Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming out when in university.
I think just 'coming out a bit' would entail telling someone that you liked Katy Perry's outfits at the 2015 Superbowl, or something like that.

(That's meant to be a joke, by the way. I am gay and I have no interest in Katy Perry's outfits, nor do I have any interest in her music or the Superbowl or the Superbowl half-time show for that matter. Not that there's anything wrong with liking people's outfits. Outfits are meant to be appreciated... Well maybe that's not always the case, but I would assume that it is the case, a lot of the time.)

I think he meant coming out to one or two when he said coming out a bit - I can't be sure of course!

I would come out as soon as you feel fine with it - there won't be any issue with people at university (as others have said if they are bothered they just won't talk to you and that is there problem not yours).

Good luck with your exams and be super happy with your free education up north! :p

himself Wrote:I think just 'coming out a bit' would entail telling someone that you liked Katy Perry's outfits at the 2015 Superbowl, or something like that.

(That's meant to be a joke, by the way. I am gay and I have no interest in Katy Perry's outfits, nor do I have any interest in her music or the Superbowl or the Superbowl half-time show for that matter. Not that there's anything wrong with liking people's outfits. Outfits are meant to be appreciated... Well maybe that's not always the case, but I would assume that it is the case, a lot of the time.)

Oh god, I wouldn't have been offended by that and would've seen it as a joke btw. Also I already have came out to a few friends, but only two of them are still actually in school, although my closest one always seems to make slight jokes about it and nearly outs me pretty much everyday, but no one seems to notice it (some 12 year old said that if you punch a gay person you become gay, so he lightly hit me and said it was only 50% effective, he's bi)

LOL that's funny WeirdScot.

Yeah, I meant come out to some friends.
I came out to 1 guy in class and then a year later I happened to get myself asked while standing infront of the class and I told the truth. This was a few weeks before our final exams, but it felt SO good!
That was 5 years ago. Now it's just part of me and if conversation drifts to sparetime I will inevitably talk about my partner and our dog.

Cuddly Wrote:LOL that's funny WeirdScot.

Yeah, I meant come out to some friends.
I came out to 1 guy in class and then a year later I happened to get myself asked while standing infront of the class and I told the truth. This was a few weeks before our final exams, but it felt SO good!
That was 5 years ago. Now it's just part of me and if conversation drifts to sparetime I will inevitably talk about my partner and our dog.

How did they react? I probably would do it in the 5 weeks that I go back to school after my exams if I again felt 100% confident I had done super well in them. Then again when people just assume and then joke about it.

WeirdScot Wrote:How did they react? I probably would do it in the 5 weeks that I go back to school after my exams if I again felt 100% confident I had done super well in them. Then again when people just assume and then joke about it.

At first some didn't believe me. I proved it to them by speaking the lyrics of any Lady Gaga or Britney Spears song they named. Just kidding.

The few who didn't believe at first joined the others in not caring. Wonderful bottomline of nobody cares.

Cuddly Wrote:At first some didn't believe me. I proved it to them by speaking the lyrics of any Lady Gaga or Britney Spears song they named. Just kidding.

The few who didn't believe at first joined the others in not caring. Wonderful bottomline of nobody cares.

If that was to happen to me it would be so hilarious, being so paranoid and stuff to do it and then everyone's just like 'meh no one cares'

It was very much like that for me. I came out at college and no one was in the least bit surprised given how inseparable my "best friend" and I were. At uni I was already living with my boyfriend when I started and so it was easy to say, when asked about my living arrangements (which college I was living in etc), that I lived with my boyfriend off-campus. It felt like much less of an announcement than, "I'm gay". It never even raised an eyebrow.

I started coming out just before I graduated college. A few people were surprised, but everybody took it well. I assumed they would, because I had cultivated some damn good friends over the years. Smile Would I have been OK if the entire school had known? In retrospect, probably - it was a pretty open-minded school even back in the late 80s and early 90s.

Lex

Well it seems very likely to me that it'll probably end up a big deal seeing as I spin most things as big deals. Personally the whole school knowing about my sexuality and no doubt commenting about it, cause it's just how things work there is a big nono for me.