Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Body Image
Circa 2009 -

I disliked to see my own reflection in a mirror. Mostly thanks to my injured left leg. My left leg bends a bit. It doesn't look pretty when I walk. It really made me feel half-empty and imperfect. I was ashamed and felt like a second class human.

What made the situation more challenging was the location of my job. My office building is located opposite of high end boutiques such as Gucci and Prada. I often bumped into their male salespersons in the street. Sometimes they stopped by at my office building since we have a cafeteria selling cheap food.

They all look perfect from head to toe. From body figure, hair, skin, clothing etc. I couldn't help to compare myself to them. They made me feel so imperfect.

One day I got so tired with the whole situation. I was tired with my own despair and self pity. I realized that my insecurity was slowly killing me. I cannot allow that. So I purposely walked in front of a mirror and gave my insecurity a big FU** you. Pardon my language.

I realized that my self pity doesn't make sense at all. "If I am that horrible in physical appearance, why on earth do guys still approach me?" I asked myself. "There must be something else that attracts them?"

I honestly do not know what is my utmost attractive quality/feature but I like to believe that it is my confidence.

There are a lot of people out there who are physically less fortunate that I am so I shouldn't whine. I should be happy and do my best to accept myself as who I am.

If Mr. Oscar Pistorius (South African Paralympic Athlete) can accept and triumph with his imperfection, I can too.

[Image: pistorius_reut.jpg]

My injured leg doesn't bother me anymore. Zilch. In fact, I embrace it and use it as my strongest quality physical feature. My imperfection is what makes me special and badass.

My point is no one is perfect. Even though imperfection seems kind of suck, imperfection is actually what makes each one us different and special. I always keep this in mind - No one is perfect but always do your best to bring out the best in you.

Welcome too Gayspeak and embrace yourself as who you are because you are awesome.