Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you care about Pride?
All I want to say, [MENTION=24452]baristajedi[/MENTION], is Hurrah for you !!! :biggrin:

Yes, I attend pride in my town of 6000 people, because wouldn't it be awful if there was a pride event and no one showed up! We don't really enjoy it, but feel it's important to be there. At least we bump into a few people we haven't seen in ages. Maybe we go so my BF can tip the drag performers? The women do a lot of burlesque and the guys do the standard drag acts.

Funny thing, everything's so laid back in northern New Mexico that we do pride in August instead of June! It's the land of mañana.

I've never gone, but I would like to. I imagine the sense of community and support showing up for everybody. The word pride is a bit of a loaded word, but I don't want to get into semantics in this thread.

I don't attend every year, but I have attended more than a few marches.

I've even marched in one. This is me from the NYC pride march in 2007.

[Image: PrideParade009.jpg]
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Oh I forgot to tell a funny pride story. One year we had some out of town rabid bible-thumpers come to town to protest us gays. It was maybe 5 people, full of angry hate, holding signs about fags and slinging insults through a megaphone.

Word spreads quickly in a small town. Since the gays had leased the public park for the pride event, a simple call to the police that the protesters were not welcome in the park kept the protesters far on the outskirts, standing on a sidewalk where no one in the event could hear them. When I passed by, the lead protester was on the phone to his attorney, trying to find a way into the park. Not a chance.

Then oddly, the car they arrived in got 4 flat tires. Then oddly, every tire store in town was booked for the the rest of that day and closed for the next day. We never learned how they ever got out of town, but I figure they bought every can of fix a flat they could find and limped out of town at 40 miles an hour.

Oddly, they never came back again.

Guess you don't show up in an arts colony and get far protesting the gays.

Confuzzled4 Wrote:I've never gone, but I would like to. I imagine the sense of community and support showing up for everybody. The word pride is a bit of a loaded word, but I don't want to get into semantics in this thread.

I'm curious why you say that pride is a loaded word.

[MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION] Pride can lead to tribalism and narrow mindedness. When I hear pride I think of something like pride in a country, no matter what they do they're right. Maybe I listened to this old George Carlin routine too much.

Confuzzled4 Wrote:[MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION] Pride can lead to tribalism and narrow mindedness. When I hear pride I think of something like pride in a country, no matter what they do they're right. Maybe I listened to this old George Carlin routine too much.

George Carlin is entertaining but I disagree, maybe because I view it from a different perspective. I think it's important to consider power dynamics as a context, as well as some other things. I agree there can be a fine line between pride that is dangerous and pride that is helpful. But at least through my life experiences, I've come to embrace having pride about various aspects of my identity and see it as a healthy and empowering thing.

I've went to PrideFest 6 years in a row in one city (and will maybe go again this year). Have also gone to one in another city 4 years (but split up/not in a row).

Personally I enjoy going, but I also only go to the festival part / skip the parade.

Alvin Wrote:I was told we had PrideFest in Shanghai, but I never found out where and when. Bummer.
Not sure if it'll be helpful, but found this through google: www.shpride.com/2017/06/08/pride9-booklet/?lang=en