Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homosexuality on tv
Hello everyone ^^

I recently saw an episode of Supernatrual that had a lesbian girl in it. It is the only episode so far with a gay character and guess what...she was was hanged from a windmill after five minutes of screen time, making her of course the first of the group to die.

So my question is: has any of you seen an action/adventure show with a gay char? Either they are killed off quickly or they don't make it into the shows xD the only shows with gay chars that i have seen are comedies.

I wounder how long it will take before we end up in casual commercials and perhaps as "far" as main chars in some action adventure show. Spartacus, game of thrones and true blood are the only action shows i can think of that has homosexuality in them more than most but there too are we held in the background

I don't mean to sound grumpy, just expressing my thoughts ^^

Watch Xena, while not explicit, the subtext more than compensates. Mind you, I don't know of much that involves gay male leads in an action show.

This doesn't surprise me. There are still problems with black lead actors in movies and even in children's shows there are problems with feeding off stereotypes and portraying dark characters as evil and various gender benders as eccentric. Etc. - I can't think of any shows off hand that would demolish this. But, there are a lot of great books out there that starting to diversify the presentation of the queer community.

Actually, thinking back, Willow was a very popular gay character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Although she didn't ''start off'' as gay, it eventually turned out to be one of her most important traits. Many story lines revolved around her on-screen relationship with Tara. Funny thing is, being a kid, I remember being disappointed at first when it came up that she was a lesbian! haha. In the end tho, it was player in a very clever way!

Also, Willow was one of the main 3 characters and never died Tongue (Poor Tara didnt have the same luck but was still around for a long time!).

Oh! And did I mention they were both witches? Tongue

The 5th season of Big Love starts to show lgbt in somewhat a positive light, a lesbian lady.

I enjoyed the Omar Little character in The Wire.
[Image: article-1208782-062BD846000005DC-152_468x337.jpg][Image: tumblr_m4ic3yGyBM1qzzh6g.jpg]

The Skins; Maxxie Oliver (Mitch Hewer) loves to dance. openly gay characters on British television, he is still considered "one of the lads". He is portrayed as attractive, seductive and talented, and is well accepted by his friends and peers. (wiki)
[Image: mitch-hewer-28.jpg][Image: skins-series-1-and-2.jpg]

The amazing Race, is a realtiy tv show, where contestants race around the world, some of them are Gay couples or gay friends Smile
If not Game Of Thrones, has 2 Gay Characters so far in the 2 seasons

I know a couple shows with gay characters in them. degrassi (canadian drama), modern family, and theres another but I cant think of the name at the moment.

Maxx Wrote:Also, Willow was one of the main 3 characters and never died Tongue (Poor Tara didnt have the same luck but was still around for a long time!).

Oh! And did I mention they were both witches? Tongue

But Joss seems to ALWAYS kill true love, including with killing one off (another example is Wash in the movie Serenity).

There was a gay male character as well, formerly a macho bully jerk in trying to hide his homosexuality but once he came out of the closet he became a likeable, supportive character. He was killed fighting valiantly against the Mayor turned into a giant snake on Graduation Day, however.

A really hilarious scene to me was Xander, sick of always hooking up with women who turn out to be demons (or maybe a giant praying mantis shapeshifted to look like a woman, etc) tells Willow, "What do you think happened? Another demon woman was attracted to me. I'm going gay. I've decided I'm turning gay. Willow, gay me up. Come on, let's gay." Rofl

I've seen a few crappy horror movies, basically the ones with a group of people lost in the woods with cannibals, monsters, bears, diseases, etc, that have had attractive lesbian characters in which the idiot straight male ceaselessly tries to win her over. I don't recall them always getting killed off right away, at least make it through most of the movie. I couldn't name any of these movies though I just know I've seen it a couple times.