Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To the Atheists w/ a Religious Past : That Nostalgic Feeling
Pacific Wrote:Somewhat similarly, I converted from Christianity to atheism around the same age as you (probably 22 or 23), which I would have never imagined years before. I think a lot of it had to do with, as you put it, learning more about the world and people and all that entails. It was as if my mind couldn't "believe" anymore, even if I wanted it to; which brings me to my next point--I wasn't sure I wanted to believe anymore.

You talk about being nostalgic. There have been times when I've felt sentimental feelings when having a conversation with someone from my past; however, I realize it is probably nostalgia over the connections with the people, not necessarily the religion. You mentioned you feel nostalgia when thinking about the activities and people, but I noticed you didn't really say you felt nostalgic about the sermons or other strictly religious activity. Obviously, good or bad, this place is forever part of your past and helped shape who you are today and it will forever be a part of you.

Wavey Hello Pacific,

Thank you for responding to my thread. It's interesting to see people who share similar experiences. My college education really did open my mind. I do find it amusing that Christians vehemently advise fellow followers to avoid the "things of this world." And now I'm like . . . the world is not inherently evil, and it has its upsides. And once you know that, it's hard to believe in god anymore.

Oh wow. Those conversation must have been awkward. :eek: I wonder how that was for you. If I see anyone from my old church days, I'm hitting the deck. I am gone pecan. I will disappear like a ninja. There really isn't a good reason why I should interact with them anymore. But I do remember how lovely our conversations would be.

I don't have any particular attachments to the sermons themselves. Honestly, I think it's about that feeling of being part of a close community that enticed everyone in the first place. Not so much God himself.

Yes, this past of mine will always be a part of me.

Messages In This Thread
To the Atheists w/ a Religious Past : That Nostalgic Feeling - by Sherman8D - 02-08-2017, 12:18 AM
To the Atheists w/ a Religious Past : That Nostalgic Feeling - by princealbertofb - 02-22-2017, 02:39 PM