Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitness to teach should I declare my past ?
Hey guys,

I would like some advice regarding an issue in my past which may effect my career as a teacher. Well I got offered a place at one of the best universities in the UK to do a teaching course to be a biology teacher but I am faced with a bit of a dilemma. Basically I have to complete a medical assessment / physical which is no problem but I also have to undergo a mental health type quiz assessment in order to see If I am fit to teach. Well as most of you know I used to have a history of self harm and depression and yeah although I have slipped up in the past I would like to think I'm somewhat better than what I was. I'm sure there will be a question asked or a few questions about this in the assessment or interview and if I were to answer truthfully I don't know if this might scupper my chances and mean I am unfit to teach. I'm just wondering if I should just tell a white lie and just say "nope no history of depression", mmmm I'm at odds what to do. Can anyone else offer me some advice or has anyone been in a similar situation?

I haven't been in a situation like this.. But I do remember being 7-8 and then again at 11 - 12 where I was given some odd test type things that asked those sorts of questions... And well...

They are not asking you these questions because they want to pillow talk about your life. It's a fill in the bubble so we can assess your liability to our institution. I would answer 'no' to these questions. I think they are set up to catch dumb-idiots who have no self-realization and to prevent them from harming someone/snapping.

The questions are often laugh out loud, blatant, and stupid. Do what you need to do to get the job. The only reason I could think to answer with an honest 'yes' to these questions and to throw up a red flag is if you feel you actually need attention in your life brought to this. If you have not come to grips with yourself, still struggling with evil, whatever, etc... then maybe you DO need help and are not ready for that kind of environment.

But that doesn't sound like you, you're here asking these questions.. and that's a tell that you are thoughtful enough that none of those questions really mean anything.

It depends if they have access to your medical records or not. If they don't, I'd bet on the safe side and lie. Although, I'd check with a teacher's union or with a confidential guidance councillor to see if there are any legal restrictions to prevent you from teaching if you have a history of depression. I'd suspect that discrimination based on a history of depression is not legal, so it shouldn't negatively effect your chances if you tell the truth.

the interview questions are to release the school from legal action if you cause harm. So I am assuming you are not planning any felony related activity. Accept your an average person, give your self a chance.

You do not have the clinical knowledge to speak authoritatively on your past activity, so to the best of your knowledge...

instances of self harm reduce with with age.

Difficult to discriminate against someone because they had depression. Very easy to get rid of someone because they lied.

Just my tuppence worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Straight up, no bullshit, lying could cost you your job before it starts or come back to slap you down the track

if you admit your faults they could become public, accepted as true and hurt you later in life. Accept your an average person, give your self a starting chance.

hello Mr K,
Be honest and upfront about things and dont be ashamed... If they ask questions about self harm answer them truthfully and tell them that despite doing self harm in the past... If a student was to be in the predicament that you was in you would understand as an ex self harmer what it is like to be in a horrible place and why people self harm... Remember that if they ask questions about getting over it and how you achieved this then be honest and admit to them u admitted to yourself u had a problem and then found somewhere to confide in with regards to it

Kinsdest regards

zeon x

I would say tell the truth, that way you do not have to worry about it sneaking out.

I think its key in life to portray your weaknesses as your strengths. Though if you can do that, were they really weaknesses? I also believe there is a positive and a negative side to everything and all you need to do is portray what you say in a positive way.

Don't lie unless it's necessary and even then you don’t have to lie. The fact that you a pre-thinking this before hand, you are able to choose your words carefully. People mostly hear what they want and if you’re not too far off what they want to hear they will accept it.

I highly doubt it, but if it’s a closed question you’d be taking a gamble with answering with yes. On the other hand, if it’s an open question you can simply explain your ordeal in a way which makes you look like the perfect candidate. As Zeon mentioned, you have experienced of having depression and cutting, something a lot of people go through with no one to talk about it with. In other words, be confident about your depression. Let them know that your depression was an insignificant phase which you conquered.

Either way, I’d say be truthful. Good luck, I hope you get on the course.