Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which is worse- Gay or straight slang?
I don't care about mainstream gay slang (twinks, daddies, bears etc)

When it comes to sexuality slang and extra pointless titles I get uber frustrated.

Why can't we all just be gay or queer?

Someone give me a clue. What is swag or yolo?

As a kid, pirates kept swag in trunks on deserted islands. I was terrific with a yoyo. I did lots of tricks with yoyos.

Whenever someone seriously uses the phrase YOLO I cry a little on the inside :'(

I hate when someone calls a guy "gurl". I'm a man. I do not have female parts. I celebrate the male form. Calling another man "gurl" is a complete insult to me as a man.

gilhooly Wrote:Someone give me a clue. What is swag or yolo?

Yolo, aka Y.O.L.O., means "You Only Live Once." It seems to be primarily applied to doing something really stupid as opposed to exciting, but then I suppose "stupid" and "exciting" are synonymous to all too many people. That phrase would've probably been the motto of Jackass had it been in use when the show came out. Though to be fair I've heard a song (possibly even the inspiration for the word, I don't know) that featured "You Only Live Once" that basically said "chill/relax/chillax" and not sweat all the things that could happen, just live in the moment...which can actually be good advice to some people who are too paralyzed to do anything as they're so scared of the bad that could happen (and as a result miss out on living their lives).

And I'm not certain about "swag." When I was younger it meant like prizes or gifts just for showing up (so like you show up a scifi convention and you might get free figurines and posters as "swag" to take with you), but it seems to be used differently today...best as I can tell it means like how you look or present yourself (as in attitude), and there are variants such as "swagger." I wasn't paying attention so I may be wrong, but I think the word started to get used like this after Tik Tok by Ke$ha played constantly over the radio that bragged of the dudes coming onto her and her friends with the line (as best I recall), "The dudes are lining up because they hear we got swagger, but we kick 'em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger." (Gods, just REMEMBERING that line was painful, glad I didn't make myself sit through it again...)

Arkansota Wrote:You don't see gay men walking like murderous gangstas and saying #YOswagLO, do you?

Oh really? How many of the mainstream gay rappers do you know? Oh wait you don't know who they are but I do Smile - You'd be surprised Ark!

re: SWAG...

To me it means a camping bed, however I just thought it come from somthing like 'swagger' (as in how you move and present yourself to others).

I keep laughing at the "SWAG: secretly we are gay" thing though.

Why waste time and say (Standard English): "Hello, are you Gerald's Son?" When you can say(Bermudian English): "Wagwaan, ya Gerald's Bie?" Or (Jamaican Patois): "Wagwaan, unu Gerald's Pickney?"

Yip!

I can see that doing my career a whole lot of good in an inter-company executive level meeting....

Everything in it's place. You have to know how to communicate properly first, then you will know when and how to apply the variations, two of which are slang, and text-speak