Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music Tastes?
I am just curious what everyones music tastes are?

Growing up I listened to everything and when I was a certain age I really got into stuff like Rap and break dancing and stuff like that, that was old school stuff and I think that some people still do that kind of dancing.

I grew up with brothers and sisters that listened to all sorts of music as well as what my parents listened to. I was so happy that I wasn't raised down south listening to nothing but country or what not and that I had a selection. I really got to appreciate music like Led Zepplin and the Who, The Beatles, Beach Boys and stuff along those lines

I also had my big hair phase when I would listen to Poison and bands along that line and I was really into them. Then I had my Punk phase in music and then my grunge phase and my alternative music phase and dance phase when I came out of the closet and thats all that I wanted to ever listen to but when I went back in the closet the music went over to Electronic Music and stuff like that.

These days I listen to stuff all over the map and my favorite band for the moment is Modest Mouse. Here are some bands that I just happen to look on my Iphone and see what I have and curous if anyone else has listened to any of these bands:

Arcade Fire
Arctic Monkeys
Avett Brothers
Alien Ant Farm
Awolnation
Bad Religion
Bayside
Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears
Butthole Surfers
Cake
Chevelle
The Clash
Common
Daft Punk
Deadmau5
The Decemberists
The Drums
The Early November
Edward Sharp & The Magnetic Zeros
Finch
Fitz & The Tantrums
The Flaming Lips
Flogging Molly
Foo Fighters
Fun.
Fugazi
Gorillaz
Grateful Dead
Green Day
Hawthorne Heights
Hot Chip
Imagine Dragons
Janes Addiction
The Joy Formidable
Kacey Musgraves
Kid Cudi
The Killers
Kings Of Leon
Local Natives
M83
Mac Miller
Macklemore
Manchester Orchestra
Midtown
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
The Mighty Underdogs
TheMountain Goats
Ms Mr
Mumford and Sons
Noah and the whale
Of Monsters and Men
Operation Ivy
Passion Pit
Pavement
Pennywise
Phish
Primus
Punchline
Rancid
The Real McKenzies
Rise Against
Shiny Toy Guns
Silverstein
Something Corporate
The Starting Line
Sum 41
Swedish House Mafia
Switchfoot
Talking Heads
the Ting Tings
Trampled by Turtles
Trapt
Tv on the Radio
Twenty One Pilots
Vampire Weekend
Violent Femmes
Weezer
The White Stripes
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Yellowcard

Sorry I just went a little crazy and I just wanted to find bands that perhaps people haven't heard before and if you have heard most of these then I think we would get along great or you are looking for something new to check out, try one of these bands out, you might just be suprised. Well anyway what are some of your music interests and tastes?

HIya Jason,

I've always been into dance/club music. Of course, Madonna is a fave.

My fave genre is called "Freestyle". if you don't know what it is, well.....it's a mix of pop/dance and Spanish sounding stuff like salsa and merengue.

This commercial (2 minutes) for a CD set will give some classic examples.

[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

On your list The Grateful Dead and Foo Fighters I am most familiar with....

I love indie garage rock bands but I never know the name of the bands ...there is an underground type station out of Santa Cruz where that is all they play and I like listening...

My favorite is R&B/SOUL/BLUES/CLASSIC ROCK/JAZZ/some FOLK ROCK/NEW WAVE/80s ROCK...

I have four CD holders with me in my car....

The artists....

Rick James
Chaka Khan
Barry White
Ashford and Simpson
Quincy Jones
George Benson
Phyllis Hyman
Stevie Wonder
Pat Benatar
Fleetwood Mac
Diana Ross
No Doubt
Bon Jovi
Brothers Johnson
Sly & Family Stone
Elton John
Aretha Franklin
Candi Staton
The Emotions
Prince
Roberta Flack
The Beatles
Stephanie Mills
Pink Floyd
Rachelle Ferrell
The Who
Tina Turner
Pet Shop Boys
Culture Club
Led Zepplin
Billy Idol
Communards
Bette Midler
REM
Liza Minelli
Patti LaBelle
Stevie Nicks
Joe Jackson
Blue Oyster Cult
Joni Mitchell
Supertramp
Tears for Fears
Natalie Cole
Earth Wind and Fire
Patti Austin
The Fugees
Carole King
Rolling Stones
Chorus Line Soundtrack
Gladys Knight
Blue Oyster Cult
Mott the Hoople
Golden Earring
Luther Vandross
The Spinners
Grace Jones
The Four Tops
Santana
Eurythmics
Earth Wind & Fire
Maroon 5
Heart
Pretenders
Boz Scaggs
Temptations
The Doors
Jefferson Starship
Chris Botti
Pointer Sisters
The Crusaders
WAR
Manhattan Transfer
TOTO
Undisputed Truth
Rose Royce
Dionne Warwick
Randy Crawford
Linda Ronstadt
Deep Purple
Rent Soundtrack
AIDS Relief...Cole Porter Songs
....and a lot of compilations....

I have multiples of a lot of the artists..I tried to just list each artist once...

I have an insane amount of vinyl ...fills a whole room...and the artists I like would take pages..this is just the list of things I travel with Smile

I don't stick with one genre of music. There are about multiple genres I don't really like but have a couple of songs from like Country and Rap. Then there are genres I hate like screaming metal and death rock. I listen mainly to rock and pop I guess like Adele and Imagine Dragons. Sad and depressing artists and songs, I like.

My secret songs I listen to are scores, soundtracks, and musicals. I listen to a lot of Twilight Saga, Harry Potters, and The Lord of the Rings scores by Andre Desplat, Howard Shore, Cameron Burr, Nicholas Hooper, John Williams, The Soundtrack to the Twilight movies are pretty good to and have had me add tons of new songs by different artists like the Editors and Christi Perri. I love listening to some Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserable, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Musical Episode, and Disney Songs.

My absolute favorite music though is Christmas Songs. Most of them anyway. I can listen to them anywhere and at any time of the day or year. They can make me feel very happy when I'm down. I also love to sing along with them, which probably is the reason why I love them so much.

I don't like everything, but what I like covers a lot of ground. Some of the genres I like:

* 80s pop/rock, post-punk, new wave and "college rock"

* college/indie/modern rock

* pop instrumentals from the 1950s through the 1980s, especially soul and funk

* "classical", especially early, Renaissance and baroque

* country from 1940-1970

I also have a folder on my iPod with every number one song in America from 1890 until 2007. (I never got around to updating it after that...)

Lex

I like a decent amount of variety when it comes to music, when I first started to get into music it was rock and heavy metal, though. The first band I liked on my own with any influence was the Deftones.

I listen to Metal (a lot of different sub genres of it), some hardcore, some pop punk, some punk. In recent years I have been getting into a lot of electronic music, not any specific sub genre, just generally. I also like some Pop music as well.

Lately I have been listening to the new Slipknot, I am just really clinging to this album. Maybe it is nostalgia of my angst teenager years, but also the fact that I love their image really.

Le Matos, VHS Glitch and Perturnator are what else I have been listening to. All electronic. Specifically I have been Le Matos most often out of these 3. Their album "Join Us" to me is an absolute flawless one.

I recognized and have on my ipod about 50% of the bands you have listed in your list, Jason.

For me, I listen to a good deal of music in a lot of genres from popular and alternative rock, to trip hop, crooners, classical, etc.

It's much easier to list what I -won't- listen to, which is.... country (and anything with that "country twang" to it), anything by Rush, what I would classify as metal-head music (serious amounts of screaming, screeching, or metallic scraping type sounds in the music).

I listen to a whole plethora of music, but, I have my select favorites. When I was younger (High School mostly) I was mainly only into Metal, some Punk and Hardcore later on (always been a punk fan); Hip-Hop every now and then and same with Country and Blues. Over the last few years I've pretty much focused my energy on bands that have influenced me musically in my writing and playing. But, lately I've almost stopped playing altogether so it's a little complicated to say the least at the moment....

But, with Slipknot dropping their new album this past week, they're all I've been listening to lately. And they've also helped me through some pretty hard times in my life. Lately, I've taken a turn for the worst and Slipknot has been the perfect prescription.

Anyway, as for my "list" - it's eclectic:
Slipknot
Hank 3
Jedi Mind Tricks
Hypocrisy
Belphegor
Ill Bill
Hank Williams
George Jones
Wu-Tang Clan
M.O.P.
Big L
David Allen Coe
Cannibal Corpse
Napalm Death
The Ramones
The Misfits
Blood For Blood
D.R.I.
SSD Control
Dead Kennedys
Whitechapel
Carnifex
Immolation
Woods of Ypres
Rush
Rob Zombie
Metallica
Slayer
Anthrax
Megadeth
Rose Funeral
Eminem
Kittie
Five Finger Death Punch
Tenacious D
Lamb of God
Hatebred
Heaven Shall Burn
Caliban
Marduk
Mayhem
Immortal
etc, etc, etc, etc.

Needless to say, I've ALWAYS gravitated towards heavy, fast and dark styles of music and other art forms lol

I always liked what Tom Araya from Slayer said in an interview when asked about the lyrical content and themes of the band:
"Arts a reflection of society and we happen to pick on the darker side of it"
Tom's also a practicing Roman Catholic I might add Wink hahaha
So lost in your addiction
The solemn comfort of your grave
If you close your eyes the light can't take it away

Reach back behind your pride
And pull the thorn from the burning pain in your side

Demon Hunter - Not I

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:I recognized and have on my ipod about 50% of the bands you have listed in your list, Jason.

For me, I listen to a good deal of music in a lot of genres from popular and alternative rock, to trip hop, crooners, classical, etc.

It's much easier to list what I -won't- listen to, which is.... country (and anything with that "country twang" to it), anything by Rush, what I would classify as metal-head music (serious amounts of screaming, screeching, or metallic scraping type sounds in the music).

Ugh! I LOVE Rush!! lol "...To mold a new reality, closer to the heart. Closer to the heart" :p
So lost in your addiction
The solemn comfort of your grave
If you close your eyes the light can't take it away

Reach back behind your pride
And pull the thorn from the burning pain in your side

Demon Hunter - Not I

oh boy... where do I start?

I'm picky about music. It has to be original, intelligent and performed professionally. I cringe when I hear formula music that's been stamped out of song writing factories.

Here's lyrics from Bo Burnham's "Repeat Stuff" that summarizes how I feel about most music I hear.

[COLOR="Blue"]America says we love a chorus,
But don't get complicated and bore us,
Though meaning might be missing,
We need to know the words after just one listen,
So repeat stuff... repeat stuff... repeat stuff... repeat stuff... repeat stuff... repeat stuff... repeat stuff... repeat stuff... repeat stuff... repeat stuff... repeat stuff... repeat stuff... repeat stuff... repeat stuff... repeat stuff... [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]I love my baby, and you know I couldn't live without her.
But now I need to make every girl think this song's about her.
Just to make sure that they spread it like the plague,
so I describe my dream girl as really, really vague.
Like, I love your hands because your fingerprints are like no other.
I love your eyes and their blueish, brownish, greenish color.
I love it when you smile, that you smile wide.
And I love how your torso has an arm on either side.
[/COLOR]

Here's the video. Bo's great in concert. We can't wait until he goes on tour again.

Also I can't put up with "whiney white millionaire syndrome" as my Dad calls it. That's when great rockers turn 40 and turn singing whiney music... Elton.. Sting... Phil Collins... Peter Gabriel... Paul McCartney... You need to hear my Dad make fun of them. He does great screwed up version of Tourettes syndome songs like Collin's "Susudio".

He does Sting's Tourette hit, "do do do da da da" with an oriental accent about taking a shit in the kitchen of a chinese restaurant.

Some new country music is good. Rap. No. Old Rock? Yes.
So far since I came in from school I've listened to Dream Theater, Dire Straights, Billy Currington, Sleepy Man Banjo Band, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Fun, Nora Jones, BLAKE MILLS right now >>>