Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
accent
Hey,
I was wondering what accent you have and what accent you find sexy or annoying?

So first I will say about myself. As long as I am not native speaker I speak some international English if you can say so. But I don't have an accent of my country. and if I had to choose between British and American I speak more in an American way because my teacher was American when I started learning.

Recently I am trying to find out more about British accents and I liked Scouse (Liverpool) and Geordie (Newcastle) accents but I can't see a difference. To me it just sounds like Geordie is stronger. I don't know why I liked it, it's funny in a nice way.

and if any Americans reply this, please attach videos too if you can because just saying Mid-west or east-coast doesn't make any sense for me :tongue: and you can choose the best video on YouTube so I'll get it.

I have a Geordie accent I live in the northeast of the Uk! Lol it's a great accent, I like a polish accent or Italian :-)

I don't think I have any accent but some people claim that Californians do have an accent...I am not aware of what it is.

The accent I find sexy is Brazilian or actually most of South America...

Spanish accents (from Spain) are also sexy to me...

I also love listening to my Filipino friend's accents....

...Japanese and Russian accents are also pleasing to me....

The only one that gets on my nerves are Caribbean accents and US Southern accents sometimes (like Rick Perry or people named Sheriff Buford or Billy Bob) but with the US Southern accents it is more about the person than the accent...some I find charming but the person cannot be a bigot or sexist or a homophobe because then I find the accent particularly repugnant...also I usually dont' care for Indian accents for some reason.

Also Geordie has alot of its own words lol

I love austrailian accents.

Accents don't do anything for me one way or another.

East Wrote:I don't think I have any accent but some people claim that Californians do have an accent...I am not aware of what it is.

I grew up in Texas and I still have an accent (I sometimes like to call it my "Joplin accent" because some people who hate Texas accents like Janis Joplin for some weird reason, and for those curious her accent is almost identical to mine...she's a perfect match for my Granny, down to her hoarse laugh). So I think if there was a California accent I'd have noticed it by now. I haven't (though I suspect people who say there's a "California accent" actually mean Valleyspeak). There are, of course, countless accents as people of every background mix together, however.

ETA: The "Joplin accent" (that's right, she's a Texan, we ain't all like Bush or Perry):

I love a Latino accent :biggrin:

I got a thing for the pommy accents.

Pix Wrote:Accents don't do anything for me one way or another.

I grew up in Texas and I still have an accent (I sometimes like to call it my "Joplin accent" because some people who hate Texas accents like Janis Joplin for some weird reason, and for those curious her accent is almost identical to mine...she's a perfect match for my Granny, down to her hoarse laugh). So I think if there was a California accent I'd have noticed it by now. I haven't (though I suspect people who say there's a "California accent" actually mean Valleyspeak). There are, of course, countless accents as people of every background mix together, however.

ETA: The "Joplin accent" (that's right, she's a Texan, we ain't all like Bush or Perry):

I love Janis...ALOT ...and I love her voice (and her laugh) but I never really associate it with Texas. Interesting. Like I said though...It is more about the person because when I hear Ann Richards talk I am charmed..when I hear Rick Perry or GW...err...not so charmed...:eek:

When I was a child I had a speech impediment - I stuttered badly. I still do when I get agitatedWink or when I try to talk to fast.... In real life I talk far less than I write. I more than make up for my lack of speech with verbosity of the written word:tongue:.

My father hired a woman from England to 'teach me' how to speak 'properly'. She had a Northern accent (Northern English) which kind of sort of rubbed off on me slightly. this was not an a credited speech therapist, just a lady who spoke what my father considered 'proper English'.

I speak proper like regular folk on most occasions. Wink I tend to drop 'the' in sentences. I do not speak of the hospital I speak of hospital. I do not speak of university, I speak of just university.

"John went to university after he got out of hospital."
instead of.
"John when to the university after he got out of the hospital."

In speech I refrain from idioms and colorful patterns of speech. This is largely due to the fact that many folk out here in the western states made fun of me talking about 'cricks' and 'hallars' and 'the way the crow flies' and my all time favorite 'ever what you _____'. I spent a large chunk of my childhood in Kentucky, I picked up a lot of nasty habits - like 'y'all'.

I made an effort to get a "media accent" that accent or lack of accent that most news casters have in the USA - no matter where they hail from, you can't tell by the way they speak, and every one understands them.

I have been accused of having an English Accent on more than one occasion.

As hang over of my speech therapy I do not use contractions when I speak. I say 'do not' instead of 'don't', cannot, instead of 'can't' and I refrain from using 'yep' 'yeppers', 'yeah' - I always say 'yes'.

I steer clear of the word permanent - I pronounce it something along the lines of permamemnt (I have trouble with the n's). There are a few other tricky words for me.

Because I'm mindful of my instabilities in speech, my speech pattern is 'stilted', too proper on most occasions.

The accent that does it for me is a Hebrew accent... Hebrew, the language of Love. :tongue: