Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you like to get married?
I want to be married one day, I want to have kids, a family etc... Big Grin

No, cause here's the thing;

As stated previously, Love does not require any certification to me, so save the paper Sis. Do the planet a favour.

However important the benefits are, I personally do not seek to be married just because of them, because that's all marriage is to me...a business. You PAY to get Married, SIGN documents and papers to make things "real" and then get BENEFITS for it, as you would with any business transaction.

I am a hopeless romantic, everyone knows this already, and as much as the prospect of my man getting on one knee and holding a box with a Gigantic Emerald Ring totally would make my life, he doesn't have to do that to prove he loves me.

However, not to say I would refuse him, as I do not seek marriage, but would accept the proposal if I can see us working, it's just not something I would set as "my goal" or a need/want on my list in order to be happy and complete.

So perhaps I should amend my answer to, Maybe. As while I do not seek Marriage, I am not opposed to it either.

Just me Sis <3

stranger221 Wrote:being THE HOPELESS ROMANTIC THAT i AM...YES!

Oh well life has yet to get you in its clutches, mark my words young man, by the time you are 27 you too will be a Jaded Old Queen :biggrin:

I love the idea of being married to someone but I do not think I could trust anyone that much to commit to marriage. If I found the right guy I might change my mind.

I dont believe in the state of "marriage" that the religious zealots have beaten into everybodys heads...

I believe in the marriage of life between two people, a monogamous, deep rooted, commitment between two people.

A shiny piece of tin around my finger doesnt prove love, sanctity, or eternal commitment.
A big expensive "do", does not guarantee a life of happiness and prosperity between two people.

I would love to be committed to another person. The crazy hetero's can keep their "marriage"...I want no part of it.

I don't think so...........maybe.........no.........I think not

I'm not really sure I want to get married.

All interesting viewpoints.

I agree that a piece of paper means very little, aside from being symbolic -- and as krupt brought up, the legal benefits that come with it (which again can be obtained from the defacto thing.)

I think though, a lot of us grow up with the idea of getting married, having a perfect family, white picket fence, yada yada. It's a nice thought.. even if it doesn't always happen for everyone (dare I say more often than not?). So I guess it makes sense for many of us to want the option to get married (not gay marriage, same sex marriage, but marriage, as you put it..krupt).

As said in my topic post, I'd like to get married in the future.. or at least have the option, if I were to find the right person... but just to clarify, I am by no means desperate or longing to get married just to do so.. and I personally don't think anyone should rush into marriage, especially at a young age. Even though at this point I'd love to have at least a boyfriend, I will admit that sometimes the freedom of being completely single is nice... once I get over moping about it :p

I am married. Ten years ago, my partner and I had a beautiful ceremony, performed by a minister. It was outdoors, by a koi pond under a gazebo in the Spring. Our colors were white and burgundy. It was a beautiful wedding. Our song was "At Last" by the late, great Etta James and our rings were identical white gold bands with three diamonds. I planned the whole thing and my best friend from culinary school catered the reception dinner. We were surrounded by family and friends and it was a wonderful celebration.

Although it wasn't recognized by any government, in my heart and soul, I am married. It is not always easy. Sometimes being in a relationship is a LOT of work. But I know that if we had not become committed to each other, I would have strayed at some point during the past 10 years. Is that shallow of me? Maybe, but it is also truthful. Sometimes a piece of paper is NOT just a piece of paper. Sometimes, the words on that paper are enough to keep a person from making a horrible mistake. Sometimes a piece of paper...or the ring on your finger...is enough of a reminder that you have something worth fighting for at home. Soooo... as much as I flirt...and as much as I am one randy, hyper-sexual f@#ker... I also have not strayed thanks in part to that piece of framed paper hanging on the wall in our den. Does it mean anything to anyone else? No. But it does to me, and it helps to keep me from making mistakes.

Actually, marriage protects people from having their rights violated, in small ways involving social security and insurance bennies to much more significant ways as this:

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/jun/25/w...ied-visit/

Quote:The family vacation cruise that Janice Langbehn, her partner Lisa Marie Pond and three of their four children set out to take in February 2007 was designed to be a celebration of the lesbian couple's 18 years together.

But when Pond suffered a massive stroke onboard before the ship left port and was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital, administrators refused to let Langbehn into the Pond's hospital room. A social worker told them they were in an "anti-gay city and state."

Langbehn filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday charging the hospital with negligence and "anti-gay animus" in refusing to recognize her and the children as Pond's family, even after a power of attorney was faxed to the hospital within an hour of their arrival

Quote:"No matter what your definition of family is, this family went through terrible indignities," said Donald Hayden, a Miami lawyer who joined the national advocacy group Lambda Legal in bringing the suit. "The partners here did everything they were supposed to do under law and were still denied visitation rights that should have been allowed."

Jackson officials declined to comment, except to say that the hospital follows state and federal laws on patient privacy that can forbid releasing health information to those outside the patient's immediate family.

Quote:Pond, 39, was pronounced dead of a brain aneurysm about 18 hours after being admitted to Jackson's Ryder Trauma Center. Langbehn said she was allowed in to see her partner only for about five minutes, as a priest gave Pond the last rites.

"I never thought almost 20 years of love and family could be disregarded in an instant," said Langbehn, a social worker who lives with her children in Lacey, Wash.

And note that they WERE NOT CONSIDERED FAMILY. Such is the difference between "civil union" and "marriage" (a non religious ceremony that hets get outside the church all the time, such as with the Justice of the Peace, and btw, there are churches who would marry gays if allowed, not to mention other religions). And some thought they had it bad because they had to sit at the back of the bus. (Not to put down what other minorities faced, and I'm certainly aware this was one of the least indignities put up with, but it gobsmacks me that people can realize just how unjust and bad it was to make people sit at the back like a kid and yet somehow not realize that this--one treated as less than human and love as unreal--is far worse than that.)

And here's what happened to 2 men who loved each other when one died and them and their mutual property unprotected by a marriage prohibited to them: