Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Peace
Never ever ever ever ever.

As long as there is one living creature on this planet, there will never be peace.

This topic was part of our course in high school sociology class. You cant have peace, unless every single living thing has the same EXACT mindset. And even with the same exact mindset, you will still have ones that dont like SOMETHING.

Lets say you think you have created the perfect peaceful world....everybody is blond, blue eyed, 5'-10", 150 pounds, and each person is in perfect health. There is no poverty, no crime, no war, no starvation, no disease, no lonliness.

Boring, right? Well, not really. Somebody will think they are more blond than someone else, or that someone else has bluer eyes than them, or that somebody is taller or shorter.......

You would then have "witchhunts" for those who are pointed out for being "non conformist", whether they are or not. Brutality, hate, and wars would start all over again.

So no....there will never be peace on this planet.

I can't imagine it, even in my wildest dreams, but, I cannot say with 100% certainty - never.

Maybe in a parallel universe where people help each other.

dfiant Wrote:Never has been and never will be. While ever someone has something that someone else wants or there is religion, there will be conflict...therefore there will never be peace.

The Animal Kingdom ( Which humans prefer to distance themselves from, but in reality we are part of) in general will never be at peace Wink

While we may be part of the Animal Kingdom ,at least we can do what other animals can't do.Which is we can control the animal inside us and we can do by using self-control and pure reason to do it. I would also like to add that I believe that in time self-control and pure reason will lead us into a wonderful golden age.Where we will final have a period of history not stained by hate,racism, or any other form of discrimination,But that is just my thoughts on the matter.

QueenOdi Wrote:Oh sis, you just opened a can o worms lol.

Personally, I believe history will always repeat itself, albeit in different ways at times, but never-the-less repeated. Genocides, holocausts, discrimination, racism, wars, injustice and also good things as well such as improvements upon human infrastructure, such as with technology.

So to me, peace is a notion that only comes with acceptance of one's own being and enjoyment of the life that they've been given and how they choose to steer it. Not a form of nomenclature, in which it requires the systemic involvement of others in order for it to be attained.

Blacks struggled for freedom from the oppression of slavery, and yet even freed, they now struggle from the modern form of mental and sometimes physical slavery which results from an impoverished state of mind (I.e - "I'm black, so I gotta drop outta school and commit crimes and join a gang").

Same for women. Fought to be free of the control men had over them, but still seek men who have a lot of the qualities men of previous times had( domineering, powerful, masculine), at least to an extent.

You can change the words in a message, but it still is a message.

I hope for equality and change, but like hairstyles, they never stay in style for very long. (Greeks at one point were the epitome the peaceful harmonious lifestyle and then quickly became outdated and only has just begun to resemble itself in modern culture now.)

I just want to say, I liked your well thought out reply.

Chase Wrote:Don't be silly, the media played plenty of attention to the 2012 GOP primary. You have no excuse to not know world peace is impossible.

"There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always—do not forget this, Winston—always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever."
—Part III, Chapter III, Nineteen Eighty-Four
Novel by George Orwell, Inner Party member O'Brien describes the Party's vision of the future

My response to you is that having the idea that world peace is possible is not being silly, and I would also like to add that regardless of what attention the media gave to the 2012 GOP primary peace can still be achieved if we work toward it.

humans are naturally violent when it comes to territory - there will have to be a shift for there to be world peace - I can't see it happening in my life time

We've been pretty close to world peace for the last 60 years, but I do not believe we will ever achieve a state where there are not somewhere human beings killing each other in large numbers. Even if we miraculously managed to somehow eliminate racial, religious and ideological differences there will always be conflict over resources, which I expect to worsen in the coming decades.

Though there have been many dreadful wars in the past 60 years there are also across most of the world two entire generations who have grown up not having had to feel for themselves the horrors of war.

War was a seasonal occurrence for much of mankind's history.