Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK youth unemployment in the spotlight
[SIZE="3"]If ever there was a need for a good caring Government then that headline says it all, sadly we've got the worst Government ever. The only thing this Government cares about is it's own rich friends in money markets.. My heart goes out to those young people especially in the Midlands and the north who have found after leaving school their hopes and aspirations being dashed by a lais·sez faire Government that doesn't care about ordinary people. [/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]October's unemployment figures will be closely watched on Wednesday, with fears youth unemployment may top the one million mark.
Between June and August, unemployment rose by 114,000 to 2.57 million, a 17-year high. while the unemployment rate increased to 8.1%.
The jobless total for 16 to 24-year-olds hit a record high of 991,000 in the quarter, a jobless rate of 21.3%.
The government put the rises down to "the international financial crisis".
Unions and youth campaign groups are warning that 16- to 24-year-olds are bearing the brunt of the UK's job losses.
Meanwhile, Howard Archer of IHS Global Insight has forecast the number of unemployed people claiming jobseeker's allowance will show a 25,000 rise for October.
That would be an eighth successive monthly increase.
And the CBI's John Cridland has said: "With unemployment figures set to show yet another disappointing rise, we need action for jobs now."
Prime Minister David Cameron will host a breakfast with business leaders on Thursday to discuss youth unemployment.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

What do you want the government to do? Make jobs for young people? Force companies to hire them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Fred you sound just like an apologist for this god awful government. This Government would not know how to create the circumstances to foster job creation, it does not have the intellectual capacity or will do anything about the situation.

My immediate reaction to to think of the French Revolution. The French took matters into hand, devised an efficient means to remove the royalty from their position while cleanly, and with machine precision, remove the heads of those who offended the people.

Somewhere in there is the myth that some woman upon hearing that the people didn't have bread to eat she said 'Let them Eat Cake'... ushering in the age of the Guillotine.

I have this terrible gnawing deep down in my gut. The world survived a Great Depression in the last Century only because the people had faith in Government. People didn't take to the streets and get too overly upset, they took things as they came, because they still trusted their government.

For the past few decades Governments (plural) have been slowly tightening the screws on 'civil liberties' and doing many minor stupid things, pushing the people from trust to disgust. The people are not trusting the government freely, they are expecting something, and each time the government fails to do something constructive the people get a little more angrier.

Right now the Occupy people are peacefully (mostly) assembling. If some politician makes the mistake of saying 'let them eat cake' I fear that the peasants will revolt again.

What the UK has actually pointed out that there are nearly 1 million hungry students who are young, able bodied and a bit upset. The young are not prone to thinking first before acting. They are the ones who most likely will throw stones, Molotov cocktails and push society into riots, chaos and 'civil unrest'.

It could me much worse, for example the overall unemployment rate in Spain is over 20%!!!

Almac Wrote:[COLOR="Navy"]Fred you sound just like an apologist for this god awful government. This Government would not know how to create the circumstances to foster job creation, it does not have the intellectual capacity or will do anything about the situation. [/COLOR]

I'll take that as you want them to do 'something' but are not sure what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I would like this Government to give the unemployed a chance, that means creating the circumstances for the financial market to flourish so meaningful employment will be created.

Almac Wrote:I would like this Government to give the unemployed a chance, that means creating the circumstances for the financial market to flourish so meaningful employment will be created.
How does government do this?

Economics is the study of the production of wealth. It is an incredibly immature field, with theories that only partially explain reality, and top experts constantly disagreeing with each other. The solutions to your problem (youth unemployment) is different, depending upon what economic school you subscribe to.

Furthermore, the politicians expected to make economic policy are elected by a population that is almost completely ignorant of economics. Thus, the population elects leaders that are completely ignorant of economics, as well.

You mentioned in your OP that lais·sez faire government policy is responsible...but you failed to even establish which UK government policies are lais·sez faire. Your National Health Service isn't laissez faire, nor are your labor laws, EU/bank bailouts, environmental regulations, international trade rules, financial sector regulations, corporate rules, food safety, academic research, or military. I'm having a hard time thinking of a single economic sector that isn't in some way regulated by the UK government.

What I really think you mean, when you attack so-called lais·sez faire policies, is that you're blaming the Tories for your economic woes without any real understanding of the mechanisms and policies at play. It's an intellectual short-cut which won't do your country any favors.

There isn't a single political party which has the magical answers to this global turmoil. Even the best and brightest minds on Earth cannot accurately predict the effect of any policy, because humankind is grappling with too many radical social changes at once. And any one country that happens upon an effective solution for their immediate problems will soon be racked by problems facing other countries and continents.

---

Here in America we're paralyzed because of two conflicting desires. Our national debt is skyrocketing to levels that endanger the global economy, yet Americans who lost everything in the past three years rely upon that debt-stream to avoid homelessness and/or starvation. If we tackle the debt problem, we protect the future of the global economy by throwing struggling Americans to the wolves...while if we support the people who were devastated by the 2008 crash, we dramatically increase the risk of catastrophic global collapse in the next 5-10 years. And so our government does nothing, paralyzed, and we all wait for the next shoe to fall.

A Eurozone collapse in the coming months could be that shoe. If that happens...the 2010s may become a lost decade.

Here's a great [music] video that summarizes the biggest economic fight currently shaping our world:

Both your UK and my US governments have hired mostly Keynesian advisors. Hence the deficit spending, bailouts, and "quantitative easing" (money-printing). Not working that well.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:What the UK has actually pointed out that there are nearly 1 million hungry students who are young, able bodied and a bit upset. The young are not prone to thinking first before acting. They are the ones who most likely will throw stones, Molotov cocktails and push society into riots, chaos and 'civil unrest'.
The irony is that, were these hungry students to somehow take control, it wouldn't just be students starving. To use your French Revolution analogy...the revolution led to Le Emperor, Napoleon. His empire and resulting decades of war were a far cry from what the initial revolutionaries desired.