Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was discriminated against and Feel terrible
First, I'm terribly sorry you had this experience. Whatever the reason, it's uncalled for and it hurts - whether we know that it shouldn't or not.

That said, I'd do exactly what everyone else recommended. I'd put them on blast on all types of social media, then I'd email the link to your Yelp review to the manager (or preferably her boss/the owner who you should be able to contact either by calling the bar during the hour that they open when its less busy, or by being thorough in a google search. A WhoIs search of the website can lead you to the person/company that owns the bar and help open doors for communicating with them). Let them know their behavior is unacceptable. In some situations, I'd recommend letting them rectify it, but this doesn't sound like one where I'd take any conciliatory offers seriously.

Finally, I'd recognize that, while it sucks, one of the above posters was right. Perhaps it was a gift that you weren't let in. Like attracts like, and whatever reason you didn't get in may have been discriminated against much more thoroughly had you been granted access. They're probably mostly douches anyways. Water off a duck's back.

Just my two cents.

NAME SHAME. I'll help shame them. What's the business called n.n

You've all been very helpful, and I'm going to take your advice and "name and shame" them.
Kiid your offer is very kind, but you don't have to do that, but if you want to it's called:
"Death and Company" in in Manhatten in NYC.

I really do appreciate eveyone's advice you make me feel better, thanks.

Definitely Name and Shame, especially in NYC. As you know bars and clubs in the city are a dime a dozen and live and die by their reputation. Plus NYC has the largest gay community in the world, and there's a significant amount of money in that community, putting the word out will definitely affect this places bottom line.
I'm sorry you got treated that way, I love New York and every time I visit I love it even more.

Richard

Dan1980 Wrote:Name and shame them and then leave a bad review of the club. I will email the manager again and if I didn't get a reply I would contact head office.

Unless its part of a chain I doubt there is a head office to write to.

Personally I don't think its worth the hassle of even contacting them again, its clear that your custom is not wanted and that they don't give a shit. Just blacklist this bar and move on to better places.

Also, what's the deal with people suing each other over everything?.....

Since you have lived in NYC all your life, and never had this problem before, I'm a bit surprised at your post. Yelp, for anything other than the closest (fill in the blank) in NYC is for tourist only. All real happening are by word of mouth only.

You evidently broke one of the ABC's of trying to entering a venue with a person at the door - without a list. Remember they are employed for one thing only, to make sure the mix/crowd is right for that night. The manager will very rarely go against them as they depend on talent, much like a restaurant does it's chef - to produce consistence results. The right crowd for what ever they are hyping/selling.

A is for Attitude
B is for Believability
C is for Confidence

Hesitate, for a fraction of a second, on, any of the ABC's, and your never gonna get in, that night. Game over.

If you really want to get something done about how you feel - then activate the velvet rope phone tree you said you're in with, as you clearly know they make or break you or a venue in this part of NY society. Use the same principal as Elle Woods employed.

All it will take, is a few calls from this group to the owners - bypassing the manager - and you will get the clubs private number for people - who needn't bother with a door personnel.

They all have "the number", but, you must get on that list too.

They all have dress codes as well, but unless you're and insider in that venue they won't tell you - it's a visual clue to the door person to scrutinize the ABC's - then decide to let you in or give you the run around. Jean and t-shirt, as you said, can be OK in some cases - but to the trained eye the make and cut speak volumes when add to the ABC's.

I know the place - it's a couple of block's from my apt; it's OK, but nothing different from the speakeasy feel the whole city is now trending towards. Very slow service.

Personally, I think it's all horse shit, but if you want to play - those are the rules. Sorry this happened to you.

If you find yourself back in the area try Temple Bar on Lafayette Street - it's just a few block away. It the original all the rest are fashioning them self's after.

No door person, way classier and a much cooler down to earth crowd!

MissingNYC Wrote:Since you have lived in NYC all your life, and never had this problem before, I'm a bit surprised at your post. Yelp, for anything other than the closest (fill in the blank) in NYC is for tourist only. All real happening are by word of mouth only.

You evidently broke one of the ABC's of trying to entering a venue with a person at the door - without a list. Remember they are employed for one thing only, to make sure the mix/crowd is right for that night. The manager will very rarely go against them as they depend on talent, much like a restaurant does it's chef - to produce consistence results. The right crowd for what ever they are hyping/selling.

A is for Attitude
B is for Believability
C is for Confidence

Hesitate, for a fraction of a second, on, any of the ABC's, and your never gonna get in, that night. Game over.

If you really want to get something done about how you feel - then activate the velvet rope phone tree you said you're in with, as you clearly know they make or break you or a venue in this part of NY society. Use the same principal as Elle Woods employed.

All it will take, is a few calls from this group to the owners - bypassing the manager - and you will get the clubs private number for people - who needn't bother with a door personnel.

They all have "the number", but, you must get on that list too.

They all have dress codes as well, but unless you're and insider in that venue they won't tell you - it's a visual clue to the door person to scrutinize the ABC's - then decide to let you in or give you the run around. Jean and t-shirt, as you said, can be OK in some cases - but to the trained eye the make and cut speak volumes when add to the ABC's.

I know the place - it's a couple of block's from my apt; it's OK, but nothing different from the speakeasy feel the whole city is now trending towards. Very slow service.

Personally, I think it's all horse shit, but if you want to play - those are the rules. Sorry this happened to you.

If you find yourself back in the area try Temple Bar on Lafayette Street - it's just a few block away. It the original all the rest are fashioning them self's after.

No door person, way classier and a much cooler down to earth crowd!

My apology for hijacking this thread.

I don't go and have zero interest in clubbing; I'm a very boring person. But people actually go through all these 'difficulties' just to enter, hang around and dance in a club?

No offense but all these sound so superficial and shallow.

Sorry for hijacking again.

Jay Wrote:My apology for hijacking this thread.

I don't go and have zero interest in clubbing; I'm a very boring person. But people actually go through all these 'difficulties' just to enter, hang around and dance in a club?

No offense but all these sound so superficial and shallow.

Sorry for hijacking again.

No problem - I did not make the rules; they just are.

I said that I thought they were horse shit! This is not even a dance club, it for drinks and food only!

You would be surprises by the amount of people who live - just to find moments in this type of life style. USA Or Malaysia! Oh yea, been there and your country has it's own set of rules - not too much different!

There are tons of clubs like that in New York, I have heard if them referred to as "Stand and Watch" clubs because that's what you do once you get inside. Personally never been to one, I love NYC but I never got into the In crowd on any of my visits.

Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

MissingNYC Wrote:No problem - I did not make the rules; they just are.

I said that I thought they were horse shit! This is not even a dance club, it for drinks and food only!

You would be surprises by the amount of people who live - just to find moments in this type of life style. USA Or Malaysia! Oh yea, been there and your country has it's own set of rules - not too much different!

Yes, I did read the horse sh*t part. I know that you didn't make the rules.

I was basically agreeing with your thoughts.