Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which is worse- Gay or straight slang?
Eh.....no problems here. In America I'm immersed in slang. never rubbed off on me. Don't mind it.

Mick

Honestly, the development of slang tends to be a sign that a culture is developing as well, be it for good or ill. It also allows cultures to express unique traits, such as the Jamaican slang one fellow was using. Certainly an interesting dialect...

Regarding the topic at hand, though-- it's likely that as LGBT culture gains acceptance and spreads, more universal and regional slang will develop along with it to describe nuances of the culture. So, OP, you might just find yourself growing more accepting as time passes. Provided it strays from negativity, anyway.

--Vow

Sylph Wrote:Camp, Queen, Nelly and Butch, Stud, Daddy respectively.

Still, I believe "Slang" is important and isn't unique to the modern age. Ever heard of Pidgins?

Why waste time and say (Standard English): "Hello, are you Gerald's Son?" When you can say(Bermudian English): "Wagwaan, ya Gerald's Bie?" Or (Jamaican Patois): "Wagwaan, unu Gerald's Pickney?"

Much simpler and quicker. (Although we've adopted the whole "Wagwaan" thing from Jamaicans, so typically we would say Hello as well)

Not to say regular english is bad, but sometimes slang is important and remember, the root of alot of "real slang" originates from under-education. Sneakers =Kicks, because maybe a homeless boy saw someone kicking rocks and called the things Kicks and it caught on.

Very informative,thanks Odi! First time I've heard about pidgin and an example with that,not sure if my language (Malay) has it or not. I'm also speaking slang instead of standard language,and I believe it is important and take it as my precious identity. Smile

Yall know what? I don't give a fuck what people think about me you know why? because YOLO.

jk xD

Most slang has deep cultural and historical contexts attached to them.
Some even had an important purpose,
way back when,
at one time,
forming a sense of safety,
identity,
and belonging between a people.

I find nothing "better or worse" about slang.

Yes,
there's contemporary pop-culture slang that can annoy people,
but let it be,
it's not hurting anyone,
and won't even be used a few years down the line anyways.

Arkansota Wrote:Bear- Hairy gay man
Cub- Young bear
Twink- Smooth, hairless young adult gay male
Daddy- Prefers much younger men
Son- Prefers much older men

Well I disagree with those terms and I also wouldn't call that slang either, referential terms maybe but not slang.

Gay slang is incredibly creative and has a very rich history (research Polari if you don't believe me)

Modern gay slang is trashy but in its own way catchy and I find arguably rather clever (just listen to the queens on Rupauls drag race)

I'll put my vote down for gay slurs only because I don't think slurs for straight people exist, or at least I've never heard of them.

If there are, then it's likely to be something stupid like how wizards in Harry Potter call normal people "Muggles".

Slang used to be "cute" because it pretty much stayed the same. But since the 1990's, slang changes drastically every single year. By the time you get used to one slang, its all been replaced by something totally different.

I just gave up. If I dont understand your stupid ass talking to me, I just ignore.

Speak English or shut the hell up.

Slang
Slanguage
Slurred Language

Well I don't mind slang anyways. Words are words. I don't care for political correctness much so if there is no words of people in the middle of the spectrum.... I just give no fucks

In the Philippines theres a whole gay language called 'bekinese' or 'bekimon'.

I'm Filipino and every time I visit it's always fun to speak it. I think it's more of an expression of creativity more than anything else.