Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is good advice for winning over a FWB?
A friend and were once in a monogamous romantic relationship for about 6 months. The relationship did not end on good terms for me, as he decided to end it.

We remained friends and are still physical when we see each other. We're both now non-monogamous (in physical intimate relations with more than 1 person at a time).

I still have very strong feelings for him, and he has told me he has strong feelings for me, but it is clear that he does not reciprocate mine fully. He also has another FWB who he's very very close to, and has fully disclosed that this FWB of his he has much stronger feelings for than me (he told me I was around '80', compared to this FWB as a '100' in terms of feelings).

It's not my wish to change his relationships, and I am both happy and jealous for him--I only want to know if there's any way he could develop stronger feelings for me, and what things I could that would either push him away or could help draw him closer to me.

I am looking for this advice as while I'm still meeting new people and have other relations, none of them come close to my desire or feeling for this guy, nor have they matched the intimacy or passion of our physical relation. Which has left me wondering, why I should I chase after silver when I've already got gold in my pocket.

What I've been doing:

-Keeping my distance. I try to see him about once every 2 weeks (we both have very busy lifestyles).

-Been very open about my other relationships and intimate activities (e.g. if I had unprotected sex).

-Making it clear I don't want to come between him and his close FWB.

-Very gradually disclosing my feelings over each time we meet, rather than dropping everything all at once.

-Making subtle hints about what I would do for him (e.g. financially support him, ask him to live with me, buy him clothes, etc.--he doesn't have much money and his close FWB is completely dependent, supported by parents). However, he's definitely picked up on these and usually shrugs them off or ignores them.

My hypothesis is that there isn't really anything to be done to making his feelings stronger. My fear is that he'll meet yet another guy he really likes (after all, new relations are very exciting and passionate compared to old ones) like his very close FWB, and I'll be sidelined even more so. This is what I feared when we first broke up, and of course came true.

I wonder what are things I should avoid doing that could push him away?

Here is one thing you could try: Let. It. Go.
~Beaux

I'm going to agree with Beaux on this. At the core of winning back a person there is a game being played. A relationship is not a game. Neither should there be any testing's with control groups, hypothesis's or percentages. This situation is chipping away at your self confidence to the point that you have begun to create lists on how to manipulate a person you "say" you care about. Your going to have to let this one go Seth and find a relationship that focuses on the heart and not the mind.

sethmachine Wrote:-Making subtle hints about what I would do for him (e.g. financially support him, ask him to live with me, buy him clothes, etc.--he doesn't have much money and his close FWB is completely dependent, supported by parents). However, he's definitely picked up on these and usually shrugs them off or ignores them.

My hypothesis is that there isn't really anything to be done to making his feelings stronger. My fear is that he'll meet yet another guy he really likes (after all, new relations are very exciting and passionate compared to old ones) like his very close FWB, and I'll be sidelined even more so. This is what I feared when we first broke up, and of course came true.

Desperation is a turn-off. Offering to buy someone's time/affection jumps out among all the kind of manufactured efforts you describe as something that would be repellant... and even if it wasn't, what would that say? You're a little young to be somebody's sugar daddy.

I think he's been pretty clear with you that he isn't looking for the same thing from you. I would refocus my efforts on someone who is willing to give you 100%.

Easier said than done but I agree with Beaux, I think you need to let this guy go. He broke up with you before with you being pushed aside, and from everything he has said to you, it seems bound to happen again. This is backed up by the fact he is not responding to your hints. Let it go.

sethmachine Wrote:...I still have very strong feelings for him, and he has told me he has strong feelings for me, but it is clear that he does not reciprocate mine fully....
My hypothesis is that there isn't really anything to be done to making his feelings stronger. ...

Yeah, you're right. There is nothing to be done to make his feelings stronger.

What will push him away is you clinging to what you once had, or you acting with ulterior motives around him. He will sense it and withdraw more.

So, your best strategy is to find someone who likes you for who you really are. This is not your ex who broke up with you. Beware of holding on to what isn't there. It's like fool's gold.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

I'll make this easier on you than it was on me, and I will give you the wisdom. I had to earn this...

The things you cannot change are those things that go on in others. You cannot change their behaviors, reactions and feelings about nothing no matter how hard you may think you can - you cannot.

The things you can change are those things that go on inside of you - Your feelings, your reactions, your behaviors.

In this case, you either need to accept what is as it is, or you need to change how you feel about him.

I personally would have walked away as soon as he dumped me and never look back.

"...why should I chase after silver when I've already got gold in my pocket. ..|

Part of the point that everyone else who's replied has made is that you DON'T have gold in your pocket. All of the advice was sound and I agree with it all...but I think you should read over what [MENTION=12444]Bowyn Aerrow[/MENTION] said until you get it on a feeling level. It applies not only to this situation but to everything in life.

I had the experience of someone trying to buy my love...and I can't think of a bigger turnoff. [MENTION=13210]Beaux[/MENTION] said it simply and succinctly. Let. It. Go.

...and I'm sorry, but wtf do you mean, unprotected sex??!?!!???!?

Not exactly ideal conditions for a relationship to blossom...

If you both agree you "want" each other and are able to simplify surrounding circumstances..(time,eliminating all those FWBs)
Then there is fair play for nurturing a budding relationship?

This is so appropriate Boweyn Aerrow: I LOVE IT!!!..speaks in volumes especially for this discussion topic...enough said as far as I'm concern.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.