Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you come out if you were interested in an openly gay person
I'm not really sure how "coming out" would work for me. My mom knows, and I have no friends I talk to everyday to tell. Believe it or not, many people just aren't interested in the fabulous life of moi. People at work have asked me if I had dates, but I've made it into a habit of responding to those questions with a joke, I don't think I could ever break that habit.

I missed my opportunity about 10 years ago and still beat myself up over it from time to time, he even asked me three times on separate occasions. It's probably for the better since the trust just wasn't there on my end. I was too worried about who he might talk to about it had I come out to him. I wasn't too good at reading him and still wasn't sure if he was even gay. It's easy for me to say if I had that chance again I'd go for it. Unfortunately, it's impossible to know what you will do until you're actually put into that situation.

dont really work out if one is not out and the other is out to everyone cause the one that is out dont feel like hiding cause your not out

Well given I came out to my parents for my ex-boyfreind who was semi out...

(He would have came out entirely but was an eagle scout. And you know how backwards they are, and wanted to retain the mark to look good on papers, which I didn't mind)

Yes?

I'm only out to certain people, those that ask really. It is no one's business for me to run around and make it what I am about.

If I was dating someone that was openly gay, I would be out when he met friends and I'd say "oh and this is my BF ________ "

The only hard part I have about this is my parents. They have now gotten older, are retired and while they love me I really can't be bothered going through that, especially after them meeting many GF's in the past (some that have gotten quite serious). I feel it would be one of those awkward moments, like my grandmother that still asks about this goth girl I dated when I was 18 at every family function (she thinks I'm still dating her, ah senility)

I'm a firm believer that everyone has the right to stay in the closet if that is their comfort zone. I am also a firm believer that a person has the right to choose the time and place to come out on their own terms rather than be backed into a corner and in essence be forced to come out.

I also believe that if you are in the closet and someone says they would only date you if you came out, then that relationship isn't going to work. Ultimatums never make relationships work. Talking about these things and understanding each other needs and wants is what is going to make the relationship work.

coming out is a personal matter you shouldn't come out just because you're seeing someone but because you really want to

I don't think but I don't really see the problem, I could live my life 'in' with a partner 'out'.
If my partner wants me to be 'out' I would think about it.

I've slowly been coming out over a few years time so that if I do happen to meet a great guy it won't be as much of an issue. I've gone from only one other person knowing when I was in my 20's to perhaps a dozen now, and the pace has increased lately.

What I'm realizing is that most of the time it just isn't a big deal. My best friend, for instance, put it all together without my having to tell him, and never bothered to bring it up. My daughter treats me just the same as before, except she's stopped telling me about all the cute single moms. I consider myself lucky that I haven't had any real issues.

I will say though, I have no confidence that it would go over well at my workplace. Those guys are pretty well as redneck as it gets, and not likely to change any time soon. So at this point, it's just not something I intend to discuss with any coworkers. Ever.