Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pop psychology question
there used to be a theory that an overly domineering mother and an absent father would create a homosexual child for whatever psychiatric reason.

blame sigmund freud, not me. I'm not saying it's correct.

what do ya'll think?

That supports the theory that sexuality comes from how one is raised and/or how they interact with society. I completely disagree. I believe it has to do with how you are born, before anyone has a hand in raising you.

Doesn't explain why siblings may have different sexual identities. My brother totally straight, me not.

I did have a domineering mother and, not an absent father, but a passive one, but I don't think that is the reason I'm gay. As naitsirc said, my brother is straight (and stupid, unpleasant, not to say moronic, unlike me, but that's another story) so that kind of negates the theory.

Like the others, I also have a straight brother. To further disprove the theory, my father is domineering and my mother is passive. I should be 100% straight according to this theory. Too bad I happen to like dicks.

Sounds like a silly idea that could only be born in the ivory tower, and a good example of why people in the real world roll their eyes at academics in the ivory tower who live a life insulated from reality.

I'm not saying people in the ivory tower are all clueless, I think a great many of them are familiar with the real world and will call BS on those who aren't. But there is a sizable minority who have had severely limited life experiences and instead of expanding their experience they throw themselves into their studies which gives them (rightly or wrongly) respectability as an authority and expert, and then they take all their academics studies and filter it through their too limited life and thus come up with mind boggling idiotic theories like that, get published, and then other people end up quoting them trying to sound smart (in this specific case someone who doesn't know anyone gay--as far as he knows--then quotes this idiocy trying to sound smart). And it's agitated in that these skewed theories are often very simple (as in this case) and thus easier for the pseudo-intellectual to grasp and repeat whereas those academics firmly grounded in the real world are far too complicated with many shades of gray and are thus discounted by people who aren't anywhere as smart as they pretend to be.

Computer says no

Krupt Wrote:I had an absent father, a strong but not domineering mother (Had to be strong, not many women in the 1970's paying a mortgage and working 2 jobs while raising 2 sons back then). My younger brother is a skirt chaser.

There is absolutely no theory in this world by the greatest scientist or top psych doctors that can disprove, debunk or change the fact that I know that I was 'naturally' born gay.

I can't confirm if it is biology, genetics, hormones or whatever, as I am not a scientist and my give-a-shitometer is still sitting on NULL.

I am who I am and I am led by my instincts and I have not at any point questioned that fact that I was born gay because it fits me.

But without people like Kinsey, there would be no discussion on these matters and no desire to discover the truth.

All of the above. My momma is a tough bitch and a complete love and had 4 boys. one who is a homo... I'm not sure what one that could be and all my other brothers have girlfriends. SOOOOOOOOOO maybe being a single mother gives you a 1/4 chance lolol

BUH what about dykes how are they made?

I grew up with two parents and I've always known I have been gay. For some people it takes a bit of discovery with others you just know i don't think it matters about how you were raised.

Quote:I can't confirm if it is biology, genetics, hormones or whatever, as I am not a scientist and my give-a-shitometer is still sitting on NULL.

I am who I am and I am led by my instincts and I have not at any point questioned that fact that I was born gay because it fits me.

I spent too many years on theory. Life is too short. I say live it or live with it. But I'll concede that in the younger years it may be natural to "read up" on it.