Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Drag Show! (+ a tad bit of social anxiety)
So I just got back from attending a drag show, first one I've ever been too. There were flyers around my little college town for it so I decided to go. I don't have anyone who I feel comfortable asking to go with me, so I went alone. I did run into my former boss though, which was nice/slightly awkward. She let me sit with her up front, but the speakers were killing my eardrums.

The show was great. The performers were a hoot with a great deal of variety. It was held in a small little theater with a big porch area and it was PACKED! So many people. There was a lot of mingling and a lot of drinking (also, lot's of rainbows. I wore my rainbow belt!). It's truly a great thing to be in a place where you know everyone's super cool and like-minded.

But here's where I wanna get your folks' feedback:

I used to avoid things like that like the plague. I never went to a single high school function and have always made excuses to stay away from any sort of party. I'm not completely anti-social. I love hanging out with small groups of friends, the big crowd thing just really intimidates me. But I'm trying to make some positive changes in my life. Parties and events can be great places to meet new people... I've been told. But I genuinely don't know how to do that. When I try to "mingle," I just end up wandering aimlessly for ten minutes and end up sitting in a corner because I don't want to seem creepy.

I'm past the point in my life (some days at least) where I blame my "aloneness" on other people. There seemed to be a lot of really nice, really cool folks there, but I don't know if it's rude to just walk up to a stranger and start talking, or how, especially when everyone's talking to someone else, you know what I mean?

Overall, I had a good time just being a fly on the wall, as it were. But I'm bummed that I left there without meeting any new people. Any advice? (Also, is it weird to go to something like that by yourself in the first place?)

TL;DR: Don't be a lazy jerk, just read the fucking post.

Messages In This Thread
First Drag Show! (+ a tad bit of social anxiety) - by Wade - 08-23-2014, 07:25 AM
First Drag Show! (+ a tad bit of social anxiety) - by Keith - 08-23-2014, 10:33 AM
First Drag Show! (+ a tad bit of social anxiety) - by East - 08-23-2014, 11:56 AM
First Drag Show! (+ a tad bit of social anxiety) - by Wade - 08-23-2014, 05:58 PM