Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard to imagine something more horrific
Do we really need yet another super sized cruise ship? Would you enjoy an "intimate" Caribbean cruise with 5,500 of your closest friends? Imagine all those people disembarking on a tiny island, while four other ships are disgorging passengers at the same time.

Why would you have a broadwalk lined with trees on a ship?

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles...8&adbpl=tw
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Usually tiny Islands do not have docks to accommodate these mega cruisers.. if they do..
The'll schedule 1 or 2 boats per day..three times a week.

When cruise lines announce these specs and features,they usually sound off the wall ridiculous..
Till you see it for yourself..

My best friend's (since I was 17) late husband was creative director of Celebrity Cruise Lines And Celebrity's Cirque Du Soliel Productions. ..
He would have us tour these mega cruisers before the maiden passenger voyage... I was pretty much as skeptical as you are...

They spend billions to design clutter free layouts.
You would think "claustrophobia" but you'd be in for a shock.

Let me cut this short and say..
If you run into a hot guy at check in..
Get his number..
There is a 70% chance you won't see him again..

Scores of dining rooms,restaurants,
Gyms,
Activity centers for all interests, spas, malls,bars,clubs, hang out joints, libraries, etc..

You might actually love it.

Anocxu Wrote:You might actually love it.

Sorry, I would absolutely loathe it. Even if someone paid for me to go, wild horses wouldn't drag me aboard.

LONDONER Wrote:Sorry, I would absolutely loathe it. Even if someone paid for me to go, wild horses wouldn't drag me aboard.
Haha..
Exactly what I said..
Lmao..

I was on the Voyager of the Seas when she was the biggest, and on the RMS Queen Mary 2 when SHE was the biggest... both now eclipsed by RCCL's mega monsters.

I'm a big ship fan (as in old passenger liners) and these are like another planet. We had fun but it is not like a ship so much as a floating theme park. And god forbid something happen to it.

I'm somewhat tempted to take a short cruise to Bermuda on the Anthem of the Seas one of the newest/biggest, which RCCL is offering next spring. There is only one port call, it would just be to experience the ship, and the cost is relatively low ($5xx US) .

Anocxu Wrote:Usually tiny Islands do not have docks to accommodate these mega cruisers.. if they do..
The'll schedule 1 or 2 boats per day..three times a week.

When cruise lines announce these specs and features,they usually sound off the wall ridiculous..
Till you see it for yourself..

My best friend's (since I was 17) late husband was creative director of Celebrity Cruise Lines And Celebrity's Cirque Du Soliel Productions. ..
He would have us tour these mega cruisers before the maiden passenger voyage... I was pretty much as skeptical as you are...

They spend billions to design clutter free layouts.
You would think "claustrophobia" but you'd be in for a shock.

Let me cut this short and say..
If you run into a hot guy at check in..
Get his number..
There is a 70% chance you won't see him again..

Scores of dining rooms,restaurants,
Gyms,
Activity centers for all interests, spas, malls,bars,clubs, hang out joints, libraries, etc..

You might actually love it.

We lucked out on our last cruise (on the Serenade of the Seas in 2010) She is a good size, not crazy huge, but not only did we get to dock (not tender) at every port, we were the only ship there everyplace we stopped, so we had the islands to our selves.

ShiftyNJ Wrote:We lucked out on our last cruise (on the Serenade of the Seas in 2010) She is a good size, not crazy huge, but not only did we get to dock (not tender) at every port, we were the only ship there everyplace we stopped, so we had the islands to our selves.

You must have had a blast..
I would love to do a Holland American Cruise solo..

ShiftyNJ Wrote:I was on the Voyager of the Seas when she was the biggest, and on the RMS Queen Mary 2 when SHE was the biggest... both now eclipsed by RCCL's mega monsters.

I'm a big ship fan (as in old passenger liners) and these are like another planet. We had fun but it is not like a ship so much as a floating theme park. And god forbid something happen to it.

I'm somewhat tempted to take a short cruise to Bermuda on the Anthem of the Seas one of the newest/biggest, which RCCL is offering next spring. There is only one port call, it would just be to experience the ship, and the cost is relatively low ($5xx US) .

Well good luck if you do but I really and honestly don't see the point.

Anocxu Wrote:You must have had a blast..
I would love to do a Holland American Cruise solo..

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND to anybody who cruises but ESPECIALLY if you are going solo to go to http://www.cruisecritic.com as soon as you are booked and sign up for the "roll call" ... we did this on that same cruise I mentioned, and I was able to talk with other people who would be on the ship at the same time. I am not great at breaking the ice with strangers in person but I had about 14 people with whom whom I'd already been chatting... one couple, who had been to the islands before, planned a few great shore excursions and invited me to join them; I had a really nice time (none of my actual travel companions group to go, and they missed out.

LONDONER Wrote:Well good luck if you do but I really and honestly don't see the point.

Well, you're right of course; there isn't one. It's just a means of having fun and the companies making money. The old liners were "the only way to cross" and thus served a purpose.. with this it is the nautical equivalent of joyriding. I really do wish they would improve the environmental impact these ships have.