Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It gets better (an update on my coming out)
A while ago I posted a thread about my coming out (at 35) at the time mostly to reassure folks who are not still in school, college or university (basically that teenage/early-20 age group that most people seem to come out at) that it isn't too late.

I had also posted this on my blog: http://colinmackay.co.uk/blog/2010/01/23...he-closet/

I'm hoping to add some more encouragement with this post to those who are still worried about their sexuality and their acceptance of it.

After a few false starts (and at one point I thought I'd never find a boyfriend), I found a boyfriend (through an introduction by a bisexual friend of mine to his ex) and he proposed to me last Christmas and I said "yes".

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was at a friend's house warming party this weekend and another friend of mine reminded me of an evening in the pub I had when I was still just coming out. I was, at the time, upset about something. I don't recall the detail (probably still reeling after speaking with my sister about something - she has a wonderful way of being supportive yet making you feel incredibly guilty at the same time)

Anyway, I had a couple of drinks and then I spilled everything to this friend of mine and his girlfriend. They were very supportive and helped me not be so upset about certain things.

Cut to this weekend and my friend said that in the time between then and now I've become a much happier person. My smile is easier and I'm more comfortable about life in general.

Anyway, I thought it was such a nice comment that I'd share it. Hopefully it will give hope to anyone still struggling with coming out that things do get better.

Thank you, Colin, that is a lovely piece of news. It's true, I've seen how my life has become richer in the past 9 years. Yes, folks, NINE years!!! Confusedmile:Confusedmile:Confusedmile:
May your life be exciting and bright, Colin... Bighug
PS, added a little notelet to your blog...

thats really great Colin...
hope i could do the same soon Big Grin
wishing u happiness for all ur life
Bighug

Thanks for posting this Colin. I'm still struggling with telling my parents, even at my age. Hopefully it will get better for me soon.

Thanks for posting this, It feels only yesterday you joined the forums...

I'm glad everything has turned out good for you Smile

Smile nice. This is a good thread.

Congratulations, Colin! Glad it has gone so well for you. I was a little older than you when I came out and am by no means the oldest one on here to do so.

During the week I met someone I hadn't seen for years and they remarked how well I looked too. Maybe they were just being polite, but the burdens I carry today are nothing like as debilitating as being stuck in the closet without even knowing why it's so dark.

I agree. we hear lots of stories about bad comings out when people are discriminated against. Its great to hear the opposite end when it works out fine and even improves the persons life.
Lucky for me, coming out was great. everyone i know was really supportive and always reasured me that they havent changed their outlook toward me Smile

Thanks for sharing dude.
Are you married now then?
congrats Big Grin

Oh.... and i was 17 when i came out Smile
got in there early lol

princealbertofb Wrote:Thank you, Colin, that is a lovely piece of news. It's true, I've seen how my life has become richer in the past 9 years. Yes, folks, NINE years!!! Confusedmile:Confusedmile:Confusedmile:
May your life be exciting and bright, Colin... Bighug
PS, added a little notelet to your blog...

Thanks for your comment - I've also approved your comment on my blog.

Happy Birthday - I hope you have a fantastic day.