Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What piece of classical music do you like?
Frederic Chopin's "Polonaise in A Flat Major, Op. 53"

Elgar, Pomp and Circumstance March No.1

i love this piece put to theatre - please view it as a movie though n not my views - i do love the Elgar clip though Lionhart...it rocks

Matty7, still classical.

The Ride of the Valkyries (German: Walkürenritt) is the popular term for the beginning of Act III of Die Walküre by Richard Wagner. The main theme of the ride, the leitmotif labelled Walkürenritt was first written down by the composer on 23 July 1851.

Any more folks, just post them.

Another classic.

Ravel's Bolero

:dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:

Rychard the Lionheart Wrote:Another classic.

Ravel's Bolero

Offtopic & a bit nerdy

Many people, including myself have never heard Ravel's Bolero properly. The dynamic range of the piece (i.e. the volume difference from the quietest part to the loudest) is greater than the dynamic range allowed by the CD format. Therefore to put the piece on to CD, the very quiet start needs to be made relatively louder and the finale reactively quieter.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Offtopic & a bit nerdy

Many people, including myself have never heard Ravel's Bolero properly. The dynamic range of the piece (i.e. the volume difference from the quietest part to the loudest) is greater than the dynamic range allowed by the CD format. Therefore to put the piece on to CD, the very quiet start needs to be made relatively louder and the finale reactively quieter.
Not nerdy at all. It is an absolutely valid and important consideration. See the piece performed in concert and it is usually the snare drum player who receives special applause. If anyone hasn't thought about it, listen to the piece again and focus on what the snare player is doing for the ten minutes or so of the work. Better still go and see an orchestra play it live Wink

Boléro is a one-movement orchestral piece by Maurice Ravel. Originally composed as a ballet, the piece, which premiered in 1928, is considered Ravel's most famous musical composition. Are you going to include the music from the ballets by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty and The Nut Cracker as well? People remember the Torvil & Dean ice skating performance with Ravel's Bolero, which helps to make the public aware of classical music. NERDY NO WAY!!! :dance3:

i got another 2, not sure if the second is allowed in this catagory though as its played on guitar,

or this which is an electric guitar version of a classical tune but not sure if it belongs here ?? i liked it though

Matt, sadly number 2 does not make the grade, just like LPO doing the Beatles. It would be interesting to know what type of music Mozat or Bach, even Beethoven would have written for the electric guitar.

George Beauchamp developed the first successful Electric Guitar in 1931 after leaving the National Resophonic Guitar Company of Los Angles, California to start the electRO-PATin-INstrument Company with Adolph Rickenbacker and Paul Barth. another piece of trivia for you,