jeez...

I admire you mbennet, you know? You make me proud

I've spent years and years trying to hide it as much as I can..haven't even dared to consider dating a guy just out of plain fear of dealing with all this...

Parents can be troublesome...except for some rare cases, one's parents will always love their children, but it doesn't always mean they are willing to accept you for who you are...fingers crossed yours will come arround and realize they have an amazing son...

As for mine, if I ever tell them I can expect nothing more that obliviousness...I don't think they will have hostile attitudes, but...ugh...I can see the silence, the awkwardness and the "I wish you wouldn't have" looks

Anyway...a hug for you and long overdue congrats!