Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movies you recommend
Lets make a list of favourite movies we recommend other members to watch. They can be old movies, movies you saw long time ago or movies that they are at the cinemas now.

Hitman
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Boys Don't cry
Finding Memo - Its for kids I know but I love it Big GrinBig Grin

Thats a few of my fav films Smile

What do you recommend?

two i've watched recently and i liked ,both comedies:

Mad money
Then she found me.

Awesome I will try and watch them sometime Smile

I have far too many to list.

But here's a small list of some of my favs (in no particular order):
Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2
Princess Mononoke
Broken Saints (more of a series, but still worth watching if you can find it)
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Titus
The Terminator
Carrie
Dogma
Death Proof
The Shining
Escaflowne: The Movie (and the series too)

* Casablanca, shot in 1942 and beautiful black and white. Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart. A classic among classics.

* A more recent English film which is just terribly cleverly written and moving: Secrets and Lies by Mike Leigh.

I use to have a top 10 list but will have to use my poor memory for some of my fav films.

Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Taxi Driver
E.T.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre I & II
Chelsea Girls
Jubilee
A Zed & Two Noughts
Jaws
In a Year of 13 Moons
Sophies Choice

I guess half would be considered independent and then the other half classic modern Hollywood but all left me with a strong impression.

Ooh lots!!

28 days later
28 weeks later
Saw II (or any of the saws, but this was the best IMO)
Final Destination I, II, III
LOTR
Hostel
Stand By Me
Misery
Pet Cemetary (sp?)
The Simpsons Movie
South Park: The Movie (Bigger, Longer & Uncut!)
Nightmare On Elm Street (original was the best)
Dogma
Shawshank Redemption
Green Mile
Carrie
All Dogs Go To Heaven
Land Before Time (the first one... I think a dozen or so were made in the end)
Dog Soldiers
Resident Evil
The Mummy / The Mummy Returns (recentish one with Brandon Fraser)
Scorpion King (The Rock is soo Hot!)

I'll stop there for now.

my favourites are:

american beauty (already a classic, and if you get past the overexposure you'll find it's a stunning movie which poses a lot of questions)

chocolat (excellent storyline and atmosphere)

cruel intentions (quite complex storyline, excellently constructed characters, great dialogue and an awesome soundtrack)

cube (the best low-budget sci-fi psychological movie ever)

dogville (if you're in the mood for a 3-hour theatre play dealing with human nature and filled with perfect performances, this is the way to go)

the emperor's new groove (best cartoon ever made, with snappy dialogues, sarcasm and witty humour, and two excellent characters that you hate at first but can't help but love in the end)

the fountain (my second favourite movie in the world, could never tire of this one; a story about a man trying to cure his wife's brain tumour while completely blind to the fact that he is missing out on the last moments he has left with her)

le fabuleux destin d'amélie poulain (my ultimate favourite movie. what can i say, it's deliciously fantastic while remaining down-to-earth in the same time. the world is magical if we make it be that way, and if we know where to look; audrey tatou is wonderful)

léon (best actors)

the matrix (this is not just a sci-fi movie, it's a statement on our own lives and touches upon really deep philosphical issues; a must!)

pleasantville (change, change, change, and don't let your life pass you by)

proteus (sad but inspiring tale about a gay relationship between two workers on a tropical island)

rat race (funniest movie ever, with an entire spectrum of brilliant performances, a ridiculous storyline and a lighthearted take on avarice)

requiem for a dream (my third favourite, a sinister story about addiction and human nature presented in a surreal way)

pocket_pilgrim Wrote:my favourites are:
American Beauty (already a classic, and if you get past the overexposure you'll find it's a stunning movie which poses a lot of questions)
Agree. Very good film, also enjoyed the acting and editing and the soundtrack.
pocket_pilgrim Wrote:Chocolat (excellent storyline and atmosphere)
Agree, fine performance by Juliette Binoche (a very talented and simply beautiful French actress. + who could not like someone who's beautiful unctuous delicacies leave your palate tingling for more?

pocket_pilgrim Wrote:Cruel Intentions (quite complex storyline, excellently constructed characters, great dialogue and an awesome soundtrack)

Now for this one, you've got to acknowledge that the very clever plot was taken from Les Liaisons Dangereuses (also filmed by Stephen Frears with John Malkovitch, Keanu Reeves, Michelle Pfeiffer, Uma Thurman and last but not least, in the role of La Merteuil, Glenn Close -- a baffling performance there again...) Well worth seeing, in the original version, as in French, where I didn't notice the dubbing: since the original text is French it went down like a dream(Choderlos de Laclos wrote the novel in the 18th century, if I'm not mistaken)

pocket_pilgrim Wrote:Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain (my ultimate favourite movie. what can i say, it's deliciously fantastic while remaining down-to-earth in the same time. the world is magical if we make it be that way, and if we know where to look; audrey tatou is wonderful)

Strangely enough, I've not seen this world-acclaimed French movie. I've been waiting till I was ready. Lol. Did you people know that un poulain is a foal?

pocket_pilgrim Wrote:The Matrix (this is not just a sci-fi movie, it's a statement on our own lives and touches upon really deep philosphical issues; a must!)

Will have to agree that the Matrix is very challenging. They got better, I think, as they unfolded, sequel after sequel, but I'm still baffled by the intensity of the depth (if I may say that) :tongue:

pocket_pilgrim Wrote:Requiem For A Dream (my third favourite, a sinister story about addiction and human nature presented in a surreal way)

A very seductive, albeit sinister, as you said, Pïlgrim, film about addiction. I bought this for 2 cents and was baffled to get such a great quality film for such a low price. I think it also puts into perspective what we, in general, call addiction. Excellent performances from Jared Leto and mostly Ellen Burnstyn (not a young actress anymore, but a bloody gifted and professional one.)Confusedmile: