Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you pro-life
When I see people passionate about pro-life being different then I'll change my opinion on them. Right now there's no other honest way for me to see them. I've said why and what it comes down to is this: the life is sacred to them only while in the womb (and even before!), but not after, and the idea of helping struggling single mothers after is downright offensive to many of them.

What's stupid to me is comparing my reasoned assertion to their saying the fight for marriage equality is so we can have orgies and molest boys. Last time I checked one didn't have to be married for that, marriage doesn't help in orgies and other debauchery, and generally speaking marriage makes all that harder and even riskier in legal terms.

In addition, most gay groups publicly denounce NAMBLA and the like, much the same way as many of the people I made my statement about (and stand behind) denounce Westboro Baptist (which, btw, is why I don't ever equate them with the majority, because the majority has clearly spoken in condemning them, which proves they can condemn what I condemn IF THEY WANT to). Another thing the churches and evangelicals can do to change my mind is to remove pedophile priests instead of aiding & abetting their crimes, work to create charities to help single mothers not feel so abandoned (I don't see it as ironic that Sweden has less abortion than we do because there's a social system in place so that being a single mother doesn't destroy their lives), decide that people who rape or otherwise abuse children (regardless of whether it's het or homo in nature) is more deserving of death than gays (or at least going after the child abusers and those who arm children and the genocide with as much passion). At the very least they could wage a crusade against rape culture as vigorously as against abortion (or anything empowering of women), and when they attack a child for getting an abortion that they came down just as hard on the rapist (so if they excommunicate one then they excommunicate the other). Hell, just enough laity on blogs affirming their strong stance on being pro-life but calling the churches on their insanity & hypocrisy as well as "solutions" like forcing all women who have a miscarriage to be checked to make sure it wasn't an abortion (and also call to vote these people out, stop supporting their organizations with money until they straighten up, etc) would make me reconsider. (Btw, I only mean to refer to those passionately pro-life, not people associated with them like this). Until I see that happen, however, I stand by what I said.

I'm undecided to tell you the truth. I am against partial birth abortions, I don't have to go into the graphic details about that procedure but it is very grisly. 1st trimester abortions, I don't know. The fetus may be living biologically but I don't think it's consciously aware of anything.

For most of my life I have struggled with severe depression and anxiety. At times my life has been a living hell. I often feel that if my parents had decided to abort me then that would have been the best for all of us. However every potential aborted fetus if given the chance to be carried to term and to live an ideal life probably won't have the issues I had. So I just don't know...

ironically enough I've come across pro-lifers that are also pro-death penalty.
I don't know how you can explain that logic.

Undreamt Wrote:ironically enough I've come across pro-lifers that are also pro-death penalty.
I don't know how you can explain that logic.
Innocent until proven guilty.

Lots of Pro Lifers are for the military too......I have no words.

Mick

No I'm not supportive of preventing women terminating unwanted pregnancies.
I know it sounds a bit mean and inhumane but I'm in that mood today: I don't really think foetuses and even young children have the same perception of consciousness, and death might not be such a terrible thing in their eyes. It could be completely neutral. I mean the association of death with negativity is based on social interaction, and subsequent culture.

Therefore, the child is not a valid party whose point of view we really need to consider. Not all babies want to get borned. <--- sometimes god doesn't appreciate your miracle.

So the needs of the mother outweigh the [questionably non existent] needs of the foetus.

However, this point of view only applies for the purely political and base ethical argument in predominantly western countries.

I think it's also necessary to consider the possibility that abortions become accepted as a contraceptive method, which it is not.
I think we need to be careful not to promote promiscuity as acceptable, nor promote sex as a thing to thrown about as a casual thing that has little consequence.

And then there is question of whether the individual or the culture should have authority.
For example should a Catholic woman be allowed to have an abortion if she wants to? Or is her adherence to her devotion as a Catholic supersede her personal emotional reasons for wanting an abortion.
Well actually that question above is irrelevant to the thread. That's another topic.

I'm pro health and if we outlaw abortion then we will have back alley coat hanger abortions again so I'd rather women have a legal, safer alternative if they are going to do it anyway. I'd opt for adopting the child out over having an abortion unless there were other reasons like rape or incest to have the abortion but I do think it needs to stay legal to have an abortion.

As has been said already, as a gay man it is mostly not up to me but up to the woman... the madness of most laws being made by men over womens' rights has to end!

There is a horrible case going on right now (forget which state in the USA). This man brings his wife into a catholic hospital who is having a massive heart attack. She is like 8 months pregnant with twins. *I am going by memory so all my facts may not be perfect but pretty close.

They lose the woman and the babies! The killer is that THE CATHOLIC HOSPITAL does not recognize the 8 month old twins as humans FOR INSURANCE purposes!!! The death certificate only lists one person as having died!!! Of course this goes against all catholic policies but the bishops in that area back up the decision of this hospital!

The husband sues the hospital and loses! He is going bankrupt with hospital fees, lawyer fees, etc! What madness!

Is this the foundation of Pro-Life?

So right, Frank. I'm afraid it's another instance of the Catholic church having double standards and being completely hypocritical, for the sake of money... ie Mammon.

Maybe some members will find this relevant/interesting:
Catholics discussing the hospitals actions.