Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To the Atheists w/ a Religious Past : That Nostalgic Feeling
Wavey Hello [MENTION=21783]ShiftyNJ[/MENTION]

Thank you for replying. Yeah, church youth-groups are really memorable experiences; I still keep some church retreat souvenirs in my memory box. Had I chose to expose myself there, I would have followed the path of anger too. Though I was always aware of hypocrisy in churches, which also added another reason to leave my church altogether. Sorry, you had to go through all that. But it looks like you are in a better place. I always forget that there are various forms of the same belief. I suppose Jesus Christ was my framework to live too, but I just do my own thing now. I think first of "what is," "why," "where," "when," "how" before I think of "what should be." I'll look into that society. Thanks Smile

I wonder, how was it when you transitioned to a belief system different from what you were always used to?

Wavey Hello [MENTION=14205]drobs[/MENTION]

My brother has recently been involved with religion and he plays Klove radio station in the car. So I am constantly bombarded with Christian songs. I tune it out, but the songs are soo catchy that I sometimes whisper a lyric or two lol. I only pray if something really bad happens, and my mom needs that emotional/spiritual support despite knowing that I do not believe in any god. And lol I think every believer at one point has prayed to be filthy rich.

Wow, it sounds like you did the whole nine yards. It must really suck to be outed. I never experienced that dreadful situation. Then again that's probably because I have always eliminated romantic distractions (both straight and gay) in order to do well in school; in those times, I merely focused on my friendships. I agree that time really does help.

Err.. I'm very confused when you say that you are leaning towards atheist, but still believe in a God. Sounds closer to agnosticism if you ask me.

I'm sorry that you and your mom is going through that sickly ordeal. But I am glad that she was able to accept you for who you are. . . I wonder. If my mother accepts me and still loves me, will she change her beliefs for me? Or will she overtly or covertly suffer for me?

Wavey Hello [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION]

For the most part, yes, my sexuality was a catalyst in the questioning of my church/religion. But the seeds of doubt were planted in me much earlier when I took a psychology and a sociology class in highschool. Something about those subjects really opened my mind. If I was straight, I think I would have ended up still believing in God. Not that it matters anymore.

Messages In This Thread
To the Atheists w/ a Religious Past : That Nostalgic Feeling - by Sherman8D - 02-18-2017, 03:26 AM
To the Atheists w/ a Religious Past : That Nostalgic Feeling - by princealbertofb - 02-22-2017, 02:39 PM