Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The catholic church
The catholic church often complains about the need to protect religious freedom. What about protecting real democracy, the church behaves like a secret organisation controlled by a small minority of religious fanatics.

Catholics make up 17.4% of the world's population, around 1.13 billion according to the Vatican's new statistics yearbook, which is based on figures for 2006. Let them decide who runs the Catholic church by allowing open elections of cardinals and the Pope.

At present Popes are elected by the College of Cardinals meeting in a Conclave, a secret ballot by a select few. The maximum number of Cardinal Electors allowed at any one time is 120, who can vote for a Pope.

To be elected Pope, one Cardinal must receive at least two-thirds of the votes (80 votes required). Except that, under the new rules established by Pope John Paul II, if a certain number of ballots have taken place without any Cardinal being elected Pope, then the Cardinals may then elect by simple majority (61 votes required).

People elect the people who run our country, why can't people also elect their religious leaders. Instead of being dictated to by a small minority of religious fanatics, who think they are better qualifed to teach us how to live.

Sorry folks, need to rant. Reading the BULLSHIT coming out from the Vatican lately makes me mad sometimes.Blahblah

( I do acknowledge and commend the good work done by some good hard working local catholic priests around the world).Clap

And that's not even the half of it!

Lion : Thinking of becoming a pope one day? Supergrin

Nice theory, but it only makes sense from the outside. If the religion in question has rules for the appointment of its leaders the rank and file do not go against them, more's the pity.

I have nothing nice to say so I will just not say anything

Thanks Amigo but no, I'm an atheist and a sinner so they would not have me. Laugh

Rychard,

If the general mass of Catholics decided who became Pope, they would also in effect be deciding Catholic theology, so surely they would all then be Protestants?

Rychard the Lionheart Wrote:People elect the people who run our country, why can't people also elect their religious leaders.

On a more serious note, in a free country we get to choose our religion which is why we don't need to be able to choose its leaders. In an un-free country there are far worse things than being unable to choose a religion's leaders.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

In a free country your have a chance to vote for the people you want to run the country, Left , Centre or Right. But the Catholic church does not allow its church membership to have the right to vote on the people controlling the church. In an non-free country you have no free rights on government or religion.

In a free country Catholics who don't like the Pope's policies can leave the church, even set up their own.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I believe King Henry VIII did just that but for his own reasons. If it was not for him we would still be a Catholic country, a horrible thought me thinks.