Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
25yo and need advice from from those of you who HAVE turned your lives around...
Jay, wow! I never would have guessed you were over 300 lbs at one time. Good job getting healthy, dude! Biggthumpup

A lot of people don't believe me, but I was around 220 lbs out of high school....I'm about 170 now. I plan on keeping it that way. Like LateBloomer said, change what you can, accept and let go of what you can't.

I have a tendency to beat up on myself too, and I know that's the problem. I have a decent job, a roof over my head, my health, etc. I've never really been in a REAL long-term relationship but I've had a few short lived ones, and I appreciate what they've taught me. I get lonely a bit sometimes, but I do remember I do have a few good friends who care about me. It's a struggle sometimes, but it's one worth fighting for.

I tend to do better when I just do things (go with the flow, or "going at the speed of life", as I like to say) and get out of my own head. The folks saying don't go overboard with the negative thinking are pointing down the right path.

You might not strike gold in the romance department at every turn, but if you keep trying (with realistic, not distorted/negative, expectations) you might be surprised with what you get. There's a Youtube clip in which comedian Patton Oswalt talks about how he used to worship Edgar Allen Poe until he read his complete works, at which point Oswalt concludes that 95% of it was bad. But because Poe wrote all the time, he wound up with gold nuggets like The Raven. The take-home point? Keeping being yourself out in that big wide world of ours, and that 5% will find you and appreciate you for who you are.

Messages In This Thread
25yo and need advice from from those of you who HAVE turned your lives around... - by Drew - 01-16-2012, 03:03 AM