Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Truth About drugs
Hello All,
I was out in the pub tonight and came accross two people totally drugg fucked and decided to take a leaflet on drugs because they ended their night visiting hospital with cracked heads after falling out of a pub and face planting the pavement... I noticed their pupils was massive and thought to myself.... How can someone find this... Fun??

So here goes for anyone seeking advice about drugs

Introduction

Drugs have been part of our culture since the middle of the last century. Popularized in the 1960's by music and mass media, they invade all aspects of society. An estimated 208 millioin people worldwide consume illegal drugs according to a 2005 survey of 16 - 29 year olds 25.3% in England had used drugs in the past year. In wales this statistic was 18.9% and scotland it was 17%. You probably know someone who has been affected by drugs, directly or indirectly.

The alcohol related deaths rate in the UK continued to increase in 2006 from 12.9 deaths per 100k pop in 2005 to 13.4 in 2006. The most commonly used illegal drugs is Mariguana. According to the united nations 2008 world drug report about 3.9% of the worlds populations between 15 and 64 abuse Marijuana. Young people today are exposed to earlier than ever to drugs. A survey done on 11 - 15 year olds in the UK found that 26% had consumed alcohol in the past week with the average amount being 12.7 units (7 bottles of crabbies almost or 10 pints).

In europe, recent studies among 15&16 year olds suggest that use of marijuanbana varies from under 10% to 40%+ (highest rate in Czech Republic followed by Ireland UK France. In Spain and the UK cocaine use amongst 15 & 16 year olds is 4 - 6%. Cocaine use among young people has risen in Denmark italy spain UK norway and france. One person we spoke to gave the following statement

"My goal in life wasnt living... It was getting high. Over the years I turned to cocaine Marijuanana and alcoholic under a false belief it would allow me to escape my problems. It just made things worse. I kept saying to myself im going to stop permanently after using one last time... It never happenned. It started with the weed, then pills and acid making cocktails of all sorts of drugs even OD to make the rushes last longer. I had a bad trip one night, I prayed and cried for this feeling to go away, I had voices in my head, had the shakes and couldnt leave home for six months. I thought everyone was watching me. I couldnt walk in public places. I couldnt even drive! I ended up homeless and on the streets, living and sleeping in a box begging and struggling to find ways to get my next meal."

Why do people take drugs?

People take drugs because they want to change something about their lives. Here are some of the reasons young people have given for taking drugs...
  • To fit in
  • To escape or relax
  • To relieve Bordeom
  • To appear grown up
  • To rebel
  • To experiement
They think drugs are a solution but eventually the drugs become the problem. Difficult as it may be to face problems the consequences of drug use are always worse than the problem one is trying to solve with them. The real answer is to get the facts and not take drugs in the first place.

How do drugs work?

Drugs are essentially poisons. The amount taken determines the effect. A small amount acts as a stimulant whereas a greater amount acts as a sedatives and a larger amount kills you. This is true of any drug. Only the amount needed to achieve the effect differs, but many drugs have another liability: they directly affect the mind. They can distort the users perception of what is happenning around him or her as a result the person may be odd, irrational, inappropriate and even destructive!

Drugs block off all sensations the desirable ones with the unwanted. So while providing short term help in the relief of pain they also wipe out ability and alertness and muddy ones thinking.

Medicines are drugs that are designed to speed up or slow down or change something about the way your body is working for the better. Sometimes they are necessary, but they are still drugs: they act as a stimulant and too much can cause death so mis using medical drugs can be as lethal as illegal drugs.

Drugs affect the mind

Normally when someone remembers something the mind is fast and information comes quickly but drugs blur memoruy causing blank spots. When a person tries to get info through this cloudy mess (s)/he cant do it. Drugs make a person feel slow or stupid and cause failures to occur in life. As failures occur and life gets harder the user wants more drugs to help deal with the problem.

One lie told about drugs is that they help creatitivity the truth is different.. Someone who is sad might use drugs to get a feeling of happiness, but it doesnt work. Drugs lift a person into a fake kind of cheerfulness, but when the drug wears off he or she crashes even lower than before & each time the emotional plunge is lower and lower. Eventually all creativity is destroyed.

"During the whole time i was on drugs i thought i had control over my life and i had it great. But i destroyed everything i had and fought for my entire life. I cut ties with friends and family so i ended up alone except for my drug friends. Everyday revovoled around one thing. My plan for getting money i needed to fund my habit i would do everytyhing possible to get my amphetamine."

Facts about drugs

MARIJUANA

Marijuanan is usually rolled up in a cigarette and called a joint. It can also be brewed as a tea or mixed with food or smoked through a water pipe known as a bong. A 2007 report found that cannibis was the most reported illlegal drug used by 13% of people between 16 and 25.

This is often more potent today thanb it used to be. Growing and selective use of seeds have produced a more powerful drug. As a result, theres been a sharp increase in the numbers of patients admitted to A&E. Because a tolerance builds up Marijuana can lead users to consume stronger drugs to achieve the same high. When the effects wear odff the person may turn to more potentn drugs to rid the unwanted conditions. This drug does not lead users to other drugs: people take other drugs to rid of unwanted situations or feelings. The drugs masks a problem for a time. When the high fades the problem unwanted condition or situation returns more intensely than before.

Short term effects: loss of coordination and distortions in sense of time vision and hearing, sleepiness, redding of the eyes increased appetite and relaxed muscles. Heart rate increases and first time users have a 5x more chance of suffer heart attacks than other users. School/work performance is reduced through impaired memory and lessened abilityn to solve problems.

Long term use can cause psychotic symptoms. It can also damage the lungs and heart, worsen the symptoms of bronchitis and cause coughing and wheezing, It can cause the bodies ability to fight illness and lung infections to fail.

Alcohol

Alcohol depresses your central nerves, lowers inhibitions and impairs judgement. Drinking large can lead to a coma and even death. Mix alcohol and medications or illegal drugs can be fatal. Alcohol influences your brain and leads to a loss of coordination, slowed relfeces distorted vision, memory lapses and blackouts..

Short term effects: Feeling of warmth, flushed skin, impaired judgement, lack of co-ordination, slurred speech, memory and comprehensdion loss. Heavy drinking usually results in a hangover, headache, nausea, anxiety weakness, shakiness and sometimes vomit.

Long term effects: Tolerance to unpleasent effects of alcohol results in the ability to drink more. This leads to a deteriorating physical condition that can include liver damage and increases the risk of heart disease. Pregant women may give birth to babies with defects that affect the babies heart, brain and other major organs. A person could become dependant on alcohol. If sudden stoppage occurs withdrawal symptoms may set in. They range from jumpiness, sleeplessness, sweating and poor appetitie to convulsions and sometimes death. Alcohol abuse can lead to violence and conflicts in relationships.

Ectasy

Ecstasy is usually taken orally in a pill. Taking more than 1 at a time is known as bumping. Esctasy is a man made drug in a laboratory. Makers add anything they choose to the drug such as caffeine, amphetamine and even cocaine. It is illegal and has effects similar to hallucinogens and stimulants. The pills are different colours and are sometimes marked with cartoon like images. Mixing with alcohol can be leathal. The stimulative effects of drugts such as ecstasy enable the user to dance for long periods and with combined with hot crowded conditions found at raves can lead to extremem dehydration and organ failure.

Short term effects include
Impaired judgement, false sense of affection, confusion, Depression, Sleep problems, Severe anxiety, paraonoia, drug craving, muscle tension involuntary teeth clunchying nausea, blurred vision, faintness, chills or sweating.

Long term use causes long lasting and prehaps perminant damamge to the brain affecting the persons judgement and ability

"Ecstasy made me crazy. One night i bit a glass just like i would an apple. I had to have my mouth full of glass to realise what was happenning. Another time i tore rags with my teeth for an hour"

Cocaine

Cocaine can be taken orally through the nose or injected. It is made from the cocoa plant and next to methamphetamine creates the greatest psychological dependant of any drug. Short term effects cause an intense high followed by feelings of depression and edginess and a craving for more of the drug. People use it often dont sleep or eat properly. They could experience greatly increased heart rate, muscle spasms and convulsions. The drug can make people angry, hostile and anxious even when not high.

For more info or to obtain a booklet with more information on drugs and how they affect or to obtain various please contact [email protected] or visit www.drugfreeworld.org or call

+1-818-952-5260 - US or 020 3286 6855 or write to

Foundatrion for a drug free world
1626 N. Wilcox Avenue,
Los Angeles,
CA
USA

86 Hurst farm road
East grinstead
RH19 4DH
England

I as an agony aunt dont condone drugs however it is a members choice whether they choose to seek help if wishing to get off them but as there are many more such as LSD, HEROIN, INHALANTSCRYSTAL METH AND METHAMPHETAMINE i wont write it all out here unless requested info...

If any members know anyone on drugs or alcohol in a misuse sense why not recommend maybe they visit the site with a potential view to obtaining their life and their freedom instead of denying them something they deserve... A life

Kindest regards

Aunty Zeon

I don't do drugs now, even alcohol is very rare for me (my partner drinks a lot--well not anywhere as much as my 'rents did/do, but it seems a lot to me--and I don't because I don't like it) but I never like it when a site promotes the worst possibilities as if they were the normal consequences.

Maybe later I'll share when I experimented (why I did it, why it can be fun, and why I later decided to be drug free), but for now I'd like to say I knew about a score of people who did E quite a bit (and I tried it a handful of times myself) and went to free parties (some that lasted DAYS) where presumably hundreds were using it (and other drugs) and I didn't know anyone to eat glass or rags. And I could say similar things about all the other drugs described, too (even alcohol).

I'm going to try to find a better drug info site later as I know they exist because I used to reference them back when I experimented. They warned of the real dangers (including worst case scenarios as above) but they stayed real without going way over the top.

And that's a lot better, IMO, because I know I was raised on drug propaganda like the above (and worse actually), as well as exposed to contradictions that I could see through even as a kid (for example, my class was taught how drugs virtually always destroyed all motivation, caused grades to plummet to Fs, and even showed a vid where a guy using drugs even got out of his car and let it keep going without a driver but then the 2 teachers were stunned--and I was sent to the office without an answer--when I asked why students had to show up as clean in a drug test before they were allowed on the honor roll) and really stupid ads (like a commercial of surgeons about to operate while smoking pot--[sarcasm]because everyone knows that if pot was legal then surgeons would be getting high right before surgery[/sarcasm]--with saying, "Still think marijuana should be legal?" while ignoring that it would make as much sense for the doctors to be guzzling Jack Daniels and stumbling around as they prepped and ask, "Still think alcohol should be legal?"), and the end result is that we started to ignore the warnings and lose respect for the ones teaching us this. It's like the boy who cried wolf when there was no wolf who was no longer believed when the wolf was real, those who tried to scare us from ever trying drugs were ignored even when the dangers they talked about were real because they lost credibility by getting so ridiculous and acting as if the worst case scenario was normal when we knew better through previous exposure (if not experience) and even simply just thinking about it. That's why I don't support "drug facts" like that, because for many of us it's counterproductive and the real dangers get ignored with the false (or at least highly unlikely) ones.

Just to be clear, I know it CAN get as bad as those examples show, but that's not normal. I think all that was shared should be shared, it just needs to be more balanced and level so that it's credible to more people, not just the sheltered and those who do hit rock bottom.

Oh, yes, just to nitpick I'd like to point out that my granny once told me, "You didn't invent sex, you didn't invent drugs, you didn't invent partying, you didn't invent rock and roll or whatever it is you listen to." Recreational drug use (including of narcotics and hallucinogens) has been around since before recorded history, and were popular in the USA (and I suspect the same is true of the UK) since at least the late 19th century (and probably always). I've also listened to people tell me how they got into hard drugs while fighting in Vietnam rather than trying to "turn on, tune in, and drop out." That is to say it was a lot more than "drugs were glamorized by the mass media in the 60s." Just saying. Hope I'm not being too pedantic. Wink

Normally, my motto is to live and let live. As long as what someone does in their personal life doesn't directly affect me negatively, I could care less what they do. I'd be a right hypocrite to stick my nose in otherwise.

I've been known to smoke marijuana here and there. I don't believe its any worse for you than alcohol and think the ban on it is silly and outdated. I smoke tobacco cigarettes heavily, and want to quit on a mental level, but enjoy them too much to totally commit. I also don't know what I would do without my hookah and wide selection of shisha (yum yum :biggrin: )

However, I am completely against the harder drugs, such as meth, cocaine and especially heroin. I've seen far too many lives destroyed by these drugs, too many families who have suffered because one of their members was addicted. I've even lost a close friend due to the drug. Yes, I'm addicted to nicotine...but it doesn't make a complete slave out of me...I don't have to resort to stealing from my mother or blowing nasty pervs on the street to get my fix. It saddens me deeply to see people reduced to that because of drugs.

Yes, the propaganda can be annoying and preachy...but if one person can turn their life around and get the help they need because of it...doesn't that make it worthwhile?

It would be even more worthwhile if even more people got the message because the message wasn't presented in such a bad way that cost it credibility.

Pix Wrote:It would be even more worthwhile if even more people got the message because the message wasn't presented in such a bad way that cost it credibility.

Of course they would, I'm not totally defending the ads. I think 95% of them are about as factual as The Fox News network.

However, there's no accounting for what may be the trigger to send someone a wake up call. Again, I'm not advocating these ads as gospel truth...but what you and I may find silly and trite may be the very thing someone else needs to snap them out of it

Hope I'm making sense here...feel like I'm floundering Confusedmile:

Their list makes it appear to be immaturity in the drug user.

To fit in
To escape or relax
To relieve Bordeom
To appear grown up
To rebel
To experiement

The real truth is that people use/do drugs to self medicate other, deeper, real issues.

As Example: I drank heavily in summer and used meth and other stimulants in winter. Drinking helped to bring me down from my SAD hypomania in summer and meth/uppers helped to bring up up from SAD depression in winter.

Uppers are a great cure of introverts - in a society that all but burns introverts at the stake, we as a society has created an issue where none should exist.

Many if not most people who go into programs of recovery soon discover that much of their problem is not so much the drugs/alcohol, but issues they couldn't cope with and didn't deal with in a healthy fashion. They used to get away from those problems, be it depression, child abuse, trauma, whatever.

The other side to the coin of the sterotype junkie is the much larger and never discussed population of functioning addicts. People can go for decades, even for life, being 'weekend warriors' using drugs on weekends or day to day and they still hold together their life, maintain a job, raise kids, etc. I know of several people who use strong drugs like heroin, meth and the like on a regular basis and they are not only functioning but excelling in their lives. I'm talking 40-50 year olds who were doing drugs way back before I started sticking a needle in my arm.

How can we take these 'warnings' seriously if they don't address the subject truthfully?

zeon Wrote:Hello All,
I was out in the pub tonight and came accross two people totally drugg fucked and decided to take a leaflet on drugs because they ended their night visiting hospital with cracked heads after falling out of a pub and face planting the pavement... I noticed their pupils was massive and thought to myself.... How can someone find this... Fun??

So here goes for anyone seeking advice about drugs

Introduction

Drugs have been part of our culture since the middle of the last century. Popularized in the 1960's by music and mass media, they invade all aspects of society. An estimated 208 millioin people worldwide consume illegal drugs according to a 2005 survey of 16 - 29 year olds 25.3% in England had used drugs in the past year. In wales this statistic was 18.9% and scotland it was 17%. You probably know someone who has been affected by drugs, directly or indirectly.

The alcohol related deaths rate in the UK continued to increase in 2006 from 12.9 deaths per 100k pop in 2005 to 13.4 in 2006. The most commonly used illegal drugs is Mariguana. According to the united nations 2008 world drug report about 3.9% of the worlds populations between 15 and 64 abuse Marijuana. Young people today are exposed to earlier than ever to drugs. A survey done on 11 - 15 year olds in the UK found that 26% had consumed alcohol in the past week with the average amount being 12.7 units (7 bottles of crabbies almost or 10 pints).

In europe, recent studies among 15&16 year olds suggest that use of marijuanbana varies from under 10% to 40%+ (highest rate in Czech Republic followed by Ireland UK France. In Spain and the UK cocaine use amongst 15 & 16 year olds is 4 - 6%. Cocaine use among young people has risen in Denmark italy spain UK norway and france. One person we spoke to gave the following statement

"My goal in life wasnt living... It was getting high. Over the years I turned to cocaine Marijuanana and alcoholic under a false belief it would allow me to escape my problems. It just made things worse. I kept saying to myself im going to stop permanently after using one last time... It never happenned. It started with the weed, then pills and acid making cocktails of all sorts of drugs even OD to make the rushes last longer. I had a bad trip one night, I prayed and cried for this feeling to go away, I had voices in my head, had the shakes and couldnt leave home for six months. I thought everyone was watching me. I couldnt walk in public places. I couldnt even drive! I ended up homeless and on the streets, living and sleeping in a box begging and struggling to find ways to get my next meal."

Why do people take drugs?

People take drugs because they want to change something about their lives. Here are some of the reasons young people have given for taking drugs...
  • To fit in
  • To escape or relax
  • To relieve Bordeom
  • To appear grown up
  • To rebel
  • To experiement
They think drugs are a solution but eventually the drugs become the problem. Difficult as it may be to face problems the consequences of drug use are always worse than the problem one is trying to solve with them. The real answer is to get the facts and not take drugs in the first place.

How do drugs work?

Drugs are essentially poisons. The amount taken determines the effect. A small amount acts as a stimulant whereas a greater amount acts as a sedatives and a larger amount kills you. This is true of any drug. Only the amount needed to achieve the effect differs, but many drugs have another liability: they directly affect the mind. They can distort the users perception of what is happenning around him or her as a result the person may be odd, irrational, inappropriate and even destructive!

Drugs block off all sensations the desirable ones with the unwanted. So while providing short term help in the relief of pain they also wipe out ability and alertness and muddy ones thinking.

Medicines are drugs that are designed to speed up or slow down or change something about the way your body is working for the better. Sometimes they are necessary, but they are still drugs: they act as a stimulant and too much can cause death so mis using medical drugs can be as lethal as illegal drugs.

Drugs affect the mind

Normally when someone remembers something the mind is fast and information comes quickly but drugs blur memoruy causing blank spots. When a person tries to get info through this cloudy mess (s)/he cant do it. Drugs make a person feel slow or stupid and cause failures to occur in life. As failures occur and life gets harder the user wants more drugs to help deal with the problem.

One lie told about drugs is that they help creatitivity the truth is different.. Someone who is sad might use drugs to get a feeling of happiness, but it doesnt work. Drugs lift a person into a fake kind of cheerfulness, but when the drug wears off he or she crashes even lower than before & each time the emotional plunge is lower and lower. Eventually all creativity is destroyed.

"During the whole time i was on drugs i thought i had control over my life and i had it great. But i destroyed everything i had and fought for my entire life. I cut ties with friends and family so i ended up alone except for my drug friends. Everyday revovoled around one thing. My plan for getting money i needed to fund my habit i would do everytyhing possible to get my amphetamine."

Facts about drugs

MARIJUANA

Marijuanan is usually rolled up in a cigarette and called a joint. It can also be brewed as a tea or mixed with food or smoked through a water pipe known as a bong. A 2007 report found that cannibis was the most reported illlegal drug used by 13% of people between 16 and 25.

This is often more potent today thanb it used to be. Growing and selective use of seeds have produced a more powerful drug. As a result, theres been a sharp increase in the numbers of patients admitted to A&E. Because a tolerance builds up Marijuana can lead users to consume stronger drugs to achieve the same high. When the effects wear odff the person may turn to more potentn drugs to rid the unwanted conditions. This drug does not lead users to other drugs: people take other drugs to rid of unwanted situations or feelings. The drugs masks a problem for a time. When the high fades the problem unwanted condition or situation returns more intensely than before.

Short term effects: loss of coordination and distortions in sense of time vision and hearing, sleepiness, redding of the eyes increased appetite and relaxed muscles. Heart rate increases and first time users have a 5x more chance of suffer heart attacks than other users. School/work performance is reduced through impaired memory and lessened abilityn to solve problems.

Long term use can cause psychotic symptoms. It can also damage the lungs and heart, worsen the symptoms of bronchitis and cause coughing and wheezing, It can cause the bodies ability to fight illness and lung infections to fail.

Alcohol

Alcohol depresses your central nerves, lowers inhibitions and impairs judgement. Drinking large can lead to a coma and even death. Mix alcohol and medications or illegal drugs can be fatal. Alcohol influences your brain and leads to a loss of coordination, slowed relfeces distorted vision, memory lapses and blackouts..

Short term effects: Feeling of warmth, flushed skin, impaired judgement, lack of co-ordination, slurred speech, memory and comprehensdion loss. Heavy drinking usually results in a hangover, headache, nausea, anxiety weakness, shakiness and sometimes vomit.

Long term effects: Tolerance to unpleasent effects of alcohol results in the ability to drink more. This leads to a deteriorating physical condition that can include liver damage and increases the risk of heart disease. Pregant women may give birth to babies with defects that affect the babies heart, brain and other major organs. A person could become dependant on alcohol. If sudden stoppage occurs withdrawal symptoms may set in. They range from jumpiness, sleeplessness, sweating and poor appetitie to convulsions and sometimes death. Alcohol abuse can lead to violence and conflicts in relationships.

Ectasy

Ecstasy is usually taken orally in a pill. Taking more than 1 at a time is known as bumping. Esctasy is a man made drug in a laboratory. Makers add anything they choose to the drug such as caffeine, amphetamine and even cocaine. It is illegal and has effects similar to hallucinogens and stimulants. The pills are different colours and are sometimes marked with cartoon like images. Mixing with alcohol can be leathal. The stimulative effects of drugts such as ecstasy enable the user to dance for long periods and with combined with hot crowded conditions found at raves can lead to extremem dehydration and organ failure.

Short term effects include
Impaired judgement, false sense of affection, confusion, Depression, Sleep problems, Severe anxiety, paraonoia, drug craving, muscle tension involuntary teeth clunchying nausea, blurred vision, faintness, chills or sweating.

Long term use causes long lasting and prehaps perminant damamge to the brain affecting the persons judgement and ability

"Ecstasy made me crazy. One night i bit a glass just like i would an apple. I had to have my mouth full of glass to realise what was happenning. Another time i tore rags with my teeth for an hour"

Cocaine

Cocaine can be taken orally through the nose or injected. It is made from the cocoa plant and next to methamphetamine creates the greatest psychological dependant of any drug. Short term effects cause an intense high followed by feelings of depression and edginess and a craving for more of the drug. People use it often dont sleep or eat properly. They could experience greatly increased heart rate, muscle spasms and convulsions. The drug can make people angry, hostile and anxious even when not high.

For more info or to obtain a booklet with more information on drugs and how they affect or to obtain various please contact [email protected] or visit www.drugfreeworld.org or call

+1-818-952-5260 - US or 020 3286 6855 or write to

Foundatrion for a drug free world
1626 N. Wilcox Avenue,
Los Angeles,
CA
USA

86 Hurst farm road
East grinstead
RH19 4DH
England

I as an agony aunt dont condone drugs however it is a members choice whether they choose to seek help if wishing to get off them but as there are many more such as LSD, HEROIN, INHALANTSCRYSTAL METH AND METHAMPHETAMINE i wont write it all out here unless requested info...

If any members know anyone on drugs or alcohol in a misuse sense why not recommend maybe they visit the site with a potential view to obtaining their life and their freedom instead of denying them something they deserve... A life

Kindest regards

Aunty Zeon

Don't drink and haven't done any off that list, because I'm a good boy. :-)

Drugs are as old as humanity, for good or ill, there is nothing new about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Brilliant subject Aunty .
Thank you for posting it.

I will be gathering various leaflets around for advice to give to people here who seek it because I feel it will help this community understand together what is happenning when someone is in a difficult situation....

Kindest regards

Aunty Zeon x