Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hmm, in a transitional depression?
Hey guys,

As you know, I've been kinda going through a bit of a emotional time in the last while, but I'm still seeing a therapist which is helping a lot. However, in this odd time of my life, I've noticed some strange things happening to me. I've been going through irrational mood swings, like I will feel fine, then want to cry, then feel like shit, then feel good again, its really annoying since its happening at work. I'm usually very level headed, but somedays as I've left to go to my lunch hour, I had tears going down my face and nothing really spurned it on.

Also, I've lost my appetite. I went like two days without eating last week and even when I feel a tinge of hunger, I'll try to eat but after the first bite I feel sick. I've noticed that I've lost weight, but this isn't exactly how I wanted to do it. I was speaking to someone privately and they said it sounds like I'm depressed. However, I'm thinking that its more to do with this transitional period I'm going through, that I'm not ready in some ways to fully be out.

I don't know if you guys have any thoughts on the matter?

Do you get medications ? That can be a reason for the loss of you appetite ... Since I get Morphine in a relatively high dose I have the same problems from time to time ... best is to buy food you really like.... and tell it the doctor.

And for your mood swings : Try rosemary tea... 2 cups over the day ... but not in the evening.

fenris Wrote:Do you get medications ? That can be a reason for the loss of you appetite ... Since I get Morphine in a relatively high dose I have the same problems from time to time ... best is to buy food you really like.... and tell it the doctor.

And for your mood swings : Try rosemary tea... 2 cups over the day ... but not in the evening.

Nope, I'm not on any meds (I probably wouldn't take them either even if I were prescribed some).

XRIMO Wrote:Nope, I'm not on any meds (I probably wouldn't take them either even if I were prescribed some).

I think you should tell your doctor about the mood swings. Mood swings are a sign for a depression and a medication would help a lot. Talking with a psychologist can help ... but maybe there are much more possibilities.... a blood screening for serotonine etc. can be very useful. I get amytryphtiline again pains .. but normally it is a medication against depressions... and it is again mood swings, too.... and it works... before I took them I was sometimes happy... but now I´m always grumpy Confusedmile:

I don't think its that severe, but it is something I'm going to bring up in my next session.

Have you ever looked into SAD (seasonal affective disorder)? Perhaps it is a transitional depression but made worse by the timing of the year. Here's more on it:
Seasonal affective disorder - PubMed Health

I felt like this when I was living with my parents. I could not come out to them while I was there. I had been with my b/f for a long time and we broke up and I had to move back with my parents. And they werent in agreeance with my sexuality. So it made things hard for me see my boyfriend. I couldnt talk to them about it and they wouldnt listen, so it was hard. It was an emotional roller coaster AT ALL TIMES. I had no one to talk to and it seemed it would never end. My emotions were up and down like yours. What stood out to me in your post was that it is happening at work. I know thats tough. I am from the states and live in Michigan. During my time of trouble I found myself crying nearly everyday at work, but this was at the tail end of me realizing something about love. I really dont know what to say other than to come back here and keep getting how you feel out on paper/blogging. I wish you the best.

It could be a number of factors really, including what others have mentioned; abrupt and erratic depressive/anxiety related mood swings can be indicative of a mild form of bipolar disorder aswell, usually associated with chemical imbalances that Fenris mentioned. I'd certainly have a chat with your therapist about this. It may just take time to work through all the emotions related to your coming out, having spent so long wrestling with yourself this could all be a manifestation of your subconscious trying to work through the healing process.
The mind is a real mystery sometimes. Work through this with your therapist and be as honest and expressive as you can with them about how you are truly feeling.
Hope things work out for you.

The Problem with mind problems is that the solution sometimes is so easy that nobody think on it .... chemical unbalance, a loss of ferron, a smell that reminds you on sad times and bring them back in a few moments.... sometimes light can help .. my pain-therapist said I should try red and yellow light.... and it didn´t work, by fortune I tried Ice-blue and Sea-green ... and that works in a few seconds. And for my opinion light works on depressions, too.
What I think about the most psychotherapists is, that they only work with conversations... and if someone have a unbalance in maybe ferron.. he can talk his tongue to frays and it didn´t works... so use a second therapist if the first don´t reach a goal.... only the sign " therapist" on his front door is not a sign that he is a good therapist :-)

fenris Wrote:The Problem with mind problems is that the solution sometimes is so easy that nobody think on it .... chemical unbalance, a loss of ferron, a smell that reminds you on sad times and bring them back in a few moments.... sometimes light can help .. my pain-therapist said I should try red and yellow light.... and it didn´t work, by fortune I tried Ice-blue and Sea-green ... and that works in a few seconds. And for my opinion light works on depressions, too.
What I think about the most psychotherapists is, that they only work with conversations... and if someone have a unbalance in maybe ferron.. he can talk his tongue to frays and it didn´t works... so use a second therapist if the first don´t reach a goal.... only the sign " therapist" on his front door is not a sign that he is a good therapist :-)

Very true, Fenris... very true. My father uses lights to cure different kinds of conditions and I'm thinking you are right about lights... It's a much underused therapy. If lasers which are concentrated light can mend us, why couldn't other light waves do the same in smaller doses?