Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice about a guy...
So I feel like I know what everyone's answer will be but I guess part of me is holding out that someone thinks it might be something and the other part wants to have a universal answer. So here goes...

There's this guy I work with who I've slowly developed a minor crush on ever since he started working in my office about 5+ months ago. At first, there was nothing because I honestly don't find him physically attractive whatsoever. However, as I sort of got to know him, I really started to like his personality. At first he thought I was straight but once he found out I was gay, he still treated me the same. The only difference was that he would make gay jokes but it's not all the time. And everyone in my office tends to make fun of each other all the time. It's what makes us all get along so well. I noticed that he tends to bother me and pick on me more than he does with anyone else. My coworkers noticed it as well, even saying maybe there's a reason for it, but at the same time I'm unsure of whether they were just saying that just for the hell of it or if they really believed it. And besides, he does have a girlfriend and he does say he is straight. And I know that should be my answer right there but I guess I'm being way too hopeful. So anyway, he will bother me the most, mess up things at my desk and mostly my desk only, he sometimes gets extremely close to me when talking to me and he never has a problem when I make sexual jokes towards him. He has also made comments on my car, telling me how he doesn't like it and how I should get a knew one... I usually do it to try to make him feel uncomfortable but he never gets uncomfortable. Instead, he usually just seems to get quiet. Then there was a party that my coworker had that I was looking forward to because I figured we could be a bit more laid back and since there would be drinks involved, the atmosphere would be even more laid back. Unfortunately, he brought his girlfriend so he was with her most of the night. But before I got there, he text me asking me where I was, told me I looked weird in regular clothes (this was the first time he's seen me outside of work) and constantly told me to go dance because his girlfriend kept telling him she wanted to dance. At one point, he told me to go dance again and when I said no, he said he would loan me his girlfriend. When I said no again, he asked if I wanted him to dance with me and once again, I said no. Then I text him accidentally on purpose (very immature, I know, but I get stupid sometimes when drinking) saying that he sucked and he assumed I said that because he had left before I did. So basically what I want to know is... am I looking to much into this? Should I stop looking for something that isn't there?

welcome to gayspeak

Since he already knows you are gay, and he hasn't made a move on you after 5 months,,,, it sounds like he's straight and only interested in being your friend.

Don't get too emotionally attached to this one. Even though he is being really friendly with you, it doesn't mean he wants a romantic relationship.

Best of luck,
Jim
We Have Elvis !!

Welcome to the forums.

You do realise that if this flirting at work thing goes badly, he probably has a case for sexual harassment in the work place?

All it's going to take is one false move, and some self-loathing internalised homophobia on his part and you'll be in a lot of trouble and could even lose your job.

If he is experimental, you'd be safer to pursue this issue away from work. Wherever you pursue it, you have his girlfriend to consider. If anything does happen between you, you have to consider his reaction after you've done the deed. Something like that can cause someone a lot of psychological harm. The sexual identity is a central part of the self image and that isn't something that should be tampered with lightly.

Do you have much experience of gay dating? Dating and sex that is with other gay guys?

You say that this could just be a crush. It's easy to project assumptions on to a person when you have a limited context in which to place the object of your crush. He could have habits or idiosyncrasies about him away from work that really turn you off. At work you don't see them because we are a different person - we all wear two faces!

From what you've told us, it sounds like you need to exercise some caution in the work place. You might want to start recording the dates, times and places of his flirting behaviour too - just in case he makes a complaint about your behaviour (just don't let anyone see you making your notes!).

Just be careful, you could lose your job and or fuck up his life if he's not ready for something at such a level that you clearly do.

Pursuing things out of work is safer, if you really must but don't be surprised if you're met with strong denials and even anger.

Good luck!

I'm not so worried about the whole sexual harassment thing because we are all like that at work.... we are all very open and playful, not at all serious. At times, I've thought about that but I'm not too worried. At one point too, I told him how I want my other coworker (I was joking but we all think he's gay) and he said that he was too pretty for me and when I showed that I was offended, he said "I don't mean pretty as in attractive. I mean he's too girly. You need a man." And I don't have much experience as far as dating goes so... yeah. And as far as him making a move... I've thought about that as well but idk... I kinda thought maybe he's unsure so he hasn't said anything? I realize this is probably just wishful thinking. I just... I hate falling for people I can't have, which is 99% of the time.

"I hate falling for people I can't have, which is 99% of the time."

Do you think this provides some insight in to your present situation?

I know that probably is my answer right there... but I tend to feel that way about everything. I have a low self esteem. And as far as if I would act differently if he had a boyfriend vs a girlfriend... I don't know. Probably not because I tend to be awkward. Plus... I wouldn't want to try anything if he's taken. And I don't necessarily want to try anything now. I just.. I don't know.

He has a girlfriend, period.

Go watch this video, it tells the story...

There was one here in the long ago times.

An Ancient One.

He could have dissected this one in five minutes.

The question before this house is that Marshlander do return. All those who are in favour say eye...